Bed or crib? — The Bump
Two Under 2

Bed or crib?

My husband and I have been thinking about whether or not to move our son to a bed when our LO comes.  When LO arrives DS will be approximately 21 months. LO will spend 2-3 months in the bassinet in our room making DS approximately 2. 

At 2, would you consider changing to a bed? Or did you continue with a crib?  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bed or crib?

• We're moving C to a bed around that time, probably 20 months or so.  However, we're doing a montessori room so it will literally be a mattress on the floor.  If she rolls off, she'll be chilly but otherwise fine.  One of us will spend the first few nights either in her room or right next door.

Married DH 7/30/11

CSC arrived 5/7/12 

CHC arrived 6/2/14

• jesselayne8jesselayne8
    Tenth Anniversary 5000 Comments 250 Answers 500 Love Its
    edited October 2013

We are planning to move DD to a bed after her 2nd birthday when she is 25 or 26 months.  I think 2 is a good age.  However, it is recommended that you don't go a big transition 3 months before the birth of your 2nd baby or for 3-4 months after.  So if you are good with possibly keeping your second in your room up 5-6 months then you probably don't need a second crib. 

There are other people who move their kids at 15-18 months but that's just too young IMO.  DD is 21 months right now and I am not ready. 

Edit: we bought a second crib. Mine are 17 months apart and DS started sleeping in his crib at 3 wks.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 [email protected] Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am pregnant with our second and our son and new baby will be 21 months apart. We bought a toddler bed that has three high sides like a crib and a toddler bar on the front. Don't know if this will work yet, but I think this will be best for our family! Good luck!
  • We bought a second crib.  DS was 15 months when DD was born, and he stayed in his crib until he was 3.  DD#1 is STILL in her crib...although she has been climbing out lately, and we are planning on buying her a bed very soon.  I say go for the second crib - it was great having them contained for longer!
    TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We are planning to move DD to a bed after her 2nd birthday when she is 25 or 26 months.  I think 2 is a good age.  However, it is recommended that you don't go a big transition 3 months before the birth of your 2nd baby or for 3-4 months after.  So if you are good with possibly keeping your second in your room up 5-6 months then you probably don't need a second crib. 

There are other people who move their kids at 15-18 months but that's just too young IMO.  DD is 21 months right now and I am not ready. 

Edit: we bought a second crib. Mine are 17 months apart and DS started sleeping in his crib at 3 wks.

We kept DS in the bassinet for 4 months and he was over an inch too long for it.   My 13 month old is just about 36" tall.  He is huge! Can open doors!  Doesn't care to climb out of the crib though.  

I guess another crib would save space (it's a small room) when they go to share.  Ugh! Too many decisions! 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby #2 on its way - EDD June 4th!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • drcolleendrcolleen
    Long-Lasting Membership 1000 Comments 25 Love Its Photogenic
    edited October 2013
    DD1 was in a regular twin bed w/ side rail and steps up to bed at 18mo and I was not preg at the time it was a step she was ready for, she didn't get out of bed on her own in the morning and would call to us for the next few months.  DD2 had her crib converted to toddler bed around that time too though I was already preg w/ #3 and just recently was able to open her bedroom door (yet she has been opening the outside doors and pantry for a month or two, ugh) so would come out in the morning when she got up.  For us it was a step of  independence we transitioned to when they were ready and they did fine "racing" me to bed at night as a game.  FWIW I feel like we are very laid back parents and encourage perhaps more independence than most, my niece at least, when I compare (which one shouldn't).
    5/08- blighted ovum, spont ab; 2/20/09- epi, VAVD, Girl! breastfed 24mo; 10/10- blighted ovum, spon ab; 12/10- no fetal pole, Cytotec; 11/20/11- unmedicated SVD, Girl! breastfed 18mo; 11/7/13- unmedicated SVD, breastfed 18mo; 2/11/16- unmedicated SVD, exclusively pumping to at least a year.

• We moved my son into a toddler bed when he was 17 months old. He has always slept wonderful in it. Just make sure the room is safe if they get out.. We put a gate at his bedroom door and screwed his dresser to the wall so if he opens it, it won't fall over on him. He always falls right asleep at night with zero problems but 1-2 times a week he will get out of his bed during nap time and wine at the gate but 5 minutes later he crawls back into bed and covers up and goes back to sleep.. He's 20 months now..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards