Attachment Parenting

Any tips on co-sleeping and O/N nursing?

DD is 6.5 months old an she is tall and heavy (20lb 28 inches) we do most of our nursing in the side lie b/c it is the most comfortable for both of us though I do like to sit with pillows behind me and one under my arm if she isn't crying already and I can set it up before our BF session.
She nurses almost constantly throughout the night but I will wake up and unlatch her and get on my back if I can. I am a back sleeper and side sleeping is uncomfortable for me. I was sucking it up but yesterday I woke up with a completely stiff neck. We were camping and it was a road trip and I leaned over DDs car seat to nurse her in a pinch a few times on the drive so I know that the past week has been exceptionally hard on my upper back but I was already feeling it before this in our regular bed.
I don't want this to happen again. I have 3 inches of memory foam on our pallet bed (a full sized modular fold out couch that is basically sewn together couch pillows) on the floor. I sleep with a flat pillow under one hip sometimes but I have to keep moving the pillow back and away as I change positions in the night to get my good deep sleep on my back. Most of the time I am too tired and just end up getting most of my sleep on my side and waking up feeling like I need a nap.
So, what are your tricks for BF throughout the night and getting quality restful sleep that doesn't throw your back out?
I'm seriously considering more memory foam.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Any tips on co-sleeping and O/N nursing?

• I'm sorry, that sounds tough. I also sleep in the side lying position with dd latching on and off. Some days I wake up with a stiff neck, but for the most part I'm comfortable this way. Have you tried any of the No Cry Sleep Solution for getting her to unlatch and go back to sleep easily at night? I haven't, but I know others have had luck with that.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Chiropractor, yoga, massage and neck stretches :)  I'm a back sleeper too, and it's tough some times! 

I've found that a pillow behind me that I can lean back into a bit while still lying on my side to nurse helps. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry, that sounds tough. I also sleep in the side lying position with dd latching on and off. Some days I wake up with a stiff neck, but for the most part I'm comfortable this way. Have you tried any of the No Cry Sleep Solution for getting her to unlatch and go back to sleep easily at night? I haven't, but I know others have had luck with that.

I haven't done any sleep modification or anything. She even sleeps on our bed for naps since it so on the floor and we have a super tiny apt. I nurse her to sleep and when she wakes up. We finally got to where I can sneak away most days at nap time. I used to have to keep lying there!
    Some nights she barely nurses an will roll away and cuddle up to her dad or spread out on her own but most nights she is attached to my breast. I think she just needs the comfort most of the time. I think she knows other ways to soothe herself but most of the time the breast I her favorite.
  • Are you nursing top or bottom breast? Im fairly small chested and I nurse bottom breast. With a pillow behind my back I can almost be on my back and dd can be latched. Good luck!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• Are you nursing top or bottom breast? Im fairly small chested and I nurse bottom breast. With a pillow behind my back I can almost be on my back and dd can be latched. Good luck!

Yes. This is what I was trying to describe in my OP. I've been doing this the last two nights. I go to the chiro too.
    I think I'll get a massage for this stiff neck and try adding more memory foam and yoga when I can and neck stretches too. More onto my already hefty todo list but ces't la vie!
  • Hi @SidraJedi :) Happy to see you on this board in addition to our birth club!

I don't really have any advice that hasn't already been offered. Just wanted to say hi. :P
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"