August 2013 Moms
Options

Vitamin d supplement

My pedi recommended using a vitamin d supplement, because breast fed babies need the extra. I never used them with dd1. How many of you ladies are using them and how does lo like them, I remember them having a horrible taste.

Re: Vitamin d supplement

• Options
    I use the Super Daily D3  for Baby. It is only one drop. I put it on my nipple since I EBF. DD doesn't seem to mind.

• Options
    My pedi recommended the same. We just started. We use Baby Ddrops. One drop on a nipple once a day. He doesn't even notice them!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah my girl is a preemie on Poly Vi Sol with Iron. Its nasty stuff and I add it to her pumped bottles for DC...but she doesn't take those 2 bottles well.

My ped actually recommends Tri Vi Sol for BF babies...it smells so much better!! My girl was 33 weeks so they want her on the other unfortunately...
  • Options
    Were you able to find the d3 at a store or online only, I asked my pedi if there was a one drop one and she had no knowledge of one
  • Options
    I use poly vi sol with vitamin d. LO makes a face when she takes it but she doesn't cry or anything. I do it when she doesn't have anything on because it stains brown.
  • Options
    Thanks! I will ask if she recommends one over the other since I have seen the poly vi sol more, as long as I don't get screaming I am happy ;)
  • Options
    @ludali they actually don't make the tri vi sol anymore! My ped originally wanted DD on that
  • Options
    my pedi never mentioned this.  is this something I should be doing??
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I didn't do it with dd1 and she has never had any issues with soft bones. My pedi said that breast fed babies tend to have softer bones, but I don't know the truth to that. I would ask your pedi if she recommends it for your lo
  • Options
    Ffrey1119 said:
    Were you able to find the d3 at a store or online only, I asked my pedi if there was a one drop one and she had no knowledge of one
    We bought ours at Whole Foods.

• Options
    manditxg said:
    my pedi never mentioned this.  is this something I should be doing??
    Some research says it's not really necessary, but I didn't think it would hurt to give the drops. Your pedi may be in the "unecessary" camp.

• Options
    We use 1 mL of D-Vi-Sol (pediatrician recommendation) and LO seems to really like them. You can get them at target or Wal-Mart. One of my friends uses Poly-vi-sol and her LO hates the taste.

image  image 

BFP #1 11/26/2012, EDD 8/7/2013, Elise Anne born 8/1/2013
    BFP #2 8/21/2014, EDD 4/11/2015, M/C 9w5d, D&C 9/17/2014
  • Options
    I use Poly Vi Sol, I EBF but give it to DD in a bottle nipple.  It seems to work OK, although I will say it definitely doesn't taste good.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We on a D drop as well. Picked up at WF. Ped said Vitamin D does not cross through BM

• Options

I use the Super Daily D3  for Baby. It is only one drop. I put it on my nipple since I EBF. DD doesn't seem to mind.

I never thought to put it on my nipple!

I bought some enfamil brand divisol but I only have it to her once. My ped said it was recommended but he didn't sound like he was too concerned about it. He joked we wouldn't know if it was beneficial till she was 7 but it wouldn't hurt
  • Options
    tanabeans said:

I never thought to put it on my nipple!

I bought some enfamil brand divisol but I only have it to her once. My ped said it was recommended but he didn't sound like he was too concerned about it. He joked we wouldn't know if it was beneficial till she was 7 but it wouldn't hurt
    The enfamil is TERRIBLE, at least the one I used. It has totally needless added flavor and color. DD absolutely hated it. Plus the amount you have to administer is ridiculous. I bought the Carlson Labs drops - one little bottle has 365 doses and has no added colors or flavors. DD doesn't even notice when I give it to her.

As to why to give it, my #1 reason is that there is evidence that insufficient vitamin D may be a factor in developing MS. My dearest friend (the woman DD is named for) has MS and her neurologist (who is one of the leading experts in the world on MS) told her this. Being a woman and being at high eelevation are also risk factors (we live in CO). So whether or not it helps anything else, that's why I give it.
  • Options
    I have preemies and so the dr rec Poly Vi Sol, but it has artificial colors and flavors and that's pretty ridiculous IMO.

