Working Moms
Options

career change (moving) with a new baby?

My DH and I are both somewhat unhappy with our jobs at this point in our lives. We have similar careers in design but with different companies and we've both been out of college for 5 years. I feel like we are pretty lucky to both have jobs in our field close by our house, however, we both feel bored with our current positions and personally my relationship with my manager is almost non-existant. Unfortunately our careers are based around manufacturing and other than where we currently work, there aren't many options in the area that we can apply for. With our DS born only 2 months ago we have decided to try to just stick it out for a couple months until the end of the year to reevaluate our career path and what we want out of life. We own a home and live about an hour from my family. I know my family would be devestated if we moved and of course there is the headache of having to sell our house. Outside of work we are both very happy, so we're both trying decide if it's worth it to look for new jobs and move. Has anyone chosen a new career path, or moved a significant distance after having a new baby? Do you regret it? Or, how do you stick it out in a job you don't particularly like because everything outside of work is great?

Re: career change (moving) with a new baby?

• Options
    We are not happy where we live now, we live 4 hours away from all of our family etc. We will be moving with a baby, either I'm moving for a few months alone until dh can come with us since is on contract.
    I would say move if you will still have all the support you need to adjust
  • Options
    We moved 900 miles away from friends and family so DH could pursue his dream job.

It's been good and bad. The good news is we got what we came for; DH is kicking ass here. It's the sort of resume-building opportunity that we can leverage into something closer to home one day if we wanted to. The money is good and we enjoy an easy, comfortable life.

The bad is that work isn't everything and sometimes I do feel homesick. Very homesick. But, inevitably, we also started setting down roots here (good! but ...) which might make it harder to disentangle and move back. I've taken 11 round-trip flights in the past 12 months, more than half to see friends and family. My 2 year old has more frequent flyer miles than many adults.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It doesn't hurt to look and see what's out there. You can weigh your options if something more permanent is offered to you. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We moved across the country 10 days after my 3rd baby was born. We moved to a city where we literally knew no one and our families were left behind 1000's of miles away. It sounds crazy, but I was starting a new job and wanted to settle into our new home and community while taking time off after the baby. It was the right decision for us and allowed us time to cocoon as a family while figuring out where the grocery store was...

That was 3 years ago. It was quite an adventure for us. The move really pulled my husband and I together as we had to forge a new path in all aspects of our lives. It did take time for us to form real friendships, but we have found other people we enjoy spending time with. My job is fantastic, but as my kids are approaching school age we have found the community resources (school options/ extra-curriculars) a bit lacking. We are actually contemplating pulling up stakes and moving again to a bigger city in the coming year. As we are considering all of this, I also happen to be expecting our 4th baby. If I can secure a new position, we might move again right after baby. I didn't mind the upheaval last time. It seems each family recreates itself with the addition of a new member anyway...I think that if you have an adventurous spirit moving right after a new baby can work out just fine.
  • Options
    I second the PP who said it really depends on how much you value your extended family and how much help they offer. DH and I moved back to DH's home city (big city) after I graduated law school so we sort of had an established network to begin with. It was good for us. However, after I had DS, I really struggled with taking care of him, having a career and still have some semblance of a social life. Luckily, my parents decided to move here so now they are only a few blocks away.

I recently got offered my dream job, but it's overseas. After much deliberation, I decided not to take it because I really don't want to be without a strong family support system when DS is still so little.
  • Options
    I would say look and see what is out there.  If an opportunity presents itself, you can make a decision then about whether or not to move.

I do think a lot depends on your support system and how much you rely on them.  For example, all of my immediate family and DH's immediate family live within 30 minutes of us.  They are all close to our kids and jump at the chance to help us.  We are incredibly lucky.  I think having three small kids with two working parents would be much more difficult if we moved away from everyone.

It really depends on what you need to make you happy, and if you would be willing to give up other things to make it happen.
  • Options
    I have enjoyed my job for years. However, once my LO was born earlier this year, I wanted nothing to do with leaving her everyday. DH stays home with her during the week while I work, and he works on the weekends. We could definitely use more cash. I've recently started an at-home business and I'm hoping it takes off! I want to leave my job and stay home, but it isn't feasible without my income. My cousin is doing the business as well, and for the same reasons. She has already matched her salary in only 6 weeks and will be staying home once she has LO #2 in a few weeks. This is my goal!
    image BabyFetus Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I agree with PP that everything is probably different when you have 2+ kids. Then you REALLY need a support system and grandparents are very valuable. Another thing to add is that my brother and SIL just had a baby boy also and they only live 20 minutes away so we see them quite a bit. Everyone is excited for the boys to "grow up together" so we'll see how that works out....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"