High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Ladies on Insulin

I'm a T2 diabetic on Insulin from very early in my pg. I'm going on the pump in a few weeks (scheduling at the Dr's office got messed up, my endo wanted it a bit sooner just so it could be easier on me), but have a random question about injections with a pen/syringe.

What is the general area that you find most comfortable for your injections? I think I remember some ladies say that on stretch marks hurt less? I tried it once and was not a fan, but I'm finding myself to be really sensitive the last few days. Last pg I was using syringes and did my thigh (mainly because I didn't start insulin until later in my pg and DD was always kicking and I was paranoid about her kicking while I was injecting and scaring myself. Recovering needle-phobe here), this time I'm using 4mm needles and pens.

I tried upper stomach, about 2" above my belly button to the side, and it hurt like a motherfucker! I am trying to avoid some parts of my lower stomach because of some bruises from earlier injections, and just looking for some advice, even if its just commiserating that sometimes these things just pinch a bit and it sucks lol.

My doctor said anywhere on the side of the stomach is fine, but how far might be too far? Its not terribly urgent and worth a call, I'm just curious.
imageimage

Re: Ladies on Insulin

• Options
    I think they told me 2" from your belly button, but that's from the last time I was pregnant. I didn't get a whole lot of direction this time because I was pregnant less than a year ago. I find that the lower part of my stomach is much less sensitive. I can't stand doing it in my thigh it burns to much. I've also found that if I kind of scratch around the injection site as I inject it doesn't sting nearly as bad. Stretch marks were better for me too. Maybe you hit a bad spot the last time? Honestly my needles are so small now I can hardly feel them. They have me using the BD nano needles. I'm not sure how long they are, but I'm pretty sure it's shorter than 4mm. Maybe see about getting a shorter needle?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

imageimage

• Options
    ajsweeton said:
    I think they told me 2" from your belly button, but that's from the last time I was pregnant. I didn't get a whole lot of direction this time because I was pregnant less than a year ago. I find that the lower part of my stomach is much less sensitive. I can't stand doing it in my thigh it burns to much. I've also found that if I kind of scratch around the injection site as I inject it doesn't sting nearly as bad. Stretch marks were better for me too. Maybe you hit a bad spot the last time? Honestly my needles are so small now I can hardly feel them. They have me using the BD nano needles. I'm not sure how long they are, but I'm pretty sure it's shorter than 4mm. Maybe see about getting a shorter needle?
    Same with me, my endo told the nurse "She knows how to inject with a syringe, just teach her how to prime the pen. She is a pro." I love his confidence in me, but I feel rusty lol. I don't think we're going to switch the needles at this point because I'll be on the pump in about 3 weeks and this way my insurance company doesn't have a hissy fit with me having so many different supplies. They only do the needles in 100 piece batches.

Will definitely try some stretch marks! No lack of those lol
    imageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I am a severe needle phobe and just got approval from my doctor to have my husband give them in the back of my arm. So much better.
    I always liked giving it to myself, this way there was no surprise.

Also, I have to do at least 3 injections when I am home alone and don't think my 17 month old DD is quite there yet ;) Although she does try to help!
    imageimage
  • Options
    AMK1981 said:

T1 diabetic here.. I was on the pen before switching to the pump.

I used my belly and avoided any parts I could see veins.  Since you have a growing belly, use your abdomen on the sides (That's where I put my pump now).

Another huge help is to make sure the area is well moisturized.  Dry skin is waaay more painful to inject in.

I never liked using arms or legs.

Good to know about the dry skin! Right now I'm doing okay on that front, but my last pg it got BAD, especially in the cold weather.
    imageimage
  • Options
    Definitely second not injecting into dry skin, but I was also told not to inject with lotion on my skin, so make sure you're moisturizing well enough before you need to inject. I tend to choose a spot on my lower belly that has some "fluff" there and it hurts a little less. And you probably know this, but make sure you're switching sides often enough. I'm right handed so tend to inject on the right, I had to make a conscious effort to do the left side at least once a day.
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Another Type 1 here.  When I was on injections, I did the belly.  

