May 2014 Moms

1st appt with Nurse Practioner???

Hi I'm a FTM and was in search for a OBGYN and the doctor I wanted to go to is currently not taking anymore May babies. So I found another office but my first visit is with a Nurse Practioner ... I've never heard of this? Anyone with experience??? Feedback??

Re: 1st appt with Nurse Practioner???

• My first office visit is with a nurse. I'm going in the following week to see the doctor. My first appointment is this week so I can't give you any information about it yet.

DD #1 5.4.14  
    EDD #2 5.4.17

• Lots of ladies have posted about their first appt being with a NP rather than the OB. It doesn't seem unusual to me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • That's what my office does. The first appt is just a quick u/s or blood test to make sure the baby is fine from my understanding. Then at the 12 week appt you will meet with your actual doctor and be doing lots more tests and another u/s. That is my personal experience, and the experience of a few of my friends, so it sounds normal to me. However, I am a FTM, so I'm by no means an expert.
    BabyFruit Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • My first appointment is this Wednesday with a Nurse Practioner. They are just as capable as doctors, but I will eventually get an OB/Gyn - just don't know at what point. I'll post on Wed after my appointment and let you know how it went :)

DS #1: May 25, 2007

DS #2: Jan 7, 2009

DD #3 due May 17, 2014!!! Low lying placenta and DD measuring 1 week ahead at big u/s

• I have my first appt today with a nurse. Totally normal.
  • It's not that weird. NPs are mid level practitioners, similar to Physician Assistants. Personally I am not crazy about NPs because I don't believe their education is appropriate for the independence they have in practice, but that is just me. This NP might work very closely with the OB, so that wouldn't be that big of a deal. Figure out who will be delivering your baby, what level of involvement the OB will gave with you during your pregnancy, etc. if it makes you feel more comfortable.

• normal.  the initial visit at my practice is with a nurse.  It's just bloodwork and family medical history.
    AVT - 12.2.11

LCT - 5.15.14 ~ 9lbs, 22.5 inches

• Thank you!!!!!! My appointment is next Thursday!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I'm looking forward to hearing how your appointments go!!!
  • My health care provider is a nurse practitioner. I will see her until 30 weeks when I am referred to an ob or potentially just a family practitioner who delivers babes depending which way I go.
  • There are to OB's and after my first visit I will see either one because either one will deliver
  • We are military..so my process has been different from what others have posted. However, my first appointment was with a NP it was more for "OB Registration" the NP took my family history and all of my information, gave me my due date and then I went to the lab for blood work and urine test. I also then went to radiology to schedule my first ultra sound. My first official appointment is tomorrow with my midwife. I've already had my US and other stuff done though.
  • With my first child, my OB's office worked that way.  I met with the NP for my first appt, and then met with the OB my second.  I switched back and forth between the two until I hit 36w, at which point I just met with my OB.  It worked great for me.
    DD - 12.14.10
    Always missing little Phoebe 22w5d (4.5.13) - diagnosed with TD Type I.  
    DS - 5.6.14
    CP - 2.25.16
    Surprise BFP - 6.8.18 - due 2.17.19
  • Mine was like that. I met with the nurse at 6 weeks and did bloodwork only.  She asked me a LOT of questions ranging from family medical history to how I was feeling that day to just about anything under the sun.  Early stuff too like if I'd thought of a pediatrician or not yet, lol.  She also gave me a journal, a pregnancy book and lots of pamphlets and told me how our hospital worked.  It was pretty informative.  My second appt. is this week with the doctor who sees us at 8 weeks.  

Good luck!

• My first appointment is with a NP, same with my last pregnancy. Very normal practice :)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I suppose I would be offended to if someone told me I wasn't qualified for the job I was doing. I had a sibling in PA school and a roommate going through the NP program at the same time. What a joke... Made me very wary of NPs because of their lack of comprehensive education. They certainly have a very important role, but it should not be in independent practice without physician oversight.

• Mine is also with a NP. :)
  • ehowa499 said:

I suppose I would be offended to if someone told me I wasn't qualified for the job I was doing. I had a sibling in PA school and a roommate going through the NP program at the same time. What a joke... Made me very wary of NPs because of their lack of comprehensive education. They certainly have a very important role, but it should not be in independent practice without physician oversight.

