Babies: 3 - 6 Months

Pumping

I feel like it takes me FOREVER to pump and get any milk. Maybe I just think it's worse than it is.. 

But it takes me like 30 - 40 mins to get 4 ounces. 

Anyone else take this long? All my friends with babies can't believe it, because they say that it takes them 5 mins to get that much!! What I would give to be able to pump that fast! 

Maybe my milk supply is low? 

Re: Pumping

• 4 ounces total or per breast? I never pump more than 25min and I get anywhere from 2oz-10oz total. Try not to stress about it because that will affect your supply. Some people respond better to pumps. Also the amount you pump doesn't equal what the baby eats(unless you ep). If your baby has plenty of wet/poopy diapers, I wouldn't worry about your supply.
    BFP#1 6/4/12 EDD 2/10/13 M/C 6/12/12
    BFP#2 9/28/12 EDD 6/5/13 J.B. born 6/6/13

Anniversary

• That's total!!!! 

It's so weird my right breast produces WAY more than my left. It's usually like 3 oz from the right, to 1 oz. from the left. :(

I am a bit concerned because this last dr. appt. a few days ago I took my girl to get her zantac dose adjusted (she has reflux). Up to this point she'd be steadily gaining, but now she dropped off.. she hasn't even gained 1 pound and it's been almost 2 months... I'm really worried actually.

My mom couldn't even BF her first baby.. and with my other brother and I, her milk dried up at 5 months.. i'm wondering if that could be hereditary and i'm having milk issues?

I just don't know :/ 
  • Loading the player...
  • amberdt03amberdt03 member
    edited September 2013
    It's perfectly normal for one boob to produce more. I don't think your mom's inability to bf has any effect on you. I commented on your other post about the weight gain. I read that weight gain slows down around 4 months. So as long as she is gaining weight and has plenty of wet/dirty diapers in a day, then your supply is fine.

Edit:spelling

Anniversary

• https://www.thealphaparent.com/2011/12/timeline-of-breastfed-baby.html?m=1

This has been a life saver for me. Hope it helps. Also check out kellymom.com

Anniversary

• Hmm I didn't know that they started to slow in weight gain after 4 months!!! Thanks for telling me that. I have just been so stressed because I don't know what to do. I considered weaning, but still really do want to BF. I have been adding a tiny bit of formula to her breastmilk bottles to add more calories, plus to get her used to the taste of formula a little bit at a time, so that when the time comes that I do wean, the transition might be easier?

I just worry because of her last appt. and everyone ALWAYS says "wow she's soooo tiny". I probably hear that at least twice a week. I shouldn't let it affect me but it just makes me worry that she isn't getting enough!

Thanks for that link! I loved it!! It has so much information!! 
  • Some babies are just tiny. Try not to worry(easier said than done) and know however you feed your child is the right way!

Anniversary

• I am now pumping since I have gone back to work. I pump for about 25 min and get about 3-3.5 oz. Its so frusterating. I can only now get 2 feedings for my baby within an 8 hour period. So I am giving her 2 breastmilk feeds and one formula. Ugh!! 
  • Don't judge your supply based on pump output. Baby is much more effiecient than the pump. Make sure lo is having plenty of wet diapers and isn't screaming hungry all the time. I usually pump for 20 mins and get 4oz total, but that will fluctuate based on time day.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers 
  • My left side gives me double of what the right side gives me which is normal i think. 
    Is your pump working properly?  Are putting the suction tubes in all the way? Nothing should be obstructing your breast and the flanges...

Im assuming you prob know all this but just incase..

GL
  • steelerbaby29steelerbaby29 member
    edited November 2013

It has always been normal for me to only get 4 ounces total out of a 25-30 minute pumping session. After 2 months we had breastfeeding issues, so since then I have been strictly pumping and mixing my pumped milk with formula in a bottle. I get so jealous of people who can get double what I get in less time. I have noticed that when I slack on drinking water during the day and not making wise food choices my milk supply can be even less.

I have struggled with my low milk supply and got pretty depressed over it for awhile. Just remember that some breast milk is better than none. Stay positive and feel free to message me if you ever need to talk because I know exactly how you feel.

• Lurker here.

Are you sure your pump is in good shape? 

Also, I bought pumpin' pals and have seen a difference. I'm also taking reglan, fenugreek, and brewer's yeast. I've heard a lot of great things about DomP, too.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• takes me about 25 min to get that much... try looking at pics of baby and consider a larger size for the flanges. 
  • Eating oatmeal every morning helped me
    TTC Since Aug 2010 Started with RE May 2012 HSG clear Tests normal - PCOS IUI#1 - BFN IUI#2 - 7/7/12 BFP Determined Ectopic at 7 weeks - 2 shots MTX finally hit zero 10/2/12 IUI#3 - 11/6/12 - BFN IUI#4 - scheduled for 12/7/12 - Clomid increased to 150mg IUI #5 - 1/4/13 first injectable cycle- BFP 12dpo EDD 9/28/13 Unassisted pregnancy due 1/5/16 - we were going to go back to fertility the following month Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} BabyFruit Ticker}
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"