July 2012 Moms
Options

Those that sell/sold something

Is it worth it?  A total waste? Lucrative?

I really need some extra cash and recently went to a Mary Kay event with a friend who sells it and was enticed by the potential to "earn from home" However, I know nothing about MK and don't want to sell it.

I have been researching direct selling, though, and I am seriously considering selling Scentsy and I just want to hear some direct selling experiences. Is it really hard? Time consuming? Akward to sell? Do/did you make a lot? Did you fail miserably? I am so worried it will be too awkward for me to try and sell something to someone and I will fail miserably. How do you do it? What is the hardest aspect? 

Also, I hope this isn't considered spam and I'm banned for life for asking.....

@stokedwifey

Re: Those that sell/sold something

• Options
    MissMusic said:
    I might offend someone here, but I'm going to say it anyway.

MK and Scentsy and all that--they're pyramid schemes.  As I understand it, you have to be in deep and work your ass off to actually make anything.  If you have loyal family members who will buy from you often, then it might be worth it.  I myself would never be involved in a pyramid scheme.

I knew someone who used to Scentsy, and she did a LOT of nighttime and weekend stuff, with parties and whatnot.  I have a friend who sells MK and she has to send out emails and flyers all the damn time, and I never buy.  Its just one of those things.

See that is my hold up with MK. I don't want to have to try and convince people to buy anything. Maybe I'm too hopeful, but I know so many people that want Scentsy already I feel like it would sell itself and I wouldn't have to actively try and "sell" a product. Maybe I am being hugely naïve, though. My mom and sister buy so much Scentsy it is ridiculous, so they might as well buy it from me, right?

• Options
    StokedWifeyStokedWifey member
    edited September 2013
    I didn't intend to direct sales, but I'm glad I did.  I'm not a salesperson at all.  I know you haven't really seen it because we had pretty natural conversation starters in the boys, but I'm pretty shy.  I use Facebook the most and very rarely do I go outside of my comfort zone and speak to strangers.  I may work on my business (Facebook messages, etc) 2 hours a week and average about $1,200 a month.  I got lucky, though, and fell into one of the highest grossing groups in the entire company. My direct advisor brings home $20K a month!  They're teaching me their ways and I'm teaching other people so we can all get to that level.

I say all that to emphasize that you should be picky about the company you go with.  Consider the products you'd be selling and your base of potential customers.  With Mary Kay, my company, etc., you likely have repeat customers.  With Scentsy, you may not.

The hardest part is building a team, and that's where all direct salespeople make their money.  Your sales scope is limited to the people you know and come across, but the scope expands exponentially as you build a team.  It's hard to find people who are serious about making money, or because direct sales have such a bad reputation, to convince people it's legit and they can make money.  

ETA: I'll also add that my company pays out differently so it doesn't fall under what people call "pyramind schemes."  Research the compensation plans and how salespeople work together for each company you'd consider.  I can't really go into specifics on here without potentially violating TOS, so text me if you need clarification.
    Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I didn't intend to direct sales, but I'm glad I did.  I'm not a salesperson at all.  I know you haven't really seen it because we had pretty natural conversation starters in the boys, but I'm pretty shy.  I use Facebook the most and very rarely do I go outside of my comfort zone and speak to strangers.  I may work on my business (Facebook messages, etc) 2 hours a week and average about $1,200 a month.  I got lucky, though, and fell into one of the highest grossing groups in the entire company. My direct advisor brings home $20K a month!  They're teaching me their ways and I'm teaching other people so we can all get to that level.

I say all that to emphasize that you should be picky about the company you go with.  Consider the products you'd be selling and your base of potential customers.  With Mary Kay, my company, etc., you likely have repeat customers.  With Scentsy, you may not.

The hardest part is building a team, and that's where all direct salespeople make their money.  Your sales scope is limited to the people you know and come across, but the scope expands exponentially as you build a team.  It's hard to find people who are serious about making money, or because direct sales have such a bad reputation, to convince people it's legit and they can make money.  

ETA: I'll also add that my company pays out differently so it doesn't fall under what people call "pyramind schemes."  Research the compensation plans and how salespeople work together for each company you'd consider.  I can't really go into specifics on here without potentially violating TOS, so text me if you need clarification.

Scentsy candles need wax, so that's repeat customers right? I mean, make up lasts like a year and wax maybe a few months (though it is a lot cheaper) I just don't want to have to "convince" people that my product is good or worth it, and I feel like everyone loves Scentsy and just needs a person to buy it from. I have thought about AdvoCare and researched it a little bit, but again: I have never used the product and can't really afford to right now so how can I promote it? Same issue with MK. I use Scentsy all the time and I am definitely a repeat customer. I usually have my sister order it for me from her friend, so why not sell it myself?

Obviously I am being super cautious and afraid of risking even the $99 start up cost, but I really like that there is no inventory to buy (and potentially lose $ on) so really the $99 is all I have to lose. And If I lose it, I still have tons of Scentsy stuff I can keep for myself. Sounds so easy yet still I'm hesitant....haha

• Options
    StokedWifeyStokedWifey member
    edited September 2013
    Oh yeah, there will definitely be some repeat customers with Scentsy, but I was thinking more like customers who will buy frequently.  I have about 12 scents that I've used over and over for a year.  I know about 5 people who do Scentsy and in order to make money, they have to get out and try with parties and stuff.  I THINK they make 20% or something like that off an order.  Don't quote me, but I do remember thinking they didn't make a ton for the amount of work they'd have to do.  If you know people who use it that would jump off their usual seller's ship and onto yours, you're golden.  I'd switch!  

@bliz1712 makes a good point about quotas too.  Before you commit, check in to that.  That's a big deal.

Yeah, with AdvoCare, you probably have more credibility if you're able to speak from experience.  I know people who have sold without using the products, but considering AdvoCare 101 is telling your AdvoCare story, you need to have a success story.
    Dating since 3.8.2008. Married since 6.4.2011. Bryson born on 6.28.2012
     CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    I recently started selling Thirty-One. The products are cute. I like them. It's only a $99 fee to start and you only have to do $200 in sales every 3-4 months to keep your consultant status. It's a 25% return on sales. Honestly I'm in it to support my purses and bags habit. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    What just happened in my diaper?!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I "sell" Mary Kay, but only to friends and family that already use it. And I like the products for personal use as well.

I can't stand the MK "culture" - it's pushy and like a glorified sorority...and I am NOT into that crap where you clap every time someone's name is announced, hand out roses with stupid poems, and "celebrate" every. tiny. thing. I can be happy without busting a vein over it.

Plus they've changed some of their operating procedures so that it's even more like a pyramid-scheme.

So I quietly sell it to those that need/want it and leave it at that, I don't make much off of it at all.

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"