May 2013 Moms
Options

Strange nursing issue

Over the past few days, LO is giving me a hard time with nursing. She acts hungry but then pulls off, cries, pushes away from me. I have to get into some pretty crazy positions in order for her to nurse. Then other feedings she is just fine.

I have a few theories... One is that maybe her gums are hurting from teething. No teeth are visible yet but she is drooling a lot, chewing on her hands, etc. Another theory is that all day long at daycare she is bottle fed- maybe she is developing a preference for the bottle over the boob?

Any other theories out there. Is this happening to anyone else?

Re: Strange nursing issue

• Options
    This happened to me right after W started daycare. I was so upset and worried that he wasn't going to continue nursing. I spoke to his pedi and she said to keep offering the breast. He is nursing well now. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    My LO does this sometimes and he is EBF... As in - won't take a bottle ever.

I chalk it up to teething... Or gas lol

TTC #2:
    March - May 2014 - Natural cycles - no luck
    June 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    July 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    August 2014 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
    September 2014 - Clomid 50mg - Fingers crossed...

• Loading the player...
  • Options

My LO does this sometimes and he is EBF... As in - won't take a bottle ever.

Same here!
    For my LO, I figured out that she either needed to sit up and burp, or she just wanted to be in a different position. For the past month we've nursed side lying on my bed about 98% of the time and she's never gotten pissed about it. Now she only get pissed if I try to nurse her in any other position. *sigh*
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My ds has started to become super distracted while nursing. He is constantly pulling away and looking around. I think sometimes he gets bored!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Yea. My LO did this when I started back to work too. I freaked out thinking he wanted the bottle more than me. But he got over it for the most part. He still has random times when he cries and pulls away, usually my first feeding when I get home. But most of the time he's okay. He is going thru a weird "don't want to eat, breast or bottle, would rather look around and play" phase. It's crazy.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    DS does this all of the time now and usually it's because he is tired and doesn't want to fall asleep. And nursing almost always makes him fall asleep so he will get really mad and pull off and try to distract himself from his hunger for a while. It's a constant battle because he will become so tired and hungry and overall unpleasant.
  • Options
    Yep, echo pps. So annoying, especially when I am in a hurry.
  • Options
    I have the same issue and it started around LO's 4th month. He gets overexcited about all the interesting things around so he gets easily distracted. I can manage him at home but when I'm in public it's pain in the @ss. He tries to get rid of the cover and is super fussy. I hope he will get over it soon. 
     CafeMom TickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
    image image
  • Options

JoJo716 said:
    My ds has started to become super distracted while nursing. He is constantly pulling away and looking around. I think sometimes he gets bored!
    Same with DD! And she sometimes tries to blow spit bubbles, talk, or stick her fingers in her mouth all while eating. I can't have a conversation with someone or eat while I'm nursing her anymore because she will stop eating, stare at me and smile haha I got a nursing necklace and it helps sometimes to distract her (you can find them on Etsy). It at least keeps her hands out of the way and from grabbing and pinching me...

Also, a while back she would start fussing and I soon realized that it was because she wasn't hungry anymore and I was trying to make her eat. She got really efficient and seemed to go from taking 20 to 30 minutes to taking 5 to 10 minutes all of a sudden. 
     Image and video hosting by TinyPic          

image  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thanks everyone. Today was a little better.

This morning she was distracted. She was smiling and talking away all while trying to eat. And sticking her fingers in her mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"