October 2013 Moms
Options

oh, my...

JLW0504JLW0504 member
edited September 2013 in October 2013 Moms
I just had the best conversation with my mother...

Me: "Hey mom, are you still recording Hart of Dixie on your DVR?"

Mom: (long pause) "What's a DVR? I don't think we have one of those."

Me: ( after a few minutes of laughing) "you do have a DVR mother. It's that machine that records your television shows when you're not home."

Mom: "oh, well then no, I'm not recording anything at the moment."

Does anyone else have parents still living life pre-digital world?

ETA: fat finger symdrome
photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: oh, my...

• Options
    My mom is the anti-tech queen.
    We went computer shopping before I started college (with my dad too, who works in tech essentially). She was taking notes while the salesguy was talking. Then she asked, "What's a mo-dem?" (They were new, but not THAT new.) We told her and the guy not to worry about it because we had it covered. She followed up with, "Does that box come up with the computer?" while pointing at the CPU. The guy was really looking around for a candid camera.

Other gems:
    "What's down on the internet that you want to unload?"
    "Call her on the internet!" (Said in 2001, before internet calls.)
    "It's easy to get to the website. Just go to e-favorites."

DD1: born 1/19/11. DD2: born 10/10/13
  • Options
    CousinVickiCousinVicki member
    edited September 2013
    i don't have a DVR!   (my parents and in-laws do, and use them all the time haha)

• Loading the player...
  • Options

i don't have a DVR!   (my parents and in-laws do, and use them all the time haha)

I don't have cable. I may get it when LO arrives but for now I am dependent on my folks for my t.v.needs :|
    photo 978af5ba-08bb-4481-86d8-3ab82265c5c3_zpsc80d6cf2.jpg div align="center">photo f1bdfba8-890a-4221-be22-61d4a9f99eee_zps89ebc57e.jpg

• Options
    Both our moms call us all the time for computer and internet questions. It's really interesting now that mil has an iPhone

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Married my best friend 01/01/09

BFP#1 05/06/10. Jarebear born 12/29/10.

BFP#2 06/22/12 (DH's birthday). EDD 02/23/13. M/C and D&C 08/09/12

BFP#3 02/04/13. Alaina Beth born 10/09/13.
  • Options
    Lol! My parents are both very tech savvy!
    My 2 girls, both born on a Friday the 13th, are exactly 2 years, 2 months, 2 hours and 2 minutes apart! And Baby Boy joined us October 11, 2013! image
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My mom is pretty tech savvy. She basically insisted I get an iphone a couple of months ago, before that I didn't even have a smart phone.
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • Options
    My mom uses the terms "text, email, Facebook, and mAil" interchangeably. She uses them all but is utterly confused at all times where info comes from or how to respond. It's maddening to try and help her. It always starts with " what dies your screen look like right now?!?"
    • Married 6/1/2012
    • BFP #1 - 11/17/2012 -  MC 12/10/2012
    • BFP #2 - 2/12/2013 - EDD 10/17/2013 - DD Born 10/10/2013
    • BFP #3 - 1/29/2014 - Ectopic pregnancy discovered 1/31/2014
    • BFP #4 - 9/28/2014 - EDD 6/4/2015 - DS Born 5/31/2015

• Options
    ksimo6 said:

My mom uses the terms "text, email, Facebook, and mAil" interchangeably. She uses them all but is utterly confused at all times where info comes from or how to respond. It's maddening to try and help her. It always starts with " what dies your screen look like right now?!?"

Haha, that totally sounds like my mom!

• Options
    My dad has DVR, but still says he's "taping" things! (as in VHS ) lol
  • Options

my mom is so technologically challenged.  she tries to tell me all the time that she can receive texts on her phone, but she won't respond to them because they charge her.  (she still has an old flip phone.)  I've tried texting her twice because she's so insistent, and both times she called me and said, "Did you try to call me?!  My phone just beeped and showed your name, so I thought I missed your call"  hahahaha

My mom just learned to text about 2 months ago. She sends everything in caps and no spaces.

• Options
    AlexandrapAlexandrap member
    edited September 2013
    I have all of you beat, my father had a cell phone (always flip, never fancy) which he always left off to sae battery life. He didn't understand why my mom cut his line and got him a pay as you go phone. He insisted keeping it on was going I ruin the phone. He also used to say channel surfing was going to break the TV. He used kill with that stuff.

ETA: all game systems were Nintendo, no matter what kind you had and if you played longer than 30 mins a day you were going to break the tv. I'm starting to think he used to say this so we would go outside and not watch a lot of TV.
  • Options
    Forever my mom called texting "tex-mexing". "Gator I've been tex-mexing you all day!" Usually that meant she emailed me a dozen times saying why don't you ever answer this damn phone?

Then there is "lol". She used to sign everything "lol mom". Finally my brother and I asked her about it, she thought it meant "lots of love".

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

• Options
    Watched my mom simply type the word "download" in to the website address bar.  She pushed "enter" and of course it just redirected her to an error message.  She says, "I don't think I have a good connection."  "What are you trying to download, Mom?"  "A website."  I had to hold in my laughter.

