August 2013 Moms
Options

Am I the only one?

Who can't hand express? The other day I tried to relieve some engorgement by attempting to squeeze some milk out in the shower and it just doesn't work. When I pump I get plenty, whether it's by electric or the handheld. But just milking myself the old fashioned way yields nothing!

Re: Am I the only one?

• Options
    Have you tried massaging them to get the milk flowing first? That's what I do for a few seconds.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

<3 Mama to 2 girls - H&I <3
  • Options
    I've honestly never tried.... :/

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have a really hard time too.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I can't figure it out. They will drip for sure. I know they leak, but I can't get milk out either.

When I pump I get 3 oz in 10-15 mins... No clue, lol

Mommy to J: Born 5/11/2010 & B: Born 8/26/2013

• Options
    I have never been able to.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to be over, it's about learning how to dance in the rain." -Unknown

Married 3-1-08  |  Nathan 11-24-08  |  Kaelyn 11-30-10  |  Alicia  8-17-13

• Options
    I place a warm waah cloth over the breast, then I massage around the breast like you do when you give yourself a breast exam (you can even bend forward and shake a little to stimulate milk flow). Then I place my pointer finger and thumb at noon and six o'clock on the areola and press into the breast. Make sure you roll the thumb and finger towards the nipple. The rolling is important to express the milk. I also rotate my fingers too so I'll start out at noon and six o'clock, press, roll, stop. Then I'll place my fingers at 10 and 4 press into, roll forward, at 11 and 5 press into, roll forward, back at noon and six, then I start back at 10 and 4.

Had our precious baby girl, Little Miss E, on August 14, 2013  143 → I.love.you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

photo newb_zps36c606c5.gif

• Options
    BabyE143 said:

I place a warm waah cloth over the breast, then I massage around the breast like you do when you give yourself a breast exam (you can even bend forward and shake a little to stimulate milk flow). Then I place my pointer finger and thumb at noon and six o'clock on the areola and press into the breast. Make sure you roll the thumb and finger towards the nipple. The rolling is important to express the milk. I also rotate my fingers too so I'll start out at noon and six o'clock, press, roll, stop. Then I'll place my fingers at 10 and 4 press into, roll forward, at 11 and 5 press into, roll forward, back at noon and six, then I start back at 10 and 4.

All of this. Once you get the hang of it, it's easy. I can actually hand express a few ounces, It just takes forever and it makes me feel like a farm animal getting milked.

photo crunchy_zps41233998.gif
  • Options
    Thanks for the tips! I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who hasn't had success with this. Another one of my breastfeeding friends can go into the bathroom at work and express herself when she needs to relieve some pressure, but since I've had no luck I always have to wait until I can get away for a pump break which means I walk around uncomfortable in the meantime. I'll try the methods mentioned and see if it helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"