Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

TTC & The Dentist

I went to a new dentist today (I just moved to the area) and when I went into the room the assistant was reviewing my history and mentioned she noticed I wasn't using any contraception and asked if I could be pregnant. I told her we were actively trying and I did not know yet whether I was pregnant or not. She called the dentist in who told me that they could not perform x-rays or a cleaning. She mentioned they needed recent x-rays in order to do a proper cleaning and they also do not like to perform any treatments on pregnant women without a release from the OB/GYN. 

I was kind of bummed out. I actually love going to the dentist! My question is...would you have mentioned this to your dentist or doctor if you were in the TWW? I am actually certified to take x-rays (I went to school for dental assisting) and we were taught its safe for pregnant women. 

image    image    

Re: TTC & The Dentist

• Options
    WUT
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton
    BFP #1 Dec 2010 ~ Blighted Ovum Jan 2011 @ 11wks D&C Jan '11 & Mar '11
    BFP #2 July 2011 ~ Miss Amelia born 3/30/12 @ 41 weeks!
    BFP #3 July 2013 ~ M/C Aug 2013 @ 5.5 weeks
    BFP #4 Oct 2013 ~ Miss Lydia born 6/3/14 @ 36 weeks!

• Options
    Unless I had a positive pregnancy test prior to the appointment, I wouldn't have said anything because that means I'm not pregnant.
    <3 *Evan Michael* <3
    {06/15/2010 ~ 9lbs. 4oz, 22.5in.}
    <3 *Twin Angel Babies* <3
    {Said Goodbye on 08/13/2011 at 17w3d}
    No longer TTC
    *~Kisses to My Bestie Boo, ScrappyLika~*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I can't believe they wouldn't do a cleaning without an xray...but then I haven't been to the dentist in almost 4 years X_X
    imageimageimage

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers">AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers 
    Formerly dlsexton

• Options
    Find a new dentist. Check out this page from the ADA for their opinion on x-rays during pregnancy.
    Also, there was probably no need to mention that you were ttc. It only confuses the ignorant. Good luck!

TTC #1 since Oct. 2012 | BFP Feb. 21, 2014!
    imageimage
  • Options
    I am a dental assistant and I find it strange they would not perform a cleaning without x-rays. X-rays are a diagnostic tool so the dentist can find decay, should not have changed your cleaning apt. Also, I personally would not have x-rays done while pregnant, now a days most offices are digital which means lower exposure to radiation, but it's still there.

ME: 29 DH:29
    TTC #1 since September 2013
    BFP Aug 27 2014, EDD- May 9 2015 - MMC Oct 16 2014

• Options
    I can't believe they wouldn't do a cleaning without xrays. I've refused xrays the last several times I've been in and I've still gotten cleanings. They are sure to tell me they might be missing a problem without them but they don't withhold care.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Options
    I broke my foot 2 weeks ago and had to get X-rays (posted about it if you're really curious). I was in the 2 week window, so when I mentioned it they just put something over me "just in case." I don't understand why a place that does X-rays wouldn't offer this. Also, when I was pregnant I went to the dentist and they didn't have any problem doing a cleaning, they just made sure I understood about taking care of my gums while pregnant (who knew you needed to pay more attention to that?)
  • Options

Jesus Fucking Christ.

YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT. You had no reason to tell them maybe because YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT.

Wow. Got your panties in a bunch, eh? Ok, cool.

OP-That's totally lame about the cleaning. I can see the x-rays, but cleanings are especially important when you're pregnant. Weird.
    **siggy warning**  **everyone welcome**

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    DS- 11.07.02
    DSS- 6.26.04
    Married- 6.29.13
    TTC Again- Sept. 2013
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test Results/Diagnosis- HSG & SA totally normal
    DX: 3/2014 Prolactinoma/Hyperprolactinemia- Started cabergoline 2/2014
    5/2014 Possible mild PCOS in addition to hyperprolactinemia??
    7/2014 Adding probable tubal factor to the diagnosis list
    9/2014 And now adding hypothyroid to the list- Started synthroid 9/2014
    Cycles 1-4 - Sept.-March- All Anovulatory 
    IUI #1 March/April-  Clomid 50mg + Clomid 100mg +Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN
     IUI #2 April/May-Clomid 100mg + Clomid 150mg + Trigger + IUI #2 + Endometrin=BFN
    IUI #3- June- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3  Benched due to a 40 mm cyst. :-(
    IUI #3- July- Follistim 75iu + Trigger + IUI #3 + Endometrin = BFP! on 7/25/14
    Slowly rising betas - Ectopic suspected on 8/8/14 & confirmed on 8/11/14
    Methotrexate on 8/12/14 -HCG negative on 9/2/14
    IVF #1- November- Antagonist protocol: 11/1: start stims, 200iu of Follistim; 11/12 ER 17R/14M/14F; 11/17 5 day transfer of two blasts, 2 blasts and 2 expanding morulas frozen; 11/22 BFP!! (On FRER at 5dp5dt)
    Betas: 9dp5dt 205, 11dp5dt 497, 14dp5dt 1,709
    u/s at 5w0d- 1 sac; u/s at 6w0d 1 baby with heartbeat, another sac without a heartbeat

