Multiples
Options

Nervous about shortening cervix

I know quite a few ladies have been or is going through this situation, and was wondering if anyone had any advice or thoughts.

I am 20 weeks 5 days with di/di boys, and my cervix has been shortening over the last 4 weeks.

-At 16 weeks it was 3.2, and they said take it easy and come back in two weeks.

-18 weeks it was 2.1 and funneling, and they said basically light bed rest and we'll check it again in a week, and possibly discuss cerclage.

-19 weeks no change, still 2.1, so come back in a week and check.

-As of yesterday, it is now at 1.0. I was hooked up to make sure I wasn't having contractions, and I wasn't, so that's good. My perinatologist seems to be somewhat against cerclage, because of the fact that studies have shown for it to be not as successful for twins, so she's worried about the risks of complications, but wants us to think it over and decide what we should do. We also talked about hospital bed rest, and strict bed rest at home. I also saw some info about a pessary, but she didn't mention that, so I'd like to bring that up as an option.

I go back tomorrow morning for another check and to make a decision about what we're going to do. So my husband and I have to talk about it tonight and decide what's right for us.

What would you do, or have you done in a similar situation?
Thanks!
**Blog**
*TTC #1* since Sept '11.
BFP #1 2/26/12. C/P 3/1/12 
Dx Oct '12: Hypothyroid, PCOS and blocked left tube.
1500mg Metformin, 75mcg Synthroid
Feb: 100mg Clomid + Trigger + TI= BFN
March: 150mg Clomid + Trigger + TI= 4 mature follies- BFN 
April: Unmedicated cycle due to vacation timing= BFN
May: *IUI #1* Letrozole + Trigger + IUI=BFP!
1st Beta (17dpo): 455  Progesterone: 40
2nd Beta: (19dpo):  810  Progesterone: 37
1st ultrasound 6 weeks 5 days: Twins!

Re: Nervous about shortening cervix

• Options
    I'm sorry and it is scary. I don't have an answer for you but just make sure you ask all the questions and ask specifically about the risks of cerclage. Many times risks are worth the benefits.

Good luck.

D & L are here at 34 weeks 4 days by vaginal and breech delivery on 11/19/2013
    Two healthy boys weighing 4 lbs 15 ozs and 4 lbs 5 ozs.  Only 6 days in the NICU and getting bigger, stronger and cuter every day! 
  • Options
    Thank you for your response! We will definitely ask all the questions.
    **Blog**
    *TTC #1* since Sept '11.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    i don't have experience but i'm sorry you are going through this.  my MFM doesn't believe in cerclages helping either which i don't agree with.  how could it not?  but i would ask about supplementing with progesterone to see if that would help?  lots of luck to you! 
    Me (37) DH (39); PCOS changed to Unexplained, changed to DOR in 2012 (finally a correct diagnosis!); 
    Started TTC 2009 with RE after 6 months.  
    Clomid + Trigger x2; 
    IUI + Femara x1,
    IUI + Follistim x2;
    IVF #1 (MDL) February 2013- BFN.
    IVF #2 (antagonist) May 2013, First BFP of my life. 
    Identical twin miracle BOYS (!!) headed our way- due date is technically 2/4/14 but c section is scheduled for 1/7! 

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • Options
    I personally think the risks of a cerclage may outway the benefits. Like PP said, talk about this extensively with your doc! I had never heard of a pessary but after looking into it, it might be a good option! Bed rest worked very well for me, I was at 1.6 and held strong in the hospital and left at a 1.7!! Good luck!!

imageimage

• Options
    No personal advice, but a friend of mine went through this and was on strict bed rest until 24 weeks then hospital bed rest until her twins were born. They are 2 months now and doing great. She didn't get a cerclage. I'm sorry you are going through this. Wishing you luck and sending positive thoughts your way.
  • Options

I was put on hospital bedrest at 24 weeks for cervical length of 1.0.  Because of my contractions the doctors were convinced I would deliver within the week.  I was given the option of a cerclage but was advised that research shows it doesn't help with twins and was also told there was a 10% chance it would puncture the sac and trigger labor.  My husband and I agreed to opt out of the cerclage and hope for the best.

A few days after being checked in my cervical length was 0 and I was starting to dilate.  I put myself in trendelenburg, which is a drastic action that the doctors told me wouldn't help.  I ignored them and did it anyway because I was desperate to do anything that could help.  The doctors were shocked when I made it another 6.5 weeks.  I have two healthy girls that are now home and thriving.

Trust your instincts every step of the way.  There were 5 separate occasions where I disagreed with a doctor's advice and I always ended up being right.  I'm not saying don't take the medical advice you are given, but if something doesn't feel right be sure to ask a lot of questions and push them to explain every option. 

Good luck!

