March 2012 Moms
Options

HELP! First broken bones :( UPDATE w/PIP

edited October 2013 in March 2012 Moms

DH broke my baby's leg. :(
He was holding DS and coming down the stairs, lost his footing and fell on his butt. He didn't drop DS, but somehow the way he fell caused DS to have two "buckle" fractures, one each in his tibia and fibula just above the ankle. The dr said when they're this little their bones are still kind of soft and sometimes don't truly break, but bend and buckle instead. He got a splint and we'll see an orthopedist when we get home later this week (we were visiting family) who might put a cast on. We're supposed to ice it (which he hates) and keep weight off of it. Which brings me to my request for help: I need ideas on how to keep a boy whose favorite thing to do is run off his feet. I'm thinking he'll spend some time in my Beco carrier (not sure how long I can carry him around anymore), some time in the stroller, lots of time in my arms, and some time in front of the tv. He's going to get bored and I need some good distracting activities! Also how am I going to let him burn off any energy like this?? It might take 4 weeks to heal, maybe less. I'm not sure we can send him to daycare while its still swollen because he's going to want to run around with the other kids, but maybe next week? Ugh, I don't know what to do. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Update 10/10: got his cast and a liittle sandal this morning. Doc said he can walk on it but we shouldn't encourage it. He's been getting antsy not being able to move around like he normally does so I'm hoping this helps. He'll have it on for 5 weeks. :(

Re: HELP! First broken bones :( UPDATE w/PIP

• Options
    Those are good ideas, thank you! That gave me another idea too - shopping trips. DS loves riding in the shopping cart. :)
    Luckily DS is in an ok mood so far (once I got him calmed down from the initial scare and hurt). I think the compression of the splint helps it not to hurt as much. And I was able to ice it when he fell asleep in the car.
  • Options
    Poor wee thing...

Excited prompted me to buy connect 4 when I saw a picture of Grace playing with it when she was poorly..  that is something you can play together while he is in his highcair and you can double it up for some educational and fine aim skills.. colors and counting and aim and sharing and taking turns..

perhaps some finger painting and maybe some wooden alphabet blocks to learn letters and stacking and such all can be done sitting in a high chair or at a table?

my lil guy would be impossible to keep still unless we sat him in front of a looping Jane and the dragon and Zula patrol marathon ... you have my sympathy.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am so sorry to hear this! That must have been really scary for all of you. Do you have an iPad? That keeps DD still for awhile.
  • Options
    Oh I'm so sorry. DD1 broke her leg when she was 18months and it was horrible. She didn't walk on it because it hurt. Once she got her cast (about 48hrs) later it was ok to walk on it with the little boot over it. Do you think you might get a 2nd opinion wherever you are? Seems to me if it needs a cast the sooner the better. It was a horrific experience but we got through it. I found her cast recently while sorting through clothes for DD2 and was surprised how teeny it was. All the hand-me-downs remind me of squeezing her cast into the pants. Hang in there.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks for the ideas and the sympathy. The nurse did say they might be able to put a boot on it, I will definitely ask for that.
    DH feels horrible, and I just feel bad for my baby. :(
  • Options
    Thanks @Excited30. That's another bummer - no baths with the splint (or cast, I assume). He loves the bath. :( And I can't imagine sponge baths getting him clean enough.
    We got home tonight and he went down ok. I iced his leg for about an hour after he fell asleep. Ibuprofen seems to be helping. We'll see how the night goes.
  • Options
    oh no i'm so sorry!! poor ds!  and dh!  i love the shopping idea...fun for lo and mommy!  
  • Options
    Oh no, your husband must feel terrible. DS loves to color with the Crayola Color wonder markers & coloring books. They are non-toxic & only color on the special paper :) Hope it heels quickly!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I am so sorry! That is horrible. I hope the orthopedic has good news. I am definitely going to second puzzles, painting, and coloring. Maybe even carve a pumpkin, it tis the season? Let him clean out the seeds and yucky inards.
  • Options
    OMG !! I dont have any ideas but just wanted to send hugs and prayers for a speedy recovery!!! >:D<
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    @kmhunt11 How did you wash your DD's hair when she had the cast on? We gave DS a spongebath last night but weren't really sure how to wash his hair without getting water everywhere.
  • Options
    Poor little buddy, but he looks pretty adorable with that bright green cast :)
  • Options
    oh my goodness! hoping that you, your DH and DS can have lots of patience while DS heals!

re: walking/moving around: can you encourage him to go back to crawling? cover the knee bit of the cast with an old sock or bandanna so it doesn't get too worn...
    With the splint he needed no encouragement, went right back to crawling and scooting around on his bum! He is determined to move. The few times he did stand up he wouldn't put weight on his hurt foot. I'm not sure what will happen with the cast (DH is home with him today). That's a good idea to encourage him to continue crawling rather than walking. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • Options
    Poor little guy. I'm so sorry that happened. Is he a reader? Books can keep my son busy for hours. My boss was telling me her husband tripped over one of their daughters when she was about this age and broke her leg, too. It definitely happens.

• Options
    eyenigh said:
    Poor little guy. I'm so sorry that happened. Is he a reader? Books can keep my son busy for hours. My boss was telling me her husband tripped over one of their daughters when she was about this age and broke her leg, too. It definitely happens.
    Thank you. He does like to read. Maybe we'll go to the library tomorrow, they have a little play area too that he might like. Thanks for the suggestion!
    It's funny how I'm accumulating all these terrible stories to share with DH to try to make him feel better! Today my sister reminded me about how her first DD burned her little baby hand on her flat iron, and shortly thereafter was burned by humidifier steam. Our poor kids!
  • Options
    Just a suggestion for washing his hair. When my sister was little she broke her leg. My mom took a plastic bag from like a grocery store and stuck it around her cast just in case water would splatter, which it would. Then loosely tie it. with the quality of sacks I would definitely double them.
  • Options
    We sponge bathed her. It sucked but we got it done as quickly as possible and only once or twice a week. A month and a half of being a little stinky won't do any harm. I'm so sorry he's stuck in a cast! They seem so durable at this age, and then a random accident happens. Hope he's doing ok.
  • Options
    I was just thinking more about if and remembered that the day she got her cast she also developed a weird form of hypoglycemia that she has just now grown out of at 5 1/2. When she would go too long without food (ie fall asleep for the night with no dinner) she'd puke every 15 min until we got her to an ER and get some zofran in her. No doc ever figured it out- my MIL told me this past spring what it was (ketotic hypoglycemia). So for 4 damn years it never occurred to her to tell me that she knew what it was and my DH had the same thing as a kid! Silly woman. Anyway the cast reminded me that the day we came home with the cast she puked on it and we lived with puke cast for 6 weeks. Ick
  • Options

kmhunt11 said:
    I was just thinking more about if and remembered that the day she got her cast she also developed a weird form of hypoglycemia that she has just now grown out of at 5 1/2. When she would go too long without food (ie fall asleep for the night with no dinner) she'd puke every 15 min until we got her to an ER and get some zofran in her. No doc ever figured it out- my MIL told me this past spring what it was (ketotic hypoglycemia). So for 4 damn years it never occurred to her to tell me that she knew what it was and my DH had the same thing as a kid! Silly woman. Anyway the cast reminded me that the day we came home with the cast she puked on it and we lived with puke cast for 6 weeks. Ick
    Oh my gosh! Yuck. Well if you can get through all that, I suppose we can get through this. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"