Health & Exercise
Options

Update with second opinion- First tri runners?

edited October 2013 in Health & Exercise
Hi ladies,

I just had my first appointment and the doctor told me not to because it could "jolt" the baby.  He did not ask anything about my fitness history during the appointment.  Long story short, I have called him twice since the appointment and he still hasn't called me back and I have requested a new OB.

Did anyone who is an avid runner get told to stop running during their pregnancy?  If so, what were the reasons? 

UPDATE
I went back to the OB today and asked to see a different doctor.  He gave me the all clear!
ETA- second opinion

Re: Update with second opinion- First tri runners?

• Options
    my doc told me since I was already a runner it was okay for me to run- but I stopped anyway. Just found less strenuous and lower impact workouts.

Are you at a gym or run outside? I switched to stationary spin bike or eliptical
  • Options
    I do a mix of both- usually 2 treadmill workouts and 1-2 outside runs on the weekends.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It was hard for me to quit- I was at the peak of my running- been doing really well- 6 min mile. Then I had to stop. I just didn't want to jolt the baby around- so I switched it up.

I also would power walk (sounds old lady like- but was effective and fun)
  • Options
    Honestly, I use an OBs opinions on running during pregnancy as part of my decision about whether to use them or not. I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing an OB who told a runner that they couldn't run during pregnancy without a particular contraindication. Research has consistently shown that in a healthy, normal pregnancy, not only is running safe for both mom and baby, but it also has many benefits. That makes me feel that a doctor that recommends against it with no valid reason isn't practicing evidence based medicine, something I expect from my healthcare providers.

I've been able to find great providers who have supported me in running (smartly) through both of my pregnancies. I hope you'll have the same kind of luck with your new OB.
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    " I wouldn't feel comfortable seeing an OB who told a runner that they couldn't run during pregnancy without a particular contraindication. Research has consistently shown that in a healthy, normal pregnancy, not only is running safe for both mom and baby, but it also has many benefits. That makes me feel that a doctor that recommends against it with no valid reason isn't practicing evidence based medicine, something I expect from my healthcare providers."

THIS

I am 39 weeks and enjoyed two 3 mile runs this past week (much slower than my old pace, though!) (I also still bike and swim)...raced a 5k at 7 months (I know plenty who have done longer distances, but it didn't interest me)...did a mini-sprint triathlon at 6 months...in other words, I've been active the whole pregnancy and my baby appears healthy (at least in utero she has been!) and I've had no pregnancy complications. Unless you weren't exercising before or have some risk factors in your pregnancy, I would think continuing to exercise would be healthy and enjoyable for you (and baby!).

Good luck!
  • Options
    I just recently got my BFP for #2, and have been training for a half marathon for the past few months. I haven't seen my doc yet, but I plan on running my half this weekend. I have read a lot about running while pregnant and just plan to stay hydrated and listen to my body. I ran a race last weekend too.
    I'll bring running up to my doc when I see him, but in the mean time I'm carrying on. Studies show running is beneficial for mom and baby. Just be smart about it!
    <BabyFruit Ticker>

<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options
    I am 35 weeks and just got back from a 6 mile run this morning. Like others have said, my pace is much slower than it was before I was pregnant, but I still enjoy getting outside and the work outs definitely help with my energy level. I also was able to run a half marathon at the beginning of my second tri. Every doctor in my practice has encouraged me to keep running and working out as long as it is not uncomfortable because it is good for me and baby. Not sure why your doctor would tell a runner to quit if there are no complications with your pregnancy. Hope you get better advice from a new doc. Good luck!
  • Options
    There is no reason to stop in the first trimester unless you are feeling too sick to run. I ran 2.5-3.5 miles a few times a week until I hit 29 weeks. My runs still felt great, but I was having intense pubic bone pain for 24-48 hours after I ran. I just decided to listen to my body and switch to incline walking on the treadmill along with my crossfit workouts. I still run short distances (400-800m repeats) in crossfit but slowly
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"