I found the exact same thing at whole foods (by twin labs) with no artificial colors and flavors. The boys have no problems with it at all.

• Options
    It was brought up at my bf support group. My pedi never mentioned it but if there is an MS tie in I'm absolutely going to research further. I was diagnosed about 6 years ago and don't want lo to face this. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    My pedi never mentioned this to me, but I just read about it and I ordered Baby Ddrops from Amazon. They don't have any artificial colors, flavors or preservatives. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    Thanks again for responses! Much appreciated
  • Options
    We use D-vis-ol and my LO gobbles is right up! Smells like banana flavoring
  • Options
    BabyE143BabyE143 member
    edited September 2013
    alexkylee said:

We use 1 mL of D-Vi-Sol (pediatrician recommendation) and LO seems to really like them. You can get them at target or Wal-Mart.

This but we got ours at Meijer.

Our pedi said it was to lower the risk of our baby developing rickets. So I wouldn't be surprised if there was a link between MS and vitamin D deficiency.

Had our precious baby girl, Little Miss E, on August 14, 2013  143 → I.love.you.

photo newb_zps36c606c5.gif

• Options
    CBiggs85 said:

@ludali they actually don't make the tri vi sol anymore! My ped originally wanted DD on that

Oh no kidding! Guess my ped needs to update their paperwork!
  • Options

I have preemies and so the dr rec Poly Vi Sol, but it has artificial colors and flavors and that's pretty ridiculous IMO.

I found the exact same thing at whole foods (by twin labs) with no artificial colors and flavors. The boys have no problems with it at all.

With iron or no?? I might want to find this... can you tell me what its called?
  • Options
    I use it, we add it to her bottles.

• Options
    I'm talking to her ped tomorrow about it. She had it prescribed at her 1 week appointment. She can't keep it down. I've tried it different ways. It sounds like there are better options out there.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    alexkylee said:

We use 1 mL of D-Vi-Sol (pediatrician recommendation) and LO seems to really like them. You can get them at target or Wal-Mart. One of my friends uses Poly-vi-sol and her LO hates the taste.

This exactly, amount and all. I actually use it as a way to calm him once a day because he loves the sweetness!
  • Options
    The pedi at the hospital recommended it us so I asked my pedi about it at LO last appt and he said he doesn't recommend the drops until 3 months old (LO is 4 weeks)
  • Options
    I use D Drops for DD (and used them for DS). I've seen what vit D is linked to, and to me it makes sense to supplement.

You can supplement mom instead, but it requires very high doses (around 6000 IU daily). They push the D hard here in Canada - doc asks every visit, as does public health.
  • Options
    ludali said:

With iron or no?? I might want to find this... can you tell me what its called?
    @ludali

I just looked and it doesn't have iron. It does have DHA which isn't in poly vi sol. It's by TwinLab and is called Infant Care Multivitamin Drops w DHA.

• Options
    I'm confused how you know they taste bad if you never used them? I can't see signatures...

Not that you are wrong. They do taste awful. We use them, but LO spits a lot of it out. I take him out in a diaper for about 10 minutes of sun. I do live in a location where I can do this. Winter is a joke here.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I'm confused how you know they taste bad if you never used them? I can't see signatures...

Not that you are wrong. They do taste awful. We use them, but LO spits a lot of it out. I take him out in a diaper for about 10 minutes of sun. I do live in a location where I can do this. Winter is a joke here.

I could tell the enfamil one tasted bad because of DD's reaction. She spit and gagged every time I had to give it to her, and just looked so offended! Plus I got some on a finger once accidentally and licked it off - gross! Though it does sound like some babies enjoy the taste, just not me or mine! The dose was also a problem, one ml is a LOT when you're so tiny, (esp if you hate the taste!) and the $10 bottle only had a month's worth of doses. Not to mention the absolutely needless addition of artificial color and flavor! The Carlson Labs one I got costs $5 more for the same size bottle, but each dose is only a drop, so it's a year's worth, plus it's tasteless and odorless.

