February 2013 Moms
Options

Need a debate settled!

So DH and I need an wee morning hours debate settled. Jackson woke up at his new normal of between 2 and 3. I went in and let him lie down with us for a little, because he has a cold and I wanted to listen to him breathe for a bit. While in there, he crawled on me and said, "mama.'So, being the rational person I am, I freaked out. DH told me he didn't do it on purpose. A few minutes later LO was crawling all over me and said it again. DH maintains he is just making new vocal sounds. I insist I beat him in the first word race. Anyone else have a little one that called for a parent "purposefully" at 8 months??

Re: Need a debate settled!

• Options
    I've had babies say their first word early (7-8 months) and people have told me there is no way that it was intentional.  Yet, it always happened when either DH or I walked into the room, so we just knew it was.

Unfortunately, all of my babies have said Da-Da first.  I just tell DH it is an easier sound to say and means nothing :P

• Options
    Mine is saying dada but he doesn't associate it with his daddy.  I give DH a hard time though because the only time we hear it is when he is mad and then he is screaming dada.  If he gets really really mad then nana comes out.
    Samuel  2.26.06 41w ASD/ADHD
    Eli  6.18.09 35.5w
    Silas  1.25.13 35.4w 10 days NICU, allergies/asthma, gluten intolerant

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Interesting, though, that your LOs are saying dada as practice sounds. In Germany, dads are called "papa," and both of our girls have said "papapapa" as their consonant babbles.

BFP1: DD1 born April 2011 at 34w1d via unplanned c/s due to HELLP, DVT 1 week PP
    BFP2: 3/18/12, blighted ovum, natural m/c @ 7w4d
    BFP3: DD2 born Feb 2013 at 38w4d via unplanned RCS due to uterine dehiscence

• Options
    I have no idea but it sounds purposeful to me! How exciting!

View Full Size Image    View Full Size Image

• Options
    IMO, it is on purpose. Dd was 7 months old, playing with my phone and said ditty while looking at a cat. We looked at several animals, came back to e cat, and again she said ditty. DS has said mum mum several times when I left the room. He also consistently says I bu bu when hungry.
  • Options
    octobermama87octobermama87 member
    edited September 2013
    E says "ma ma" all. The. Time. And I love it every time I hear it!!! I think it's on purpose now bc he'll say it while looking at me or even if someone else is holding him and he's reaching for me and saying "ma ma" at the same time. Yey!

imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary

• Options
    I say yes. Dd started with the mamama sound at 5 months. By the time she hit 6 months she knew what she was saying. Only saying Mama and it was when she saw me or needed me. Just last night she say her Daddy and said Dada. We thought fluke. Now every time he walks into the room she says Dada! I was shocked how early she said our names. Thinking no way, babies don't talk this early! She sure did. Ds was 8 months before he said mama.
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
  • Options
    Seeing as how babies as early as 6 months can sign, I'd say it is definitely possible that it's intentional!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"