September 2011 Moms

Pacifiers

I'm taking a break from FB for a little while and I'm hoping someone still checks here periodically that can help.  I planned on taking B's paci away at 2, but that hasn't happened yet.  He's obsessed with it.  I've tried cutting back to night time only, but it seems when he's with DH or I he is constantly asking for it.  He doesn't get it at DC and I know he goes down for a nap without it.  If you broke this habit, how did you do it?  I know there's no magic to help it just disappear, just looking for suggestions! :)  TYIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pacifiers

• I will give that a try!
  • I'd been thinking about asking this question on FB. We're in the same position. Our pediatrician said we need to stop ASAP to avoid tooth alignment problems, but we keep putting it off. She also said we should go cold turkey-- no cutting off the tips, no slowly working down. She says we should just declare one day that they're gone and throw them all away (she said if we just put them away, we'll be too tempted to give in). The prospect seems so horrifying that we keep procrastinating. Right now she just occasionally gets it in the car, and then at night and for naps. I'd rather gradually cut down-- get rid of the car pacis, then naptime, then bed. Poor girl loves her paci! 
    PS-- I've still been checking here every now and then out of habit. I kind of miss it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • B loves his paci. We've cut out car rides for the most part. He doesn't get it for nap time at dc, but at home he knows we will give it to him! Good luck to you too!
  • We talked to Tatum about it for a while before we took it away completely, and she got over it herself.  For us, it was all about how pacifiers are for babies and she's a big girl, and didn't need it.  No cutting slits or sabotaging and no hiding or anything like that.  In fact, there was still one sitting on her dresser during the whole transition, and I think that helped because it sometimes started the conversation with her about it.  Ocassionally, she would whine a little for it and we would remind her that shes a big girl now, and binkies are for babies, and she'd be okay.  This was when she was about 1 and a half.  I think there is a benefit to doing it when they are big enough to make the decision themselves.  It took under 2 weeks.

Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We just took them away. Hid them and he never really asked for it after he couldn't see it anymore. After daycare told me he never used it there I knew he was just smart enough to know he could work his dad and I.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"