I noticed I didn't have as good absorption on the thighs.

You're going to love the pump.   My favorite sites for that are the belly and upper butt/back of the hip/love handles area.  Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.  I've been a pumper for 12+ years.  What one are you getting?
  • Options
    obxlaurak said:
    Another Type 1 here.  When I was on injections, I did the belly.  

I noticed I didn't have as good absorption on the thighs.

You're going to love the pump.   My favorite sites for that are the belly and upper butt/back of the hip/love handles area.  Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions.  I've been a pumper for 12+ years.  What one are you getting?
    A medtronic with silhouettes. I've heard they are not the smallest ones, but probably the best to use as my belly grows.

I am also possibly using a glucose sensor, but have to say that it scares the crap out of me at this point. It is such a bigger gauge!  That and I'll still have to test ~7x/day anyway. My endo is really cool about it and said that he totally understands if I don't want to use it right away. He thinks it is "barbaric" looking (He is actually a T1 and uses the sensor and a medtronic, which I really appreciate. He is talking from experience and I can ask him as one diabetic to another) and said he wants me to adjust to one new technology at a time anyway.

I do not think I'll use the pump after I give birth since I was doing pretty okay with just metformin for a non-pregnant diabetic, but it is looking like I'll need insulin in my future at some point. Last pg I was up to over 70 units a day and was in the hospital for about 5 days to do adjustment, so my endo said hopefully we can avoid the hospital and keep better control with the pump.
    imageimage
  • Options
    I used to use the medtronic pump with silhouettes.  They are really comfortable and the insertion was actually more comfortable than my current pump/infusion sets (Animas Ping/Inset).

I don't know much about the medtronic CGM but have heard the inserter referred to as a "harpoon".  I am on the Dexcom CGM and it's not bad at all.  I've heard/read that the Dexcom is more accurate than the medtronic.  

Good luck!  
  • Options
    obxlaurak said:
    I used to use the medtronic pump with silhouettes.  They are really comfortable and the insertion was actually more comfortable than my current pump/infusion sets (Animas Ping/Inset).

I don't know much about the medtronic CGM but have heard the inserter referred to as a "harpoon".  I am on the Dexcom CGM and it's not bad at all.  I've heard/read that the Dexcom is more accurate than the medtronic.  

Good luck!  
    I call the inserter the claw of doom. It looks like that.

Thanks for the luck :)
    imageimage
  • Options
    Type 1 diabetic lurking a little, I would suggest maybe the back of the arm but you don't have to have someone do it for you... if you use a table you can place your arm on it and roll it slightly to create a fat roll to inject in to. I wear my pump on my arm now but used to inject there a lot before the pump. I also suggest the dexcom.... the needle isn't bad at all and once its in you go for a week barely noticing its there.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Great topic!  I have been injecting into my side- I guess where the love handles would be.  I'm carrying a bit differently this time around so I'm having a harder time seeing what I'm doing half the time. With my first, I did notice that I had some irritation or something where I was injecting and it's happening again.  I'll have to try and be good about putting on lotion every morning and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Options
    Great topic!  I have been injecting into my side- I guess where the love handles would be.  I'm carrying a bit differently this time around so I'm having a harder time seeing what I'm doing half the time. With my first, I did notice that I had some irritation or something where I was injecting and it's happening again.  I'll have to try and be good about putting on lotion every morning and see if that helps. Thanks for the suggestions.
    I got majorly dry skin where I was injecting last time and it itched like CRAZY! I never fully figured out a solution. Lotion helped a tiny bit, but it still drove me slightly insane.

I totally forgot about that... damn.

So far this time around I'm not having that, but my stomach is a lot bigger than the area they wanted me injecting on my thighs and I have more space to rotate.

I've been finding the stretch marks to be less painful now! Thanks, ajsweeton!
    imageimage
  • Options
    i have a pump now but when I used to take shots I preferred to take them in the lower half of my butt, the other plus is that no one can see it if you bruise!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"