C-sections
Options

Does C section=NICU?

It's a little early, but I am just thinking ahead.  I had a csection with my full term son and he ended up in the NICU later with persistent pulmonary hypertension.  Everyone I talked too that had a csection with a full term baby, the baby always ended up in the NICU.  So my question is, does a csection always equal to the baby going to the NICU?  I am planning on having another section with baby #2 but I won't if he/she will just end up in the NICU like DS did.  Thank you. 

Re: Does C section=NICU?

• Options
    My DS didn't go to the NICU either. C-section was because his head was enormous and he was stuck, but not in distress. I can only think of one instance where a friends c-section babies ended up in the NICU and it was because they super preemies.
  • Options
    No. I only know one baby who went to the NICU after a section and he was 4 weeks early. I had mine at 40 weeks and everyone else I know was term and no NICU time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have had 3 csections and only one went to the NICU.... born at 37 weeks but lungs were a bit premature still.  My first two were totally healthy.
    Daughter born July 2008; Daughter born March 2010 Son born August 2011
  • Options
    Neither of mine (40w5d and 37w) went to the NICU.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    No. My first (39w 4d) went to the NICU because she was in destress, which is why the csection was preformed. My second (37w 5d) never went to the NICU, he stayed in my room the whole time. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I had a 35 weeker and no NICU time was needed.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    DD was born at 41+ weeks, induced because she was well past her EDD, emergency c/s due to fetal distress.  DS was a planned RCS, I went into labor early at 38w5d, GD baby but average birth weight.  Neither of them went to the NICU.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • Options
    I had one at 36 weeks, 2 days and one at 37 weeks, 3 days and neither went to the NICU. With my first I asked the dr beforehand if he would go because of his age and she said there is no way to tell, she has had 34 weekers with no problems and 40 weekers would need oxygen.
  • Options
    In my opinion, not at all! I have had three c sections. All full term. One went to nicu (difficulty breathing during transition period) and the other two did not.
  • Options
    My full term DD did not go to the NICU even though she was csection for fetal distress. They did have a NICU team in the operating room though in case they were needed. My 2nd csection did go to the NiCu but he was born at 32 weeks, 5 days.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    I've had two C sections so far, and neither spent time in the NICU or had complications.
  • Options
    I had an emergency c-section at 36 weeks and DS went to the NICU for 3 hours just to be evaluated to make sure he was breathing good, keeping temp up, sugars were good just because he was early and so little (just under 6 pounds). He did fine. 
  • Options
    I've had 2 now and DD went to the nursery for a few hours, but that was for me to rest. They didn't have a NICU at all. With DS he stayed with me in the surgical room while they patched me up. SO got to hold him. Then we went to the recovery room and nursed/skin to skin right away. No NICU for him either.

I'd ask your hospital. Maybe it's their policy? If that's the case I'd just find a new hospital since that's just not cool.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS went to NICU but he was delivered early due to reduced heartrate/fetal movement. C/S had nothing to do with it- he had swallowed meconium and his lung collapsed after birth. If I had labored, he may not have made it. DD was perfectly healthy- never left my side.

• Options
    DD born at 39 weeks 1 day and no NICU. DS born at 39 weeks 3 days and went to NICU for 48 hours due to breathing issues.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    That's a relief to know not every c/s baby goes to the NICU. It looks like it depends on the baby. I appreciate everyone's personal story.  Thank you for sharing.  
  • Options
    Both my kids were born via c/s and neither one was in the NICU.  
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    My daughter was born via c section at 36weeks and she did not need any NICU time. 
    BFP #1 6/21/08 natural m/c 7/4/08 BFP #2 10/3/08 blighted ovum discovered 11/5/08 D&C 11/13/08 dx with hetero MTHFR 1/7/09 BFP #3 7/1/09 DS born 3/7/10 BFP #4 1/27/10 DD born 9/4/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

aandg said:
    My daughter was born via c section at 36weeks and she did not need any NICU time. 
    same!

I definitely worried she would need some being a bit early. But she stayed with me.
  • Options
    Mine did not go to the NICU either.
  • Options
    No def not.

My first was an emergency Csection perfectly healthy 10lb baby 
    My second was a RCS perfectly healthy 8lb baby

Neither ended up in the NICU
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Nope, my son was born four weeks early (36w1d) via C-section, and he didn't spend any time in the NICU.
  • Options
    I've had 3 c/s now with no NICU, including b/g twins born a month early. We've never had issues with our c/s.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    DD was never in the NICU.

• Options
    My daughter was born at 40 weeks and she didn't have to go to the NICU. She stayed in the nursery for a while though because they wanted to monitor her heart but she wasn't in there for very long and everything was fine.
  • Options
    My first was just shy of 37 weeks by ER-C/S and no NICU was needed
    My 2nd was 39wks 4 days by RCS and no NICU was needed
    and I'm hoping the same goes for my 3rd! The hospital I deliver at doesn't have a NICU either, the nearest one is 90 miles from my hospital. 
  • Options
    My first was an emergency c-section at 42wks due to a failed induction and my son was in distress at the end. He was a very healthy baby...never needed to go to the NICU
    photo 6aecdc21-d010-4990-8b8b-da468f75ece3_zps38a4dec0.jpgphoto 8c7926e4-3191-4d9f-8e13-2ba2d4b7296f_zps45188ab0.jpg
              Connor - 12/15/10                                     Abby - EDD 11/29/13
    Lilypie - (bLG7)
  • Options
    NICU isn't standard. DS1 ended up in it bc of suspected sepsis, but it wasn't related to being born via c/s.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options
    I've had two, one born at 39+2 days and the other at 39+ 5 days and neither were nicu babies, and they were both tiny just over 5 lbs
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
     Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My twins were born via c/s at 38w and no NICU. I delivered another baby this past May at 41w and again he needed no NICU.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I had a csection and no.
  • Options
    Had a section at 41 weeks and ds spent three days in nicu for collapsed lung, they really have no idea why that happened though, most likely just a freak thing and not section related.
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    No. DD was born by emergency c/s at 41w1d due to prolonged/severe bradychardia and NICU team was there but she didn't need to go. 

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My DD went to the NICU after my csection but only because that is standard for where I live. My DH went with her and he held her the entire time. She was only there until I got to my room.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"