Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Does your LO still have a paci?

Our DD is 23 months old, and she has been broken from a paci during the day. She doesn't require a pacifier at all at daycare (not even for naps there). At home, however, she's a bit more spoiled, though she doesn't get a pacifier during the day, she gets a paci for naps and, of course, for bedtime. Does your LO still have a paci at this age? If not, how did you break it?

Re: Does your LO still have a paci?

• Options

DS1 used a paci for naps and nighttime only until around 19 months.  Then we cut the tips off of them and told him they were "broken".  He cried at naps/night for about 2 days and then was over it.

DS2 turns 1 tomorrow.  He only uses his paci at naps and bedtime right now.  We are currently working on getting rid of it at nap time.  We'll probaby use the same cutting off the tips trick arond 15-18 months when we want to get rid of them totally.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Options
    My LO  (almost 15 mo) still uses his for naps and bedtime. We're having baby #2 at the end of March and would like to be done with LO's pacis by then.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes, only at night and naps.  I plan to just do it cold turkey in a few months.  I'm not in a big rush.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    I'm with everyone else, DD only has her paci at naptime & bedtime. But she's only 15 months. I was gonna give her a little longer, maybe 18 months then try to take it away. I think at 23 months they should be able to understand pretty well. It will be hard but just be firm on it. The "broken paci" thing sounds like a good idea!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Uck, yes. I'm so over it. He gets it for nap and bedtime. I had him about broken around his first birthday and then daycare gave it to him all the time. It's time to take it though.
    April's TTGP Siggy Challenge: Favorite Superhero
    SuperMan!
  • Options
    I've also heard with slightly older kids (not sure if 22 months would qualify or not!) it works to do a little goodbye ceremony for the pacis (i.e. they're going to a new baby who needs them, or the paci fairy is taking them because big boys/girls don't need them anymore).

Probably just depends on the kid whether or not they buy into that :)
  • Options
    LO is 18 months and uses his for naps only, although we did break down and give him the paci for a 4 hour car trip this past weekend.  
  • Options
    LO is 18 months and uses his for naps only, although we did break down and give him the paci for a 4 hour car trip this past weekend.  
  • Options
    Our DD is almost 23 months and still has her paci. She only gets it for naps and night. In fact, she leaves it right upstairs in her crib. She chews on them when she is teething. Once the rest of her teeth come through, we'll be chucking them. We only have eye teeth and 2 year old molars to go. (God help us...she does not teeth well and I swear her eye teeth have been slowly pushing for the last several months. I don't know how they can be so close and STILL not through the gum!)
    After 2 years of TTC, our daughter was born on Oct 31, 2011!
    7lbs 13oz  20 inches long
    image"Lilypie">

• Options
    DS is only 18 months but still has his paci and I'm not worried about it or in a hurry to take it away.  He only uses it in the bed and walks it over to the basket and puts it away when we get him out of bed.  

DS1 had one until he was 2.5 and then gave it up on his own.  It was literally overnight and incredibly easy.  He decided he was done with it and told me "all done" then went to sleep without it.  Our pediatric dentist doesn't worry about paci use until age 3.  I'd like for DS2 to be done with his by the time he's 2.5 so if he doesn't give it up on his own, we'll likely cut the ends off of them and try the "they're broken" idea.
  • Options
    My guy will be 2 on Wednesday and still uses it at night.  At this stage I think we're going to wait till his molars come in (he's working on them, so there's a lot of pacifier chewing) and then work on it. 
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I so badly am trying to get rid of it! This week we started ONLY naps and bedtime (DD is 17 months). Over this coming weekend I think we will take it away for naps and bedtime... I think I am more scared then my DD!
  • Options
    My DD just turned 1 on Saturday and the plan is to get rid of it cold turkey in about 2 or 3 months.  I am hoping this goes well.  She only uses it during naps and bedtime and if were out and she gets really fussy.
  • Options
    DD is 16 months tomorrow, and is totally in love with her "bebe".  She has zero interest in dolls, stuffed animals, blankies, lovies...but man does she love her "bebe". She uses it like a security blanket.  She'll hold it up to her cheek and stroke it, and play with it while she's eating dinner.  We're trying to limit it to sleeping and car rides, although anytime she's upset she wants it.

Am I allowing a slow-mo train wreck to happen?  Probably.  But I'm just not willing to take on this fight right now.  Maybe when she's done teething.
  • Options
    We still offer the paci at naps and night time.  Sometimes she uses it but she mostly relies on her thumbs now.
  • Options
    DS is 18 months and still has a paci for naps and bedtime. He just had hernia surgery so I plan on letting him get fully recovered from that before trying to take the paci away cold turkey. Maybe next week. Fingers crossed!

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    DD is 20 months and totally addicted to her paci. We try to limit to just nap, car, and bedtime but honestly I just give in and give it to her most times she wants it. I'm planning to do a cold turkey weaning sometime around her 2nd birthday and after her molars come in.

I had a friend who talked up "the paci fairy" to his DD starting a few weeks before her 2nd birthday. He expld that once you turn 2, the paci fairy comes to take away your paci to give to another baby that needs it since you are no longer a baby once you turn 2, etc. He then told her the paci fairy leaves you fairy wings for helping out. On the night of her birthday they left her fairy wings from a costume. She totally bought into it and never looked back. Now as to how many little stinkers this would actually work on, who knows? But it could be worth a try.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yes, DD just turned 1. She doesn't have a paci accept for sleeping and long car trips. But, her paci's are the only thing she likes to sleep with so she has one in her mouth and one in each hand when she goes to sleep. It's going to be tough to break her of that. We've tried little blankets, stuffed animals, taggies etc. she just throws them out of her crib.

• Options
    No - tried to wean from paci before it became an attachment that he could remember. I tried twice, at four and six months and it was clear he wasn't ready. At eight months he gave it up no problem. I just took it away during naps and bedtime (he had been using it to sleep only since 6 or so months) and he fussed a little more than usual and woke up a couple times, but by night three, he had completely forgotten. GL!

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"