Me:26 DH:30

Dx: Severe MFI, 0% morphology, doc says we will be lucky to get 10% fert rate

IVF w/ICSI #1: 6R, 4M, 0 fertilized Switching docs, looking for clinic that will provide new treatment for DH's rare dx.

IVF w/ICSI + CaI #2: 11R, 9M, 6 fertilized!!! Transferred 2 5-day blasts, 1 frozen.

12/26: BFP!! It's Twins!

• Options
    Thanks everyone! We will definitely be discussing the risks and options in detail with the doctor. I did forget to mention that I was put on progesterone suppositories two weeks ago when we saw that it dropped to 2.1.

She did say that if this was 5 years ago, then we definitely would have done the cerclage, but since then, there have been many studies to show that it hasn't been very successful with twins,so I think she's just concerned about the risks of causing contractions, infections, rupturing membranes etc.. So it is a very scary decision that my husband and I have to decide on.
    **Blog**
    *TTC #1* since Sept '11.

• Options
    I was put on home bedrest at 23 weeks, then went to the hospital at 24 weeks when my cervix measured 1.5. I was released this week with my cervix measuring .7 at 33 weeks. That was my last cervical measurement.

I used progesterone suppositories. My MFM's practice was against a cerclage as it has too many risks for multiples. One of my MFMs suggested a pessary if I dropped below .5. I did go into the Trendelenberg position(they just tip the hospital bed to have your feet higher than head - not a huge angle), but that was to help alleviate pain from having a really low lying baby in my pelvis.

Good luck.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    McsweetsMcsweets member
    edited September 2013
    My cousin had twins and story is almost the same as yours - was at 1 @ 21 weeks - they put her on strict bedrest and she ended up carrying the twins full term.  They're adorable little girls now! 

I'm in the short-cervix scare with you as well - from what I've read, it's not uncommon - and although dangerous, good that they're monitoring you closely.

Edit: She did not have a cerclage.
    1st FET 2/14/2013 Happy Valentines Day! - BFN
    2nd FET 6/14/2013
    - BPF!!! -
    1st Beta:
    1046!!!!! - 2nd Beta: 2754!!!!!
    First u/s 7/11/2013 - TWINS!!! 120 and 124 heartbeats <3
    Second u/s
    7/29/2013 - wiggley babies! 178 and 184 heartbeats!
    Third u/s
    9/9/2013 - 157 and 161 heartbeats ... a BOY and a GIRL!!!! Cervix on the "shorter side" (3-3.3) - going to check again in 2 weeks.
    Fourth u/s 9/23/2013 - Baby A = 157 Baby B = 150 heartbeat. Cervix now 2.3-2.6 ... being referred to a MFM
    MFM Appointment 9/26/2013 = Both babies healthy, cervix now measuring at 4 - Playing tricks on me ... will follow up in 2 weeks.
    Cervical check 10/7 with regular OB - 2.1cm  --- going BACK to the MFM armed with ultrasound pictures from my OB of my cervix. *sigh*
    MFM Appointment 10/8 - confirmed my cervix at 2.1cm - putting me on Progesterone for a week.
    MFM Appointment 10/17 - Cervix unchanged! Keeping me on Progesterone - followup 10/29

photo e8294769.jpgphoto 3a44b450.jpg
    imageimageimageimage"">image

Everett Alan James (3lbs8oz) and Eliana Lee (3lbs7oz) born 12/28/13 at 30w6d!
  • Options
    I had a cerclage at 21.6 when my cervix measured 1.68. I stayed on strict br with progesterone suppositories until the day before removal at 36.2. Had them at 36 and 3. When he took the cerclage out I immediately dilated to a 4 and was 90% effaced. The doctor said that we knew it was working!!! BUT there was a friend on here due the day after me and we went on br about the same time, similar measurements, twins, etc. she didn't have a stitch and carried a couple days longer than me. She was on hbr for a short time also. Best wishes to you!! You can do it.

My doc didn't want to do a pessary.
    Married to my dream husband
    Mom to 2 year old BG twins (Incompetant cervix, cerclage, and LOTS of bed rest)
    Pregnant with our next!
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!
    We went into the appt Friday morning agreeing that we would most likely not do the the cerclage, but we got there and it was down to .5. So after discussing it in depth with the doctor, we decided that at this point, we would do the cerclage and hope for the best.

So we quickly got into the o.r. and I got the cerclage placed. So now on bed rest and just hoping my cervix will hold as long as possible. Still nervous, of course, but staying positive!
    **Blog**
    *TTC #1* since Sept '11.

• Options
    I would have done the cerclage if I was given the option during my first pregnancy. I'm glad you got it and it went well and I hope you have many many weeks with those babies in your belly!

Rest as much as you can! I'll keep you in my thoughts.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"