February 2014 Moms
Options

Something I just don't get... Baby naming RANT

So, being that we have a little darling on the way, and that for the first 20 weeks I didn't know what I was going to have, I spent a lot of time on Nameberry trying to figure out different girl names I liked just in case. I hopped back on today, just to see what was going on there, and I was utterly confused at how many "HELP MY BABY IS X DAYS OLD WITHOUT A NAME" threads there were. 

I'm sorry, but did you not have 9 months to think about this? Did you wake up and suddenly have a baby sliding out of you? I just really don't get it. 

Now I know there are a lot of woman who are Team Green and don't know the sex until Baby is in their arms, but I'm sure that TG'ers have at least THOUGHT of Baby Names, and have probably come prepared with a few names up their sleeves.  But to not have ANY idea at all, and to obviously not have even attempted to figure it out? 

I just don't get it. Especially since I've had my son's name picked out since before my BFP.

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
— The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

Re: Something I just don't get... Baby naming RANT

• Options
    GiraffealaffGiraffealaff member
    edited September 2013
    Beachbumm2214
    Grats on your baby boy! We had one Solid name always picked for a boy, but I was lost when it came to girls names. I DID find a lot of really nice ones though and was able to Narrow it down to 2 or 3 names. 

Good luck, and I hope you find the perfect name for your perfect LO.

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”

• Options
    My cousin was 3 weeks old before he had a name. The government was calling/sending letters. I'm not sure of all the reasons for the delay, maybe he just didn't look like the name they'd picked? They actually aren't thrilled with the name they picked, and everyone calls him by a nick name. This isn't their first child btw. Maybe some people just get overwhelmed? We're starting to rethink the names we picked out 4 months ago, so I'm not surprised some parents change their minds after the birth. Ross and Rachel did!
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My mom told me she had a name picked out and then when she saw me it went out the window. She got a lot of "this kid needs something on a birth certificate." before she finally decided on my name.

And, IMHO the name I have is waaayyyyy better than the original name she had picked!

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• Options
    I found out today I'm having a boy. No idea what to name him. Been looking/thinking of one for months now...he might end up being one of these lol. I have like 10 girl names picked out.

This is me. Exactly. I had a girl name ready to go. And today we find out it's a boy. I've got nothing. (Okay, slightly untrue...I have two ideas since 8:30 this morning.)
    F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    with my first we both had our list of top ten and when imet him, none of them seem to fit. so we were that couple who were about to leave without a name for baby...then we chose such a traditional name, Nicholas LOL

my second was named before i met him which i will never do again as I dont think the name suits him

with this one, our third boy...i am CLUELESS with names. we just cant agree on one :( so i know it happens..bec i have been there and done that. a name says sooooo much about a person. i certainly fit my name as does my sister fit hers...i cant imagine what would have happened if the names were reversed LOL
  • Options
    I could never understand that either (when parents don't have a name picked out when their LO arrives). However, now that DH and I have started talking about names...I'm slightly concerned that might be us!! We simply can't agree on any names at all! And every time we discuss names, one of us (usually me) storms off in frustration. I like trendy names...DH likes older/outlandish names. In fact yesterday he suggested Rembrandt and Archibald! See what I mean? My kid is going to end up nameless. Smh
  • Options
    @mfr619 I do see what you mean. Luckily I hear that traditional names are making a comeback and becoming quite trendy, so hold hope you may find something!

• Options
    With DD, we went in with a list of 10.  Her name wound up being there on the list, thankfully, so I had the name pretty quickly the morning after the C-section.  With the difficulties & me getting ill, the first night I was pretty drugged, so...clarity & name-selection was not at the top of my mind.

With DS, I had a list of names, & DS wasn't ANY of them.  NONE of them fit.  I started going through every name in my head (& yes, this is after I'd gone through the book to get the first list, & online sites, etc).  Sometimes, they just AREN'T any of your choices, and if it doesn't fit, you can't force it.  

I chose a name the night before we were discharged, did the paperwork that morning along with my discharge paperwork.

Some have a name in mind well before they're even pregnant.  Some baby's fit it.  And some don't.  You might find yourself scrambling at the last minute to find a better fit for your baby, & it might be a last minute, "holy-crap-what-what-what-c'mon!!!!" for you, too.
  • Options
    Years ago, babies weren't named until their first birthdays.  It gave the parents a lot of time to consider whether a name fit or not.  We were team green with DD and had a boy and a girl name picked out.  She was a girl and got the girl name.  We're having a boy this time and still love the boy name, so we're set. 
    imageimage

"Beanie" Natural 7w MC 11/21/12

"Nole" stopped growing at 7w3d D&E 2/11/13

Diagnosed with MTHFR and Factor V Leiden on 4/3/13

Due with RAINBOW GIRL 2/10/15

• Options
    I don't really get it either. Seriously, you have a long time to mull things over. I also don't really get wanting to meet the baby first and see if the name fits. IMO, newborns don't really give you much to go off of. DH feels exactly the same way. I guess it really comes down to the parents personality on this one, since I'm sure there are people who don't understand how I could already have names picked out for all of my children years before the first baby was conceived.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • Options
    H and I are team green. We have two names picked out for a boy and two names picked out for a girl. So I hope one of those fits. 
     ***********************************************************************************************
      blogbutton badge!!!
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Last time, it was easy. DD was named the day of the a/s! I always loved the name, Emma and DH liked it too. This time it's been harder. However we have about 3 girl names and a tentative boys name so we are getting there. Hopefully we find out the sex at a/s on Wed and that will help us narrow out choices!
  • Options
    I was three weeks old before I was officially named :)  (of course my mom didn't ask the internet boards).   I think a name is one of the hardest things to decide on for some people- you can know how you want to raise your child and the values you want to instill upon them, but a person's name is usually the first thing someone learns about them after what their physical appearance is, of course.  It's a big job!
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • Options
    I had a lovely boy name picked out... Chase Alexander .... But we are having a girl. Didn't take long to find a girl name we fell in love with... Ella Faith. I'm a planner so I need things set in stone. Kind of OCD I guess. Lol
  • Options
    I don't really get it either. I haven't decided on our little's name (since girl from high school used the one I had planned on) yet but I have a list going, just nothing has really "clicked" yet.
  • Options
    My DD didn't have a name for at least a day.  We had three first names and three middle names chosen.  I was convinced until she was born that her name would be Hannah, which was one of the names on the list.  She just didn't seem like a Hannah so we had to figure out if any of the other names fit.  One did, but it took us a while to decide.
    Abigail Grace 9/7/10
    Nathaniel Willis born sleeping 2/6/14
    Felicity Hope 4/6/15

• Options
    My friend just had a baby at the end of August.  She was 3 days old before she had a name.  :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"