January 2014 Moms
Options

Hanging things above the crib

I was googling for some inspiration for things to possibly do above the crib. But I found a lot of things that said its a bad idea. Things could fall off the wall and into the crib/onto the baby...which makes sense and makes me not want to out anything above the crib. For whatever reason I didn't even think of this being an issue before. So are you going to hang anything (frames, pics, letters, etc.) above the crib? My gut now says it not worth the risk and worry about something happening, but I'm wondering why almost every nursery photo I see has something above the crib. Thoughts? What are your plans?

Missing Our July Sparkler
BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13
BFP#2-4/23/13 EDD-01/02/14 baby BOY born 12/31/13 Michael Cameron <3

Re: Hanging things above the crib

• Options
    We have nothing above the crib for that reason. Plus once they start standing you have to make sure they cant reach whatever it is There are plenty of other spots in the nursery fto decorate. Or you could get some cute wall decals for there.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm putting her name in light weight letters above the crib. Just making sure they are securely hung.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am going to hang letters spelling out her name or 2 canvas prints that I bought.  Either way, the items would be really light if they were to fall.  I didn't want to do anything heavy like shelves with picture frames on them for this reason.
  • Options
    We have 4 small framed pictures over DD's crib. They have never fallen.
  • Options
    Does this count for mobiles too?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    casholmes said:
    Does this count for mobiles too?

Hmm, good question. I think the frames, canvas, wooded letters etc are a lot heavier than any mobiles which would cause injury. But I don't know for sure....

BFP#1-11/12/12, MMC 1/16/13-baby stopped growing @ 9wks, found out at 13wks, D&E 1/25/13

• Options
    BKau said:
    I think if your gut says no, you have your answer.  There is going to be an 'it's not safe' opinion for pretty much anything and everything that has to do with how you care for your child, and the only way to follow every single 'it's not safe' statement, is to raise your child in a bubble.  Personally I feel like this is one of those things where you have to make the choice that's right for you.  If it's going to worry you and cause you stress, then like you said, it's probably not worth it.  If you find a way to secure something safely and strong enough that makes you feel ok about it, it's probably fine.

Very good point! It's possible that I'd try something and see how it goes before LO gets here and even when LO is here since he/she won't be sleeping in the crib for a while anyway!

• Options
    I'm sure it's worthwhile to make sure everything is hung securely, and maybe a 30lb glass mirror isn't the best choice for over the crib. I'm planning to put some flag bunting in that spot.

How often does stuff fall off the wall in your house?

DS1 12/30/13
    Miscarriage 3/15 at 10 weeks
    BFP 7/23/15 EDD 4/3/16

• Options
    AnnikaD20 said:
    I'm sure it's worthwhile to make sure everything is hung securely, and maybe a 30lb glass mirror isn't the best choice for over the crib. I'm planning to put some flag bunting in that spot.

Never... good point! I guess I'm overthinking this a bit :)

• Options
    The thing with mobiles is that if they fall they have a lot of strings that can cause strangulation! For all the paranoid mothers out there. I plan to use a mobile until baby is old enough to stand and reach for it. I am also planning on painting a mini mural on the wall above the crib, so no hanging things.
  • Options
    We have a few animal wall hangings above the crib that are light weight. The crib is out a few inches from the wall so God forbid they ever fell, they would most likely fall onto the floor. We also didn't but dd in her crib till she was 5-6 months and at that point she was able to sit up and roll. Do what makes you feel comfortable :-)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We were having doubts on this as well, so we decided to make the wall itself more decorative. We painted horizontal light and mid grey stripes, with one aqua stripe for an accent. I think it looks great, and it certainly does not need anything hanging on it. So, that could be an option too.

CafeMom Tickers
                                     image image
  • Options
    My cousin painted 3 pictures on canvas that matched DS's nursery and they hung over the crib. They never fell off and were high enough that once he started standing he couldn't reach them.  I think as long as your smart about your choice of what your putting over the crib, it should be fine.
    January2014 Blog ** Admin to the January 2014 FB group!
  • Options
    Absolutely nothing above the crib.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

imageimage

• Options
    I'm doing a gallery of a few frames with his name and the letter T and other name related items. PIP. Will be securely hung. I'm not concerned.
  • Options
    I would worry so I just leave the walls above the crib blank.
  • Options
    Honestly, I've never had anything hung on a wall fall off. I'll have a framed 8x10 of daddy above LO's crib, and maybe some light canvases or other art. I will keep the crib a couple inches off the wall so that if something were to fall it wouldn't fall into the crib/onto baby.

imageimage

• Options
    We will put the letters of her name above the crib. I'm not worried about them falling off and they are not really heavy.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial ticker
    Due with baby boy # 2 in May 2016
    DD #1 born January 2014

• Options
    AnnikaD20 said:

This was my thought exactly!  Never in my life has anything spontaneously fallen off the wall, so I'm not worried about.  That being said, we're side-caring the crib next to our bed, so probably won't have anything above it anyway.  But i'm hanging art above the changing table. 
  • Options
    As long as you're hanging items securely (and you're not hanging anvils) I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    We did a mobile and took it down when she started moving around more. We had something framed on the wall above her bed every day until today when we moved it to her new bedroom.

• Options
    Earthquakes are the norm where I live. It is only a recent thing, so we have all become experts at hanging things up! I am going to make something like this, and will get FI to screw it into the wall/ceiling into a stud, so it will never fall off.
  • Options
    We decided against hanging anything above the crib (except a mobile attached to the crib), it wasn't worth the risk of it falling. There was plenty of space in the nursery to decorate. Instead of a blank wall, we chose a beautiful decal from www.adzif.ca

--------------
    "Practice any art, music, singing, dancing, acting, drawing, painting, sculpting, poetry, fiction, essays, reportage, no matter how well or badly, not to get money and fame, but to experience becoming, to find out what's inside you, to make your soul grow." --Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    both of my girls had their names above their cribs & they never fell but they were hung very securely! I will be doing the same for baby boy :)

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickersimage

Natural M/C at 7 weeks 9.17.08 Natural M/C at 7 weeks 2.1.13

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"