Working Moms

Daycare Question... Need advice Please!!

My daughter has been going to day care for 3 weeks now. She is 4 months old. I was just getting used to the daycare thing and then last Thursday both of her teachers quit on the same day and I feel awful. Is that just normal turnover? Or is that really weird? Also, is it normal to feel this way or is it my intuition that something is wrong? It has been a week since they left and I still feel uneasy. Also, one baby was pulled out of the daycare the day after the teachers quit by his mom. I don't know if its because she felt uneasy or if its completely unrelated. I appreciate any advice. Thanks!!
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Daycare Question... Need advice Please!!

• Turnover is pretty normal.  Is there another reason you're feeling uneasy?  Do you know why both teachers quit at the same time?  Have you spoken with the director about your concerns?
  • financialdivafinancialdiva member
    edited September 2013
    High turnover can be a red flag. I would ask the director immediately for an explanation why the teachers left. If she doesn't give you one, push her harder. Tell her you are a new mom and have no experience with daycares and that you feel uneasy and need more information.

Ask her what the plan for the room is, how they plan to cover their spots in the meantime. Stress your baby needs consistency which is why you are concerned.

It could also definitely be coincidence as well. Push for explanation, keep your eyes open for more turn over, or other issues. It also wouldn't hurt to be proactive and maybe start checking out other facilities.

What else is making you feel uneasy? IME, mommy gut is never wrong.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not sure why I feel so uneasy...She seems happy when I pick her up and drop her off. There was only 1 day that she was crying when I picked her up. One of the teachers quit because she was overwhelmed with work and school not sure about the other one.
  • Turnover at our DC is fairly normal, all of the teachers are required to either have a license (CDA, BA in Education, something related) or be working towards one.  I know one of the teachers in DS' room is working on her BA, when she is done she will be looking for a FT job as an elementary school teacher.  She's great and we'll miss her, but I have faith the Director will replace her with someone just as good - our DC has great teachers.  Some of the teachers have been there for almost 20 years, others (generally the younger ones in my experience) are using DC as experience to get them to the classroom.

If you haven't seen any issues I wouldn't worry too much.  Like one of the previous posters mentioned, there can be lots of reasons why two teachers left at the same time and a parent moved her child the following day.  Unless you started to see a mass exodus of teachers/students or had concerns about your kiddo, I would keep the status quo.
  • I have been in similar situations. Typically, they can't give you detailed information but the director should be trying to reassure you that things are being taken care of. She should be trying to give you confidence in the new caregiver for that class.

So while it sucks, it does happen. How I would react would depend a lot on how the center deals with it.
  • Also, the director has been open with the plan for the room. She has hired someone and until that person starts they have a teacher from another location filling in. The director's 6 month old daughter is also one of the babies in the class so I don't think she would put anyone in there that would mistreat the kids. Am I just freaked out because this daycare situation is so new?
  • jneden said:

Also, the director has been open with the plan for the room. She has hired someone and until that person starts they have a teacher from another location filling in. The director's 6 month old daughter is also one of the babies in the class so I don't think she would put anyone in there that would mistreat the kids. Am I just freaked out because this daycare situation is so new?

Yes, probably. Keep your eyes open but don't panic.

• At LO's center they do 3 infant rooms, 6w-6m, 6m-18m and 18m-2y. Then a toddler room and a pre-k room. I've seen regular turnover in the pre-k room. Two of the infant rooms the teachers have been in for 5+ yrs. The other one the teacher of 20 years left and they had a replacement, but she quit to go back to school, and they haven't found a teacher to fit into that room yet. At that age things that would bother me are 1) is the daily sheet kept up (ins/outs & sleep).2) What is going on in the room when you are there with your child, how is the interactions. 3) the rotation of staff in/out of the room. There should be someone that LO sees on a regular basis
     If something in the room doesn't sit right with you then trust that. You don't know why they quit, it could be they weren't following rules or something like that. Our day care staff isn't allowed to use their cellphones in the room with the kids, they also cannot smoke anywhere on the grounds. I think one of the floaters are our center quiet because of a parent complaining excessively over things that wouldn't bother me
  • Her diaper checks are not as often as when the other 2 teachers were in there. One day it was 2 and a half hours before a diaper check. I called the director to ask her about it and she said the diaper change was noted on the main log just not marked down on the daily sheet. Her diaper didn't seem excessively wet so I think she is telling the truth. Also, yesterday was the first time ever that she didn't finish a bottle. She usually sucks them down in 5 minutes and cries when its gone (every time). So I'm not sure if that change in eating has anything to do with how she's feeling when she's there? The rest of the feedings were fine and I called to check on her today and she finished the bottle so maybe its nothing?
  • I would be concerned.  I would expect the director to personally address each parent about the transition and the plan for consistent care going forward.

DS's two infant teachers had been in the same classroom for 18 years and 8 years, respectively.  To me, that meant 1) they loved babies and 2) the center was was well-run.  Both of those were important for my peace of mind when leaving my baby with them.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Nechie122Nechie122 member
    edited September 2013
    Sometimes it's just coincidence. Our daycare went through a stretch where they could not keep a teacher in the 18-24 month old class. I think they went through three in a row. It was really bizarre but there's been virtually no other turnover in the school. We stuck it out, my LO has long since moved up to the next class, and everything is fine.

It sounds like the director is on top of things. Give it time. I would have felt uneasy if it had happened during my first month, but because it happened during my second year of being a WM, I took it in stride.

I agree with keep an eye on things but no need to panic.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"