My problem with just taking her outside is, one, her skin is so delicate and sunscreen blocks most of the natural vitamin d from the sun, and two, come winter around here it gets very brrrrrrrr! With us being in such a high risk area for MS (I believe CO has the most cases per capita in the U.S.), I feel like the supplement is well worth it.

• Options
    CBiggs85 said:

No not unless this is very very recent because we have tri vi sol. It smells good. I have it but I barely give it to the baby, 1 because she gets supplemented with formula once in a while, but I take a multivitamin and extra vitamin d, so she should get a little of that.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• Options

This is from kellymom.com.  It addresses why vit D is a bigger issue in Canada.  If you eat a well-balanced diet, you should be ok but the problem with that is I'm sure plenty of people think they eat more nutritious food than they actually do.  For me, it's a better safe than sorry thing.  I would rather not risk my baby's development if such a simple preventative measure exists. 

"First of all, babies rarely need vitamin D supplements. The babies who do need these supplements need them due to a lack of sufficient sunlight. Factors that put your breastfed baby at risk for vitamin D deficiency (rickets) are:

• Baby has very little exposure to sunlight. For example: if you live in a far northern latitude, if you live in an urban area where tall buildings and pollution block sunlight, if baby is always completely covered and kept out of the sun, if baby is always inside during the day, or if you always apply high-SPF sunscreen.
    • Both mother and baby have darker skin and thus require more sun exposure to generate an adequate amount of vitamin D. Again, this is a “not enough sunlight” issue – the darker your skin pigmentation, the greater the amount of sun exposure needed. There is not much information available on how much more sunlight is needed if you have medium or darker toned skin. See the section below regarding amount of sunlight needed.
    • Mother is deficient in vitamin D – there is increasing evidence in the last few years indicating that vitamin D deficiency is becoming more common in western countries. The amount of vitamin D in breastmilk depends upon mom’s vitamin D status. If baby gets enough sunlight, mom’s deficiency is unlikely to be a problem for baby. However, if baby is not producing enough vitamin D from sunlight exposure, then breastmilk will need to meet a larger percentage of baby’s vitamin D needs. If mom has minimal exposure to sunlight (see above examples) and is not consuming enough foods or supplements containing vitamin D, then she may be vitamin D deficient. More below on supplementing mom with vitamin D.
    Vitamin D supplementation is often recommended, particularly in Canada and other northern latitudes since these areas don’t receive much sunlight during certain parts of the year. If you don’t get much sunlight exposure, consider taking a vitamin D supplement. The 2002 results of the Canadian Paediatric Surveillance Program confirmed 20 cases of nutritional rickets in Canada during 6 months of study."

Baby C - 08.23.13
  • Options
    @ashleyamberrn It was 4 weeks ago that I went to multiple pharmacies and they said they no longer carry it,  Maybe they still have it in your area though?
  • Options
    @cbiggs85, we got it about 6 weeks ago so it's entirely possible. Now I'm nervous to use it, might be a reason they discontinued it.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TTC since July 2011
    HSG normal in May 2012 followed by three unmonitored clomid cycles unsuccessful
    Unexplained female infertility (My husband apparently has super sperm)
    IUI # 1 Nov 24
    BFP Dec 8! EDD Aug 17th, due to Preeclampsia and HELLP, Kylie Penelope was born July 30th!

• Options
    My pedi recommended vitamin d with DS1 and DS2, but we chose not to supplement. I don't believe there is anything a newborn needs that is not in breast milk. I eat a healthy diet and try to get LO some sunlight everyday. DS1 never had any issues from not getting supplemental vitamin d. I discussed it with my pedi and she says that although they are encouraged to recommend it, breast milk is perfect and it will not harm LO if we do not supplement.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"