• Options
    stefaniew26stefaniew26 member
    edited October 2013

I can't believe they wouldn't do a cleaning without xrays. I've refused xrays the last several times I've been in and I've still gotten cleanings. They are sure to tell me they might be missing a problem without them but they don't withhold care.

She went to a NEW dentist. This means they need new, updated records to establish her as a patient. I'm a dental hygienist and my office also refuses to do a cleaning without base line X-rays and a comprehensive exam. Believe it or not, it's a liability.

You can decline X-rays when you are already an established patient of the practice. Not a new patient.

Every state is different on protocol but I agree with the dentist on this one about needing X-rays. And X-ray's check for more than just cavities.

Was it silly to mention the 2ww? Yes! And they Should have still taken X-rays and done a cleaning

OP- you could have just asked for the lead shield for extra protection.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Well now I have been edumacated
    imageimageimage

Formerly dlsexton

• Options
    @ghostmokey  if you could READ you would see that she asked me if there was a possibility I could be pregnant based on the questionnaire I had to fill out. The questionnaire stated "are you using contraception" obviously I am not if I am TTC. 

image    image    

• Options
    @curlylocks3  I was surprised as well, and I did not refuse to do the x-ray. She just asked me if it was possible and all I said was yes, but it is way too early to tell and they said I couldn't be seen. If it was my option I would have said do the x-rays (or just said no its not possible to be KU) but I had no idea they would tell me no.

image    image    

• Options
    @stefaniew26  You are exactly right about needed new x-rays since this was my first visit. I actually offered to bring in some recent x-rays but they said no. I also think it was odd which was why I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I have never heard of someone not being allowed a cleaning. I wish they would have allowed me the option.

image    image    

• Options
    @stefaniew26  You are exactly right about needed new x-rays since this was my first visit. I actually offered to bring in some recent x-rays but they said no. I also think it was odd which was why I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. I have never heard of someone not being allowed a cleaning. I wish they would have allowed me the option.
    Yeah, I think it's a little weird that they turned you away as well. I guess every dentist/office makes it own protocols to follow though.
  • Options
    hecklet said:
    Yeah, I think it's a little weird that they turned you away as well. I guess every dentist/office makes it own protocols to follow though.
    Yes, she told me I was a liability. I thought it was kind of silly. I don't want to go to a different office though because they were super nice and I have heard great things about this practice. 

image    image    

• Options
    After I wrote that, I was going to go back and add what else bw's/x-rays can show us, you covered it though. I always hear patients decline x-rays because they "just had them done" or they don't see anything wrong or feel it so they don't need them. I shake my head.

ME: 29 DH:29
    TTC #1 since September 2013
    BFP Aug 27 2014, EDD- May 9 2015 - MMC Oct 16 2014

• Options
    jmknoxjmknox member
    edited October 2013
    hecklet said:
    I am a dental assistant and I find it strange they would not perform a cleaning without x-rays. X-rays are a diagnostic tool so the dentist can find decay, should not have changed your cleaning apt. Also, I personally would not have x-rays done while pregnant, now a days most offices are digital which means lower exposure to radiation, but it's still there.
    I'm a dental hygienist and honestly am a little bit disappointed that you aren't aware or didn't mention how important xrays are to not only assess decay but bone and attachment levels to diagnose gum disease....
    I can. It's a bit absurd to me how often people decline xrays. I can see maybe wanting to do them every 2 years instead of 1 if you have no history of recent cavities or gum disease, but dental exams without xrays are pretty worthless. There is no way to see in between the teeth- the most likely spot for cavities to form. It's basically like going to your OBGYN for a cervical cancer screening but saying "Hey can you just do a visual check for me? Forget that pap smear".....

Jesus Fucking Christ.

YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT. You had no reason to tell them maybe because YOU ARE NOT PREGNANT.

Wow. Got your panties in a bunch, eh? Ok, cool. OP-That's totally lame about the cleaning. I can see the x-rays, but cleanings are especially important when you're pregnant. Weird.
    It's definitely important to maintain oral hygiene and regular cleanings during your pregnancy. Your hormones are all over the place making it very easy for inflammation and gingivitis. It's also important to note that cleanings during the 1st trimester are most risky, it's recommended to wait until 2nd or 3rd if possible. Also, I don't think in OPs situation it was necessary to mention her 2WW or for the dentist to not take xrays. I have plenty of patients who inform me they are trying, but unless they are without a doubt pregnant, I take the xrays. With digital xrays radiation is reduced by 75-90 percent from tradtional xrays, so BW xrays (on the molar teeth only) are equivalent to being outside in the sun for a day. I also ALWAYS put the lead vest with thyroid collar on my patients even though it isn't even required anymore.

So there's my 2 cents whether you wanted it or not! haha

*this* I know I'm late coming into this convo, but as a Dentist I can agree with @hecklet. People act like x-rays are the devil. In pregnancy with a double shield it is very safe. My pregnant patients have a right to refuse them ( even though it is not necessary but the old dogmas seem to hang around). I would have just asked them to get their most recent X-rays for the last dentist for our file so I could better know their mouth. Failure to diagnose is a big deal too. Otherwise it's fine especially if the patient consents to having the X-rays/treatment done. @hecklet you covered everything nicely :)
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    bluebird1109bluebird1109 member
    edited October 2013

FWIW, I don't think it was at all silly to answer the questions your healthcare professional asked you honestly. I think its dreadful advice to encourage people to lie to or mislead doctors or dentists. Of course you wouldn't say you're pregnant, but it was right IMO to say that you're trying and there is a chance you could be. In this case it does sound like they have been over cautious, but it would be crazy to take internet message board advice over real life medical advice. If you really want to, you could always get a second opinion from another clinic. ETA: I know there are some genuinely terrible doctors etc who give some incorrect advice, so I think there is certainly value in comparing notes and asking for opinions online. But I wouldn't directly discard medical advice without other actual medical advice from a professional.
    I agree, I would never take medical advice from any individual other than a doctor whether on the internet or not. It is possible they may have had some issues in the past at this office. When I was previously pregnant I was never asked for a release from my OB/GYN to get dental work done, and I have never been asked if it was "possible" if I could be pregnant just a simple yes or no. 

EDIT: clarify.

image    image    

• Options
    I've been managing dental offices for years. Every dr is different, but it is very common for then to want permission from your OB, but only if you're actually pregnant. For your own piece if mind, (if you don't get a bfp this cycle) maybe get your check up and cleaning during your next period. That way there's no need to worry. But when you do get a bfp, definitely get clearance from your OB for a cleaning, X-rays, filling etc.
  • Options
    I clicked on this thread because I literally just went to the dentist yesterday for my routine cleaning. Obviously I'm in a little bit of a different boat than OP is because I'm on CD 64, haven't ovulated, and am taking Provera to jumpstart a period, but I did feel the desire to tell them that I was trying to conceive simply because they are dealing with my medical records (I didn't tell them that I could or couldn't be pregnant, just simply that I'm TTC). They still did x-rays, and a regular cleaning, and gave me info about how important it is to keep your teeth extra clean during pregnancy because you can pass bacteria along to baby. They also told me that if you get sick (vomit), to not brush your teeth right after because the acid from your stomach combined with toothpaste can wear down the enamel on your teeth. 

Also, @GhostMonkey - chill, bro. It's not OPs fault for not getting her x-rays and cleaning done. If someone asks the question on a medical form, you answer it truthfully. If anything, the dentist was overly-cautious, but for good (read: liability) reasons. I understand both sides.
    ---

• Options
    They asked you if your were using contraception? Does that not strike anyone else as odd, number one. Number two, it doesn't make any sense for them to refuse to clean your teeth. Talk about weird... Anyway, I am about to go through this. I just moved and am searching for a dentist. Unless I know for sure I am pregnant, I don't think I am going to bother telling them anything.