But they do have physician oversight. Is a physician hovering over their shoulder during each visit? No. But part of the training is knowing when they're not qualified & referring to their attending physician. Obviously the law disagrees with you otherwise they wouldn't exist in the form they do.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Very normal...especially with super busy OB GYNO offices. First appointment is so simple and pretty basic...I see NP first appt and then it is doc rotation after that....unless OBs are super busy or pulled out of office for special circumstance.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo DSC_0014.jpg
  • I personally prefer the NP at my office.  She often has more time to ask questions then the OB.  It isn't anything abnormal for them to see the early easy appt.

imagephoto BeachAudrey6-23-2013_zps95b514cd.jpgphoto TRCALBadge_zpse0b3d2cb.jpg
    BFP #1 9-22-10 Missed M/c 10-18-10 D&E 10-28-10

BFP #2 5-9-11 EDD 1-12-12 Audrey Rachel born 1-12-12

BFP #3 9-21-13 EDD 5-30-14

• My first appt is on Wednesday with the nurse practitioner. I have seen her for my routine annual a couple times before and she is more thorough then some of the doctors. I will be rotated with every doctor and the practitioner throughout my pregnancy. It doesn't bother me either way. I don't think there is anything going on that a doctor should be there for that the nurse practitioner can't do.
  • @monimu13 well said. I'd take a good NP over a brand new resident any day! I was so glad DD was born when she was... The week before allllll the new residents started.
    Definitely got to deliver before July 1st :)
    CafeMom Tickers
     Anniversary
    TTC since July 2011
    BFP #1: 2/15/12-Ectopic/Mtx at 6 wks

BFP #2: 10/12/12-m/c at 5 wks. 
    BFP #3: 8/27/13
    Me: MTHFR, Low AMH (1.1), High NK cells and Antiphospholipid Antibodies.
    DH:MFI-Low morph (1%), DNA fragmentation: Excellent!
    5 rounds of clomid, 3 IUIs, and multiple non-medicated cycles- BFFN                                                      
    IVF with ICSI in August 2013 brought us our babies.  ER-9R, 7M, 4F w/ICSI  ET of 2-Grade 2 blasts. 
    + HPT at 6dp5dt. #1 (8dp5dt)- 105    #2 (13dp5dt)- 510  #3 (15dp5dt)- 960  #4 (17dp5dt)- 1889
    Dx shortened cervix, PTL, and preeclampsia during pregnancy.  Lots of medications and 13 weeks of bedrest, babies were born healthy at 34w4d!

imagehttp://oi44.tinypic.com/10dwifm.jpg
  • I would be more put off at the "not accepting anymore May babies" comment than anything.. and if it were me, I would be looking elsewhere.

I had a not so stellar experience using an OB for my first pregnancy and I will never do that again.  Going the midwife route this time and will actually see my midwife each and every time.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• I actually asked for my first appointment to be with the NP because she is the one I have been going to yearly for my GYN visits. I know she can't continue to follow my pregnancy but I have a great rapport with her and am excited to share my good news with her. I wish she was an OB but that's ok. From what I hear not much happens at the first visit any way. I'll find out tomorrow :)
  • My first visit was with a NP.  She verified my medical history and kind of went over the information pamphlets and stuff she was giving me (2nd time mom so she didn't need to spell it all out this time), I did a blood and a urine test, and I'm pretty sure none of it verified my pregnancy.  If I understood correctly, the pee test was to make sure I don't have some kind of infection and the blood test was to see if I was up to date on all necessary vaccines or something like that.  Next Monday is my first appointment with the midwife, and I get my precious (hopefully belly) ultrasound then.
  • I go the 15th to see the NP for my midwife's covering OB. As long as there are no hiccups I will never actually see an OB, only the NP to establish me as their patient & then I only see the midwife from there on out.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I totally agree with NP collaboration on a team. I also agree with NPs following POC. NPs and PAs can typically spend more time with their patients because their reimbursement is a totally different system than docs. I'm just saying that I trust the training of medical doctors (yes, even those in residency because they have had over a year in clinicals under direct supervision of Drs) over the education and training of an NP. Look at their school requirements- if I wanted to be a medical professional, NP would be the way to go because it isn't as intense and they don't expect as much out of you.

