Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months

Toddler Milestones or not?

DS is going on 14 months old.  I can find a lot on what milestone he should do by 12 months but hard finding ones for toddlers...like eating with silverware, speech and things like that.

He has never wanted to sit still and do sitting type things.  He has never rolled a ball and won't throw things.  He will bring them back for you to throw to him and then run to a distant spot for you!  He has never clapped, he doesn't wave unless you get him started then its really a half hearted thing though he will HIGH 5.  He will reach towards people leaving and reach out to touch someone saying hello...but he doesn't acknowledge the action and looks confused if you try to push it.  He will run towards family or familiar friends when they enter and cries when they leave. 

He plays peek a boo around objects like chairs or his crib but he won't cover his eyes then uncover.

He can feed himself finger foods and can use 2 types of sippy cups. He will hold and eat whole fruits. He does recognize words and phrases, he babbles a LOT at home and does have a few words like neiche, banana, dada and mamma.  But the last 2 have no connection to him.  He says them but doesn't know what they mean.

He's very quiet when we are out, always looking at things.  Studying them. You can see the wheels turning.

I'm just wondering besides the little blurb they give you under the 14 month tab, where can you find a good list of things he should be doing, so when we are at the doctors next month I can mention things I think may be off.  Otherwise I might just not ask thinking he's not there yet and not realize he might have missed something.

Re: Toddler Milestones or not?

• at DS's 15 month visit the Dr. asked if he knows his body parts, if he points to things, if he responds to what we point to or his name, and if he uses utensils, I feel like clapping and waving came up, but that may have been at 12 months, he also wanted to know how many words he says (about 10).  I'm sure if you google 14 month milestones you'll find a list.
  • Thanks, I was hitting lists that were very broad based, like 12-24 months or 13-18 months without a real breakdown of things.  I did finally come across 2 that were more helpful.  It just seems like he's all over the board!
  • Loading the player...
  • Yeah, at my son's appointment, he was also about 15 months, my pediatrician asked pretty vague questions. Can he point to body parts, does he run, does he play, things like that. She said at our two year evaluation we'll go more in depth. She gave me a long list of things to look for. I think you know your kid and you'll know if there's something up. I know my son is 22 months, and he knows about 10 animals and they're sounds, recognizes a star, wants to sit with books, both by himself and mommy and/or daddy, runs, kicks, throws a ball, and is talking rather well. These were all things on the 2 year list. Don't worry about it too much. I know I was super worried about E's speech and was considering a therapist and the all of a sudden one day he just started talking, and hasn't stopped.
    April's TTGP Siggy Challenge: Favorite Superhero
    SuperMan!
  • Thanks everyone.  I appreciate the comments.  Its just so long between visits and it worries me trying to figure out what he should and shouldn't be doing.  They should come with manuals!  DS is my first and we don't have anyone else we are close with that have babies so I don't have a lot to compare to.  So when we do get together with other kids and I look at what they can do around his age, I worry.  In some things he's so far above them and others he's behind.  Plus when we are in public he's a lot less himself so that also affects how he compares. 

And I worry I am not offering him the right encouragements to develop skills.  I didn't realize he should know body parts.

I think really he is on the right track and is just developing at his pace.  It helps to hear from others what their kids are doing.

• doggie mamadoggie mama member
    edited September 2013
    My DD says a number of words, including our dogs names, hi, bye, happy, and doggie but she very rarely says momma or daddy. Since my husband passed away, I don't think she hears the last two often enough. Although last night she said Daddy a bunch of times while looking at his picture and boom stopped when I got the camera! So the first two words she's supposed to have down, she doesn't. But she can say A,B,C, D, E and has always held books upright the proper way. If my kid didn't clap but gave high fives I wouldn't worry. High fives take more thought and understanding anyway; and maybe he's just not into clapping. Peekaboo with objects also seems way more complex than just using a cover.

TTC since October 2009
    2 failed IUIs with Clomid
    IVF #1, ER 10/29/2011
    ET 11/3/2011
    One embryo transferred, four frozen
    11/12/2011, BFP, 11/13/2011, BFP, 11/14/2011, BFP
    First Beta 11/14/2011, 499
    Second Beta 11/16/2011, 893
    Third Beta 11/18/2011, 1510

Lost my dear husband, October 3, 2012. You are the bear of my heart dear, and nothing can take that away.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"