Married - 12/2011  TTC #1 - 8/2013 

BFP - 10/14/2013 EDD June 20, 2014

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @teresaide  I never knew that about throwing up and brushing your teeth right after. That's so interesting. It's usually your initial reaction to want to brush your teeth and just clean your mouth out. Good to know.

image    image    

• Options
    jckeown89 said:
    They asked you if your were using contraception? Does that not strike anyone else as odd, number one. Number two, it doesn't make any sense for them to refuse to clean your teeth. Talk about weird... Anyway, I am about to go through this. I just moved and am searching for a dentist. Unless I know for sure I am pregnant, I don't think I am going to bother telling them anything.
    Exactly! I have never seen this on dental form I thought it was weird as well but I just answered honestly. 

image    image    

• Options
    @teresaide  I never knew that about throwing up and brushing your teeth right after. That's so interesting. It's usually your initial reaction to want to brush your teeth and just clean your mouth out. Good to know.
    I know, weird huh? She said to try and wait like a half hour after getting sick, and to just pop a mint to freshen your breath.
    ---

• Options
    I'm surprised they turned you away for a cleaning. I went to school for dental assisting and currently work as a patient care coordinator in a dental office. We do prefer to take either a panoramic or a bitewing series for our new patients, but will not turn them away if they can't or are ineligible. My job is actually to call insurance on our new patients to find out when their last X-rays were taken - either to know that they are due or that they have recent X-rays at their previous office that we can access. The only reason we would decline a cleaning is when a patient would be better off going to a periodontist instead. The amount of radiation is so small (especially digital - exposure is about 80% less radiation than the old fashion kind). You are exposed to more radiation going on an airplane from MN to CO.
  • Options
    Ps - If a patient refuses x-rays every time - the dentist has every right to refuse treatment.
  • Options
    MaviFairyMaviFairy member
    edited October 2013
    Definitely sounds weird. I get my teeth cleaned regularly and have declined many an X-ray offer for monetary reasons. No one has ever asked me any TTC related questions. Maybe try a different dentist?

ETA: Pretty cool to hear from the dental hygienists on board...

*TTC #1 since June 2013*

Thats the Spot!
    THAT'S THE SPOT!

• Options
    jmknox said:
    hecklet said:
    I'm a dental hygienist and honestly am a little bit disappointed that you aren't aware or didn't mention how important xrays are to not only assess decay but bone and attachment levels to diagnose gum disease....
    I can. It's a bit absurd to me how often people decline xrays. I can see maybe wanting to do them every 2 years instead of 1 if you have no history of recent cavities or gum disease, but dental exams without xrays are pretty worthless. There is no way to see in between the teeth- the most likely spot for cavities to form. It's basically like going to your OBGYN for a cervical cancer screening but saying "Hey can you just do a visual check for me? Forget that pap smear".....

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Wow. Got your panties in a bunch, eh? Ok, cool. OP-That's totally lame about the cleaning. I can see the x-rays, but cleanings are especially important when you're pregnant. Weird.
    It's definitely important to maintain oral hygiene and regular cleanings during your pregnancy. Your hormones are all over the place making it very easy for inflammation and gingivitis. It's also important to note that cleanings during the 1st trimester are most risky, it's recommended to wait until 2nd or 3rd if possible. Also, I don't think in OPs situation it was necessary to mention her 2WW or for the dentist to not take xrays. I have plenty of patients who inform me they are trying, but unless they are without a doubt pregnant, I take the xrays. With digital xrays radiation is reduced by 75-90 percent from tradtional xrays, so BW xrays (on the molar teeth only) are equivalent to being outside in the sun for a day. I also ALWAYS put the lead vest with thyroid collar on my patients even though it isn't even required anymore.

So there's my 2 cents whether you wanted it or not! haha

*this* I know I'm late coming into this convo, but as a Dentist I can agree with @hecklet. People act like x-rays are the devil. In pregnancy with a double shield it is very safe. My pregnant patients have a right to refuse them ( even though it is not necessary but the old dogmas seem to hang around). I would have just asked them to get their most recent X-rays for the last dentist for our file so I could better know their mouth. Failure to diagnose is a big deal too. Otherwise it's fine especially if the patient consents to having the X-rays/treatment done. @hecklet you covered everything nicely :)
    @jmknox thanks! It's nice to have someone else to back me up. 2 dental related posts in 1 day. It's sort of nice to be able to give professional advice. :)
  • Options
    @hecklet - you are welcome. I know, I get all excited about it too lol
    BFP 5/22/12, MC 6/6/12 (cp) BFP 10/16/13, EDD June 28, 2014 - baby J arrived 6/19/14! ** #2-- BFP 12/5/15, EDD August 17, 2016 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker ***************************** Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"