• My first two appointments were with the nurse practitioner. I don't see an actual doctor until October 29th. Seems like that's very common.
    imageimage

• ehowa499 said:
    I totally agree with NP collaboration on a team. I also agree with NPs following POC. NPs and PAs can typically spend more time with their patients because their reimbursement is a totally different system than docs. I'm just saying that I trust the training of medical doctors (yes, even those in residency because they have had over a year in clinicals under direct supervision of Drs) over the education and training of an NP. Look at their school requirements- if I wanted to be a medical professional, NP would be the way to go because it isn't as intense and they don't expect as much out of you.
    I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  Let me get this straight...you dont trust NPs and think that the whole program "was a joke", but you would choose to be one because you think its easy?
    CafeMom Tickers
     Anniversary
    TTC since July 2011

IVF with ICSI in August 2013 brought us our babies.  ER-9R, 7M, 4F w/ICSI  ET of 2-Grade 2 blasts. 
    + HPT at 6dp5dt. #1 (8dp5dt)- 105    #2 (13dp5dt)- 510  #3 (15dp5dt)- 960  #4 (17dp5dt)- 1889
    Dx shortened cervix, PTL, and preeclampsia during pregnancy.  Lots of medications and 13 weeks of bedrest, babies were born healthy at 34w4d!

• ehowa499 said:

I totally agree with NP collaboration on a team. I also agree with NPs following POC. NPs and PAs can typically spend more time with their patients because their reimbursement is a totally different system than docs. I'm just saying that I trust the training of medical doctors (yes, even those in residency because they have had over a year in clinicals under direct supervision of Drs) over the education and training of an NP. Look at their school requirements- if I wanted to be a medical professional, NP would be the way to go because it isn't as intense and they don't expect as much out of you.

You should probably just stop while you're ahead . Didn't you just say NP programs were a joke? Yet that would be what you'd choose?
    My Blog
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

• I totally agree with NP collaboration on a team. I also agree with NPs following POC. NPs and PAs can typically spend more time with their patients because their reimbursement is a totally different system than docs. I'm just saying that I trust the training of medical doctors (yes, even those in residency because they have had over a year in clinicals under direct supervision of Drs) over the education and training of an NP. Look at their school requirements- if I wanted to be a medical professional, NP would be the way to go because it isn't as intense and they don't expect as much out of you.
    You should probably just stop while you're ahead . Didn't you just say NP programs were a joke? Yet that would be what you'd choose?
    Because its super easy!
    CafeMom Tickers
     Anniversary
    TTC since July 2011

• The practice I go to it is their policy the NP handles all first OB appts. When I spoke to her to make the appt she was great. I don't see anything weird with handling that way at all.
  • ehowa499ehowa499 member
    edited September 2013
    Hypothetically ladies. No I wouldn't choose to be an NP because I don't agree with the way the profession is headed. But you are right, agree to disagree. Edit: don't agree with the way the profession is headed or the education they have. Just to be clear.

• Just out of curiosity @ehowa499, what do you do for work?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Sorry I always assume everyone speaks my language. I'm an occupational therapist.

• ehowa499 said:

• How can you base your opinion off of one program?
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • ehowa499 said:

Sorry I always assume everyone speaks my language. I'm an occupational therapist.

Seems like you do a lot of assuming.
    My Blog

TTC #1 since February 2011
    Me: 29 (3/5/13- high NK cells)  DH: 28 (5/8/12- MFI low morph and motility)
    Cycle #21 (IUI#1), Cycle #22 (HSG 9/21/12) and Cycle #23 (IUI#2)=  image
    Cycle #24- December Snow Bunny IVF #1
    ER 12/6/12 (14R, 11M, 9F), ET 12/9/12 transferred 2 day 3 embies
    Bleeding and low betas=very cautious image C/P 5W3D
    Cycle #26 March Lucky Duck- FET #1
    scheduled 3/20/13- CANCELLED- lining issues
    Cycle #27 May Emerald- FET #1.2
    delayed- Starting Trental for 3 months + natural cycles Cycle #28-30=  image
    Cycle #31 August Shooting Star- FET #1.3 
    transferred 1 hatching blast 8/21/13= imageBetas 8/30 (108) and 9/3 (565)

U/S 9/19/13- HR is 128!  U/S #2 10/4/13- HR is 174!
    It's a BOY!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"