Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

What To Pack

Hi Guys,

I just got done packing my bag for the hospital and my husband is going to pack his, but besides the basics that all the sites say to pack (comfortable shoes, layers, change for vending machines, etc.) are there any other suggestions for him to bring that you might not be an obvious choice but helpful?  Thanks!

Re: What To Pack

• Options
    Food for him. Most hospitals don't consider dads or other family patients, so they don't feed them.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Options
    I'm in the same boat, the little guy's expected date is the end of this month but realistically he could show up any day now. We went ahead and got my wife's bag and a bag for a son packed this weekend. I still have to get mine packed but that shouldn't take long. What was said above is spot on.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Things to pack for dad:

- Figure 3 changes of clothes for the days and 1 set of PJs/sleep pants T shirt/whatever he sleeps in for night.

- Some good warm socks, if they are the grip kind that is good too because if he's going to be doing late night runs to the ice machine, he's not going to want to put his shoes on every time.

- Camera and charger

- Phone charger

- Food.  He can go down to the cafeteria, but that can get pricey and vending machines in the hospital can get pricey quick.  If he has no plans to leave the hospital, bring at least something for him to snack on.  If you have family or friends near by, they can bring meals for him (or you once cleared to eat food) from the outside.  If you don't plan on doing this, you definitely need cash, including a fair amount of change in case the bill changer doesn't work.

- Pillow and maybe a blanket.
  • Options
    Don't pack an ipod since you dudes fucking hate music.
    But what will mom listen to her relaxation music on?
  • Options
    I didn't pack a lot since I was going to have to go back to work the day after my son was born.  I did pack a large bag of mountain mix but didn't eat much since we were induced at 10pm, got to the hospital at 8pm.  I did go down and eat breakfast at the cafe.  Our son was born 5 minutes to 1 in the afternoon.  I did pack all of the chargers that were needed for electronics.  MW wasn't on much electronics until she went to the room for those that have given birth.  We also took some pictures at the hospital but neither one of us got too carried away.

If your hospital rooms are like the one we had, they have a couch/bed for the husband that is not all that comfortable to sleep on (at least in the birthing room).

One of the nice things about our hospital is that my MIL and I got to help in the birth.  She held one leg and I had the other so I got to see everything.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    polooo26 said:
    Don't pack an ipod since you dudes fucking hate music.
    But what will mom listen to her relaxation music on?
    Relaxation music? This is another term for epidural? I don't comprende.
    HA, This whole time I thought LuckyDad was talking about his own mom.
    LOL thankfully my mom was far, far away during delivery. And asleep by the time my son joined the world.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"