Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

XP from 6-9: Help with hearing concerns

Dd is about to be 9 months old, though was born a month early so for development we go by adjusted age which would be 8 months. She 'talks' nonstop, mostly yelling and squealing at us with tons of blowing raspberries. She still does not babble consonants at all. We heard a very distinct 'ga' sound yesterday, but that's really it. Anyhow, my bigger concern is that she absolutely does not turn to voices. I have seen her startle to some sounds and turn to some others, so I know she can hear at least some things, but she just never turns to voices. Now, our house is loud and she is in daycare all day, so it is possible she ignores many sounds. However, when I go to pick her up at daycare, I will say her name over and over and over and still nothing, and at this point, every other baby in the room is looking at me. Of course, when she finally sees me she gets super excited and squeals, but she completely didn't hear me before that. When she was born, she failed the hearing screen (so did my son who has perfect hearing), but we did that follow-up one where they hooked her up to a computer and she passed. Any thoughts or experiences here? TIA! 
imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers

Re: XP from 6-9: Help with hearing concerns

• Options
    I agree with the PP and would talk to her pedi. Even if it turns out to be something minor I would think it would be better to get answers sooner rather than later. GL!
  • Options
    Thanks ladies. I scheduled an apt with audiology for a few weeks from now and also went to the ped just to make sure her eardrums looked ok (they did) and there wasn't some major wax build-up (a little, but not tons).
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My DD went through a phase where she would not turn and look at me when I called her, I brought it up to her pedi and she said it could be that she is concentrating so hard on learning new things that she is ignoring me (the pedi did not say ignore, but that is the best way I can describe it).  For a few weeks I ran around the house like a mad woman making loud noises to see if she would turn and look.  She grew out of it and responds to everything now.  Has your LO never responded or is this a recent thing?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My DD went through a phase where she would not turn and look at me when I called her, I brought it up to her pedi and she said it could be that she is concentrating so hard on learning new things that she is ignoring me (the pedi did not say ignore, but that is the best way I can describe it).  For a few weeks I ran around the house like a mad woman making loud noises to see if she would turn and look.  She grew out of it and responds to everything now.  Has your LO never responded or is this a recent thing?
    She's definitely been doing this for a while, but she also has startled to sounds and has turned to some sounds. She does seem to focus very hard and ignores many loud sounds because we have a 2 year old who is very loud, but it still is concerning us how much she doesn't seem to hear us when we call her. I have to wait 2 weeks for the audiology apt and will try to stop going crazy testing my poor little girl in the mean time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"