Stay at Home Moms
Options

Anyone use part-time daycare or mother's day out programs??

smiling76smiling76 member
edited September 2013 in Stay at Home Moms

I'm going back and forth on becoming a SAHM.  The biggest thing would be budget--but if I could make that work, I wondered what programs you utilize to give YOU some alone time to get things done that are tough to do with the kiddos around and also give them socialization.  My kids have always been in daycare since I worked outside the home, but now I have one in school and one that is still in daycare. He LOVES it.  It's a pre-school based program so tons of education, which it shows for him.  I would LOVE to keep him in either 2 half days or 2 full (9a-2p) days--but then I think "that doesn't seem normal".....

So I'm curious what reality is in terms of this type of thing out there.  There doesn't appear to be any mothers day out programs around.  The only thing around is pre-school when he's 4--which is 2 days a week for just a couple hours each day (and is actually almost as expensive as putting him in the daycare for 2 full days).  Not much in this small town.  :( 

I should also add--the time "away" would be used for deep house cleaning as well as a "business" idea I would love to venture in to (more of a hobby in hopes of making just a couple bucks--but something that would be tough to do with little hands around).  In addition, things like doc appts, errands that are virtually impossible to do with kids around (my husband works cooky hours and so I operate like a single mom). 

Re: Anyone use part-time daycare or mother's day out programs??

• Options
    I did something similar. I worked part time days up until the time ds was 2/dd was 1. When I quit my job I continued sending the kids to daycare part time two afternoons a week. I did get kind of ragged on for it but I knew it was best for both me and the kids. If you can make it work I definitely recommend it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have mine in a preschool program that two days a week for a couple hours. It gives me enough time to go to the gym or get coffee and shop by myself. I didn't want him in a longer program because we have 3 weekly therapy appointments, gymnastics, and mom's group playdates to work with as well.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Honestly, I didn't do anything like that until DS just started preschool recently.  And of course I still have DD all the time.  I run errands with the kids or I wait until later in the evening or weekends if I would rather do them alone so that MH can be with the kids.  If it's something I can't take kids for (like a doctor's appointment) it kind of sucks.  Either MH takes some time off work to stay with the kids during my appointment or I guess it could ask a family member or friend if I had to.  It doesn't often come up.  I will say that not having back up care is something that I've found very frustrating as a SAHM, but at this point it is what it is.

Most moms on this board will say it's not a good idea to go without having regular back up care (a friend or family member you can reliably call on, or a paid sitter, etc.).  If you can financially afford to have your kid(s) in daycare regularly and it's something that you want to do I say go for it, don't worry about what the "norm" is.  Just do what's right for you/your family.

As far as socialization goes we belong to a playgroup that we do things with regularly.  I'm always there with the kids though.  
  • Options
    LoveBug0516LoveBug0516 member
    edited September 2013
    I worked FT until June when we moved from the east coast to the south bay area. Now I stay home but just found a MMO on Thursday mornings from 9-12 ($20). Best $20 spent ever! I can come home and clean the house so quickly when alone (and not worry that she is sleeping g). Or I can food shop alone, or I can go to the beach for some peace and quiet. Last week I went clothes shopping for MYSELF and ate lunch ALONE! It was just enough time. If you can do it, definitely give it a try!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    If we had MDO programs in my area I would be ALL over it!!  

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • Options
    DD will be starting MDO this week!  I'm in very much need of it.  I will take her once a week and it goes from 9am-3pm.  You bring their lunch and they take a nap there.  Don't feel bad about it.  I also work part time for myself and need the time away.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Here it is common to start preschool at 3.  If yours doesn't start until 4 I would go with 2 mornings per week.  If I'm reading correctly - your younger one is 2?  That's how the people I know do preschool.  Starting at 2 mornings at 2 or if starting at 3 they do 2 or 3 mornings a week.

My 3 year old has started going 3 mornings a week and it's been great for both of us.  We still get to do something after school if we want and then come home for lunch and nap.  And on the other 2 days we go to the gym, chill at home or do a big, long outing here and there.
    TTC since September '08 After 2 m/c - lap for stage 3-4 endo Oct '09 Bravelle w/Ovidrel trigger - iui on 11/07 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    JCMJCM member
    I have been a SAHM since DD was born.  When she was a little over a year old I put her in MDO 1 day a week from 9-2.  When she was 2 she went 2 day per week. At 3 she went to a church based private pre-school 2 days a week from 8:30 - 2:30.  Now that she is 4 she goes 3 days a week same time and school as last year.  I needed the time for my own sanity.  DH travels a ton (Tuesday - Friday most weeks) and I was just worn out & needed to be able to do things on my own without worrying about entertaining DD 24/7.  I know there are a lot of mom's that can SAH without putting their LO's in any sort of program & that is great but I needed it.  I also have no family that could watch DD for me so these programs were a must.  

I know how you are feeling.  I felt that way too like I had to justify to myself & others why DD was in MDO or pre-school before the age of 4.  I had a lot of mommy guilt about it but now that I look back it was the best thing for both of us.  She needed to learn how to be away from me and gain a bit of independence.  She now LOVES school & happily goes off every morning.  I love the time I have to deep clean, fold laundry, grab a cup of coffee or even wander around Target without worrying about potential melt downs.  Alone time is a great thing!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"