School-Aged Children
Options

Headaches

My 5yr old DD complains frequently of headaches. Even her teacher has mentioned that she complains almost daily of headaches. The headaches don't interrupt her activity at the time. Like she will complain of a headache and then a friend could stop by and she will run and play. Has anyone else's child gone through this? She has been complaining for a few months now.

TIA!

Re: Headaches

• Options

I should have mentioned that. We see an eye doctor on a regular basis. She used to have a very random lazy eye. We corrected that with patching 2.5 years ago. Her vision is excellent. My DH thinks the "headaches" are an attention thing. I don't know why a 5yr old would want to complain of headaches. But maybe I will run it past past her eye doc again. Thanks!

• Options
    DD will occasionally complain of headaches.  I tell her that if she doesn't drink enough water during the day, that a headache can be her body's way of telling her she needs more water.  She drinks a big glass of water and then no longer complains.  Maybe your DD isn't getting enough to drink?
    DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS1 will complain of a headache on average of once per week (some weeks he may not complain at all, others he may complain 2-3 days).  So far he's had a migraine bad enough that's he's actually vomited from the pain.  Other than that bad migraine I'm not sure how often he actually has a headache, I get frequent headaches so he may just be repeating me.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options

DS was getting headaches and even vomiting a couple times from them.  After a MRI and a vision check, he needed reading glasses. 

He still complains about headaches sometimes and even vomited from one recently.  Dr said he has migraines and we are charting his headaches looking for possible migraine triggers.  He gets headaches more easily when he's dehydrated, tired, or hungry.  I remind him to drink water at school and keep ibprofen at school that the RN can give if needed.

Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Options

Did your DD just start kinder this year? That could be part of it - that is a long, hard day for little ones.  DS has been to vision therapy on and off for about 2.5 years and even though he has 20/20 vision, he also has an occassional eye turn. I think that could be a contributor as well.  Hope you find some answers soon :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    DS is in kindergarten and just started telling me about headaches. I have him drink some water and they go away. Ask the teacher to offer her water.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would start with a good vision test and if vision is good, talk to the ped.  My DD once had a really bad sinus infection that was totally missed and only found when her neurologist did a CT Scan.  It was a really deep one.  She wouldn't complain all the time but at night, she felt pretty bad when she was in bed.  A few days on meds and she was totally fine and has rarely complained of a headache since.  We had started with the vision test as she had not been sick at all.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"