Baby #2 M/C 4/5/16
  • Options
    Mom: "I really need to start exercising again. I need to ask your dad to hook up the VCR so that I can do my aerobics tape."........um...it's a DVD player and Zumba DVD......they also got HD about 2 weeks ago. It was a big day for them...and their VCR...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

1) My parents are still on dial up

2) My mom calls searching the internet, "getting on email."

3) They have a dvr, but never seem to delete anything off of it. My dad is stuck somwhere between 1930-1950 and still watches black/white/silent movies

4) Tape deck is a necessity in dad's car

5) They both think that cell phones need to be turned off while charging

Yea, I think my parents fall pretty far into that category

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    These are hilarious. My mom is not so bad with techonology, even though she still has a flip phone. She's on FB, she plays stupid FB games, has email, and can online shop. My dad is HORRIBLE, however.  Wouldn't even know how to turn a computer on. 

While we were living with them this past month, he would come up to me while I was on the computer and ask me to "put in" some random black and white movie actor's name - he thinks the internet is amazing because he can find out if some old actor is dead or alive.  Then I told him I could order him a book he wanted on Amazon and get it in two days. Then he said "what other books could you get me?" and I said "whatever book you want, dad." and he said "well, you tell me what books are on there and I'll tell you what to order"  I told him "EVERY BOOK, dad.  Every book you could ever want is on the internet, just tell me what you want and I will order it for you." 
    imageimage

• Options
    My dad is the worst. He thinks he knows what he is doing but he really has no idea. My brother finally had to password protect things so my dad would stop screwing with the settings.

My mom bought a Kindle and refuses to let him use it because after a week he had downloaded 40 dollars worth of apps. He was mad that her cc was charged and thought that the entire Internet was free.

He doesn't have a cell phone and it takes three remotes to turn on the TV so the sound will be on because he insists on hooking it up to a receiver that he bought in the 80s for "surround sound."
    Charlotte 12.3.09
    Madeline 6.24.11
    Eleanor 9.30.13
  • Options
    Forever my mom called texting "tex-mexing". "Gator I've been tex-mexing you all day!" Usually that meant she emailed me a dozen times saying why don't you ever answer this damn phone? Then there is "lol". She used to sign everything "lol mom". Finally my brother and I asked her about it, she thought it meant "lots of love".
    My mom used lol for "lots of love" too! She hates texting though. I send a text then she'll call. Pretty sure I didn't want to talk if I sent the text. Parents!

Mine is getting better at texting, but if she needs to get ahold of you she will text you "call me" then she will call you 5 times in a row.

9/13/12 BFP 9/25/12 M/C at 6.5 weeks

***All AL'ers Welcome***

• Options
    every email i send my dad (pictures of DD usually), he responds with "i got it"...because he thinks sometimes email doesn't "work". if he sends me pictures, and i don't respond, he'll call and ask if i got it.

• Options
    My parents don't have text messaging!! It is soooo annoying.
  • Options
    My mom's husband thinks he's computer savvy, but that's not the case. His yahoo email logs him out every so often, and then I have to come help him "fix the internet". He does everything from his yahoo homepage, so that's the internet, according to him.

My mom learned how to use a computer to play solitaire about a year or so ago. I had set her up with an old laptop for her to use, and was even going to try teaching her how to use other applications, but that didn't go over very well. That laptop died so now we're looking at getting her an inexpensive tablet for her solitaire addiction. 

She has a pervy friend who is occasionally texting her asking her to send a picture of herself. And she has no idea that he's just being pervy, and she's married so that's not appropriate. One day she asks me "how do I open this text?" so I show her. Followed by "how do I take a picture of myself?" You don't. 
  • Options
    haha, my MIL gets so mad when somebody 'clears out her copy'. Meaning, she copies and pastes things such as coupon codes and links and gets mad when my FIL also uses the copy button because it 'clears hers out'. I'm not sure how she thinks it works and poor DH has tried to explain it to her way too many times!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Not my parents, they are pretty up to date.. however, MH cracked up when I handed his grandpa my DSLR camera to take a picture of us yesterday... after about 5 minutes of explaining "Look through here and press the button", he did manage to take the picture (completely crooked, but nothing photoshop can't help with), then he said "I don't know, did I do it right?"  I said "Yeah Pop, here it is.. it looks great, thanks!"  He LOST HIS MIND when he saw the picture.. "You can see it NOW??"  MH explained to him that it's digital, there's no film, so he started clicking away lol there were all these random pictures and they looked like a 3 year old took them.  It was great.

AAAH you just made me remember my visit to Greece at the age of 12. My father grew up in a mountain village, there was one party line when we were there and the same house that had the party line also had the only tv. THAT was it for the entire village. 
    So we come in with our fancy technology and are video taping the family. Here is how that went down:

Camera rolling
    Ppls sitting really still, holding their poses and not saying a word.
    We're telling them to say hello to the fam back in Canada and they continue to stay totally silent and still... Like posing for turn of the century daguerrotype photography.

Once off camera we showed them the vid on the tv and they were like : WHAT? We are on TV??? How did this happen from here?

Priceless. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"