High-Risk Pregnancy

Stress Test

Should've posted this here first instead of Pregnancy after 35. Who has had a stress test? How did you do? Not sure of the ins and outs.

Re: Stress Test

• Stress test? I've only had non-stress tests (NSTs). Curious - why would this be ordered?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well I'm 38 with high blood pressure. My heart rate was 145 at my prenatal appointment and jumped to 160 at the ER. But after being there for four hours under observation, my heart rate went to the ranges of 100-120 and my pressure was even good. Been home and my pressure is great and heart rate is like 96-102. The ER doctor said he believes a lot is panic disorder, which I've been suffering with for over a year now. The baby looks good but she's already over 5 lbs, and I'm just 32 weeks today. I do have big babies. So I guess it's all precautionary but freaking me out. I'm giving myself headaches.
  • Loading the player...
  • So are you having a cardiac stress test?  Or do you mean a non stress test (NST) to monitor baby?  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • They never stated what kind it is. I had some testing done at the ER and it was all normal. My OB/GYN said she wanted me to have a stress test and that was it.
  • Based on your original post, I would guess it is a cardiac stress test for YOU.  They didn't say they would be monitoring baby?  It's pretty confusing.  I would definitely call and ask exactly what they are having you do and have them explain the test and what it consists of.  A cardiac stress test will consist of monitoring your heart using attached electrodes while you do some sort of physical exercise (usually treadmill).  A non stress test means you would have a fetal doppler strapped to your abdomen for a certain amount of time ( usually anywhere from 30min-2 hours, depending on what they want) to monitor baby's heart rate.  
    ~Married my best friend 06/27/2010~ ~Miscarriage July 2010~ ~Hannah Leigh born 07/26/2011 (5 weeks early) @ 8:38am 4lbs 15oz~
    imageimage
  • I'm going to give them a call first thing Monday. I have to go to the OB/GYN for the stress test, and I guess I find it strange they would do a cardiac stress test there. My baby has also turned to the breech position so I'm not sure if that's a factor or not. This is my fourth pregnancy but I feel like it's my first.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"