Parenting

Does anyone have a Chevy Traverse?

We are looking at possibly getting another vehicle.  I really want a 3rd row and DH is pretty set on it NOT being a mini van, although I don't care if we do.  We will probably get a used one - 2012 is what we have been looking into, but could maybe get new.  Do any of you ladies or gents have one?  Do you like it?  Pros?  Cons?  Thanks.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Does anyone have a Chevy Traverse?

• We test drove one and I really liked it. It was just a bit smaller than the minivan though so we went with a Sienna.

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Loading the player...
  • My friend has one and driving it,  however it is terrible on gas.  It costs about $100 to fill it and she needs to fill up twice a week on average, so $200 on gas a week! Other than that she loves it.
  • We also test drove one before we ended up buying our chevy equinox. We really liked it. It was a really smooth ride, and had lots of room, but it was almost too much space for our needs. We're only planning on having 2 kids (maaaybe 3 at most, spaced a few years apart), so we decided we didn't need the whole 3rd row deal. It also is a gas guzzler compared to our equinox.
  • Thank you @Luckie519! I'm in Canada so I'll have to call tomorrow and see if this applies to us too but I really appreciate the heads up!;)

image"

My 4 Angel Babies.....
    MC#1- 12/2008, MC#2- 05/2009, MC#3 07/2009, MC#4 11/2009

Training to become an IBCLC. BF Questions? Just ask!

• Mags748Mags748 member
    edited September 2013
    $100 to fill? How much is your gas @sandraanddrew ? It is usually around $60 for us to fill ours depending on the price of gas (and our gas is typically right around or a little higher than the national average.

I really don't have anything negative to say about our traverse except the gas mileage isnt great when you are comparing it to something smaller. We drive it about 60 miles/day round trip during the week and not much on weekends and fill up roughly once per week. I think its comparable, but maybe a little lower mpg to a minivan. Our other car is a corolla though, so its definitely a guzzler compared to that.

We have a 2011 and have had it for 2 years and no mechanical issues so far. The ride is really smooth, and the third row seat makes it really versatile. We have two kids and may or may not have more, but its still nice to have the third row. We need the extra space when we go to our inlaws for the weekend or on other trips because we have a dog and he needs a full seat. We cannot all fit in the corolla with the dog. Some of the models have captains chairs in the middle but then you lose that 8th seat and its not too inconvenient to slide the middle row seat forward to get in the back row. It will be nice when the kids get a little older and we can fit friends in the car and I also like being able to take one car when we go places with family. I also like having something to haul stuff. We don't use the extra space on  daily basis but we use it enough to justify it in my opinion.
    imageimage
  • I know your DH is against minivans but I would try to talk him into at least taking a look.

I was very anti minivan...hated them and didn't want to be caught dead in one. Silly I know. Anyway, I had planned on getting an SUV with a third row. Did a TON of research and narrowed it down to a few, one of which was the Chevy traverse.

I test drove the Chevy traverse. It was a nice car and was nice to drive. I hated how difficult it was to move the 2nd row and climb into the back. The 3rd row doesn't have that much room either. Overall I didn't love the car.

I also went to Honda and test drove the pilot. It was also nice but I didn't love it. On a whim I decided to check out the Odyssey and I loved it immediately. It was awesome. IMO, none of the 3rd row SUVs come close to the comfort, convenience, or space of a minivan.

Last month we bought the Honda Odyssey and it was the best purchase I've ever made.
    imageimageimageimage
  • I second everything Mags748 said. I drive about 50 miles round trip to work, some of it is in town, some on the highway, I average 18-20 mpg, 23-25 mpg on all highway roadtrips, costs around $60 to completely fill. We only have 1 kid and a large dog, but definitely nice when we go somewhere with the whole family (fits 6 very comfortably, I wouldn't put more than 2 adults in the 3rd row though).

I want to add that it depends where you live, too. Our winters are brutal, and our snow drifts like crazy, my Traverse blows through them like nothing (AWD). I can't imagine trying to take a low to the ground, FWD minivan through some of the stuff I've gone through with my Traverse. I had a car before, and I would have to take vacation days just because I couldn't get to work, I didn't have that problem at all last year, and we had one of the worst years for storms.

My sister-in-law has the Equinox, and loves it. If you will just have the 2 kids, and no large dog or need to haul other people, I would look into that. It has a ton of room for all the things, just not the seats :)

• Thanks, all.  We already have the 2010 Chevy Equinox and love it.  We just need more room.  Especially since we do a lot of road trips and family outings with the in laws.  Would be nice to just take the one car. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"