Preemies
Options

Lockdown ?

andthatmakes4andthatmakes4 member
edited September 2013 in Preemies
I'm new to the preemie world and my baby is leaving the house only for dr appts right now. I keep seeing the posts about you guys being in lockdown and am just wondering what that looks like for everyone. Do you take LO anywhere? Also, this may be a stupid question but my pedi was very specific that baby was at home or at pedi's office. If weather is okay, can I take my baby for a walk in the stroller?

Thanks everyone!!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage

Re: Lockdown ?

• Options
    Lockdown for us was only taking them to doctors appointments or walks around the neighborhood. As long as baby is dressed appropriately walks are perfectly fine. We allowed only our parents to come over and had strict hand washing procedures. We didn't let anyone who had been sick come over until at least 5 to 7 days after symptoms ended.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Options
    Missa_g said:
    Lockdown for us was only taking them to doctors appointments or walks around the neighborhood. As long as baby is dressed appropriately walks are perfectly fine. We allowed only our parents to come over and had strict hand washing procedures. We didn't let anyone who had been sick come over until at least 5 to 7 days after symptoms ended.
    Exactly this for us, too. Walks are fine, as long as neighbors are kept at bay (you can get those "wash your hands before touching mine" stop signs to put on the stroller). I've found neighbors tend to forget boundaries when it comes to babies (especially those with small children...that's always my biggest concern!)
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is our first experience also. We're only going out for doctor appointments. I would love to take them for a stroll around the neighborhood, but there's too many children running around. They wouldn't understand if I asked them to not touch or might touch before I had a chance to say anything so we're just staying inside.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies. Is that what you all do for the entire RSV/flu season? We just got home from NICU last week so I'm trying to wrap my head around this. Our season lasts through March although he will start daycare in January unfortunately he will have exposure to other kids.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • Options
    We will be doing a partial lockdown, but not complete. We will be strict about visitors' health and hand washing and touching but we will be taking her out and about some. 

Our Angel Patricia born sleeping 3/30/12 at 31 weeks
    Our Fighter Anna born early 1/8/13 at 26 weeks
    Hoping to bring home #3 due 9/9/15
  • Options
    Yup, the whole season. The girls were only home in mid-jan, and we were antsy as all get-out by April. And, we still didn't really go places because it was just so difficult with two infants, my pumping schedule, etc. With only one baby (esp if I were actually BFing), I would have been runnnning out of the door come May. :) 

We had planned on putting the girls in daycare two days a week, but given all of this -- we opted to hire a nanny for those two days (my parents take care of them the other three days -- and that was always the original plan) -- and that plan has worked out great since I've been back at work.
    TTC Since 11/10 due to Unexplained IF 
    4 Rounds of Clomid, 2 Rounds of Femara + IUI, 2 rounds of IUI+ Injectables (Bravelle + Menopur) = First BFP! TWIN GIRLS!

November 2, 2012 - Claire (2lbs 8.9oz) and Paige (2lbs 10oz) arrive at 29w3d due to PTL and pPROM at 28w5d 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I think lockdown is pretty much void if he's in daycare.  Typically lockdown is only going out for doctor's visits or walks outside in the stroller.  My kids literally did not leave the house except for doctor's appointments from Nov-April their first winter home (they were 9 months - 14 months).  

I would just talk to the doctor about it.  If they are serious about being on lockdown they would not want him in daycare due to exposure to other kids.  If there's no way around daycare... we chose a small home one at 18 months, then I don't think lockdown really matters all that much since he's already exposed, but again talk to his pedi.

• Options
    My LO only left the house for doctors appointments from the time she arrived home until her due date. After that, we started with stroller walks and at about one month adjusted I started taking her shopping, etc. Only your pedi will know what is best for your child based on their medical circumstances. Ours told us that we did not need to go on complete lock down during RSV season, only to use common sense. Plane rides and day care were a no no, however. She told me that she was recommending this only due to my daughters fairly uncomplicated medical history. If she had been a micro preemie, etc., the advice would have been entirely different.

DOR and AMA
    2/12-5/12: 4 IUI cycles = all BFN;
    7/12: DE IVF # 1 (with ICSI)- 20R, 16M, 14F, 5DT of 2 blasts; 6 frosties = BFN;
    Lupus anticoagulant initially high, then found to be normal on hematology consult;
    Follow up testing in September all clear;
    Started synthroid for "high normal" TSH;
    FET # 1- late October 2012- BFP on FRER; beta # 1- 21(low), beta # 2- 48 (still low), beta # 3- 132, beta # 4- 1,293; beta # 5- 5,606; last beta- over 100,000. First u/s 11/21- heard heartbeat
    12/12- Officially an OB patient!
    Level 2 ultrasound at 20 weeks shows vasa previa and VCI
    Referral to MFM and mandatory c section for delivery
    Beautiful baby girl born at 34 weeks
    Finally home after 15 day NICU stay!
    Trying for sibling: FET # 2- May 2014; beta 5/31, BFN
    FET #3, early July 2014; beta 7/14, BFN
    DE IVF # 2- August 2014; 14R, 13M, 11F, 5dt of 2 blasts (3 AA), 5 frosties = BFN
    FET #4- December 2014, yet another BFN

Dr. KK work up shows borderline uterine blood flow, elevated NK cells, and MTHFR mutation (homozygous for c677t)

Added baby aspirin, prednisone, supplements, Metanx, and intralipids

Switched to large clinic for final attempt; had endometrial receptivity testing in January; FET March 2015 = yet another BFN

Likely OAD- NBC

• Options

Last year we were very careful. We were still in the hospital when RSV season started. We stayed in for the most part. DH is way way way too laid back though. I wanted to stay away a lot more than we did. His family brings their kids to everything no matter what... one had the flu once and he was at a family dinner. I would probably like to be on a partial lockdown this year too but DH thinks they aren't preemies anymore... I told him 2 years is when they are said to catch up. Anyways, just a little vent I guess. They both ended up with slight RSV last year and had to be on an inhaler.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"