Special Needs
Options

Quick speech question...

I have a four year old in my prek class who cannot form the /c/ or hard /g/ sound and instead replaces the sound with a /d/ sound. For example, the word "cow" becomes "dow" and the word "get" becomes "det", etc.

I have never encountered this particular substitution before. There will be a speech therapist coming to do evaluations soon and I am trying to decide which of my students may need the evaluation so I can talk to their parents beforehand.Is this substitution something I should be concerned about or is it something developmentally appropriate that he will most likely grow out of? Thanks!

image image

Re: Quick speech question...

• Options
    The d/g is a common substitution, but usually kids grow out of it by about 3 years of age. The d/k is a little more concerning. Can't hurt to have it checked out- the SLP should be able to tell pretty quickly whether the student needs formal therapy.
  • Options
    Having the therapist do an eval wouldn't hurt. But also check with the parents. Do they use baby talk when they speak with the child. I had a K, I thought might have a problem (folder became shoulder). Turns out they baby talked to her. Once I asked them to speak with her correctly, after a few months the lisp went away.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    d/k and g are typical substitutions for those sounds.  But usually by 4 they've out grown them.  I would want the SLP to take a quick look at him, but also not be surprised if she thinks it's typical development.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"