Breastfeeding
Options

Zoloft while breastfeeding?

Background: I've been on Zoloft for the past three years due to anxiety and panic attacks. I had to quit cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant.

This pregnancy has been filled with panic attacks...all usually over stupid things like not having freezer meals or feeling sad that my time with just me and hubs is coming to an end.

With that being said, I'm terrified of PPD. I know that it doesn't happen for everyone, but I'm very tempted to start taking Zoloft again when the baby comes out.

My doctor says that she thinks it is perfectly fine to take while breastfeeding. Maybe she's right...it just seems too good to be true.

Anyone else have experience with this med during breastfeeding?

ETA: If you read this long, rambling, hormonal post, bless you!
july sig challenge: babies are not dogs
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Zoloft while breastfeeding?

• Options
    Hi! I took Zoloft during my pregnancy. I did wait until the second trimester which eased my fear of birth defects. I've continued to take it and have been breast feeding for 6 months. My dr said there was no safety issues taking Zoloft while breast feeding or during pregnancy. You need to take care of yourself while you are pregnant... So I personally would get back on it if I were you. Plus, if you are worried about PPD (I was too) my dr said it takes about a month to get into your system so I would suggest starting it at least one month before your EDD. Hope this helps.

Ps I have a very happy and healthy 6 month old baby girl :) so Zoloft has t effected her at all.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That was supposed to be "hasn't" at the end ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Perfectly safe to take while bfing. :)
    There are three reasons for breast-feeding: the milk is always at the right temperature; it comes in attractive containers; and the cat can't get it.  ~Irena Chalmers
  • Options
    I didn't take Zoloft, but I took Citalopram/Celexa for both my pregnancy and while breastfeeding. I haven't had any issues. I know there is a chart out there that shows the percentages of the drug that transfer through the breastmilk. The doctor felt the potential risks of taking an SSRI were much smaller than my chance of having an issue with depression or anxiety.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I feel much better knowing that it's safe. I just want to make sure I'm emotionally healthy to take care of my baby boy!
    july sig challenge: babies are not dogs
  • Options
    I didn't read other responses, but I'm on 25mg Zoloft and BFing my twins. We all seem ok :). I started the day they were born to avoid PPD given my history of depression and anxiety. Zoloft is the safest antidepressant while BFing. Good luck!
    Natural m/c Oct. 2005

Dx: balanced translocation and LPD

TTC since Oct 2011

BPF 02/19/12, EDD 10/31/12, natural m/c 02/28/12 (4w6d)

IVF (BCPs starting 10/30/12, ER 11/18/12, 5dt of 1 beautiful, healthy embryo 11/23/12)
    BFP 12/02/12, u/s @ 6w,5d showed 2 HBs! Identical twins!!
    Bed rest from 21w-35w due to short cervix, hospital bed rest from 23w-32w due to PTL
    Our rainbows were born 07/19/13 (36w, 5d)

• Options

I didn't read other responses, but I'm on 25mg Zoloft and BFing my twins. We all seem ok :). I started the day they were born to avoid PPD given my history of depression and anxiety. Zoloft is the safest antidepressant while BFing. Good luck!

I could've written this exactly... sans the twins :)

I brought up my history of PTSD & major depressive disorder and my OB & I thought it would be a good idea to be a few steps ahead.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"