Working Moms
Options

not getting the pinterest envy on here...

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited September 2013 in Working Moms
OK so I just have to ask what is up w/ the pinterest envy on here? I have seen several posts this week referring to not having a life like is depicted by others on pinterest--- maybe the ppl you follow on there are different than my friends but no one I know posts photos of things they have personally done/created/taken photos of, they pin pictures of things they'd like to do, or things that have some small piece of inspiration for something they're hoping to do in the future... while I sometimes wonder how people have the time to be on there constantly pinning things, I have not ever felt a sense of inferiority like I cannot compare myself with what they're 'doing' because they're not really doing anything....?  Just b/c I have a board of photos of porches I really like b/c we don't have a deck or porch and I am hoping we will get one in the next year and am collecting some small ideas of things that I like doesn't mean I'm out designing & building a patio in my spare time... just like my friend who pins 8 billion pictures of home decorating ideas is not actually doing all those things in her home, and the person who pins 10 different recipes a day is certainly not cooking all of them....
Sure, some of the photos on there are taken by regular people who blog or whatever, but many of them are also from professional decorating and cooking and crafting websites, and don't forget that there are a decent # of people out there who blog as their job and therefore are taking the photos and pinning, etc as their actual work during the day. 

Am I missing something here? Please please don't feel envious of people on pinterest because they sit on a computer and pin pictures of things they like! It means nothing more than them organizing thoughts and ideas and maybe they'll do some of them sometimes but it certainly doesn't make them some sort of amazing perfect mom/person/homemaker/time balancer/crafter/cook...  It just makes them someone who really really likes pinterest.

Just sayin.

Re: not getting the pinterest envy on here...

• Options
    I am not even on Pinterest and I am not the least bit concerned about those who are.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Options
    Pinterest is great. I see cute stuff that people have made by hand and I look it up on Etsy and buy it. Cute crochet football hat for baby that I saw on Pinterest? DS has one and we got it from Etsy! Cute ruffle pillow case sewing instructions? Now on my bed, courtesy of Etsy:)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't get it either. So what if you want to send in homemade Halloween treats for all the kids in your kids class. Aint nobody got time for that. This mama will be buying something to bring in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    You realize people are not jealous of what others are pinning, right? They are jealous of what others may be doing. No, I don't think my random friend on Pinterest is actually DOING everything she pins, but the fact that you can click and follow it to a blog and see someone's pictures leads to the illusion that someone IS "doing it all." 

"Pinterest worthy" just seems to be used to mean "picture perfect."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    You realize people are not jealous of what others are pinning, right? They are jealous of what others may be doing. No, I don't think my random friend on Pinterest is actually DOING everything she pins, but the fact that you can click and follow it to a blog and see someone's pictures leads to the illusion that someone IS "doing it all." 

"Pinterest worthy" just seems to be used to mean "picture perfect."
    No I still don't get that. How does pinning= doing? I get the FB envy concept but pins are just pins. Why would one compare themselves to that pin? So what you're saying is they're comparing themselves to the blogger behind the pin? I still don't get that- that is comparing yourself to perfect strangers who like to blog (and may do it as their job?)???   And frankly so many of the photos on there are professional photos... do a search for home decorating--- those are professional interior design and retailer photos that come up, not joe schmo blogger's house. Blogger may have re-posted the photos onto their blog to illustrate something but most of those photos are not of the person's house.

Either way, I wish women wouldn't compare themselves to a website that is about pinning pictures of ideas and things someone would like to maybe do one day, it is not any sort of reality or picture of 'perfect' and I think it is too bad that a concept that is supposed to be helping people to find and organize ideas is making people feel badly about themselves...  Not to mention I (and others I know) have stopped making recipes from there unless they come from a real site like food & wine/food network/etc b/c the food is never the result that the blogger posts about.

And yes, pinterest is great for ideas, but not as a measure of what anyone else out there has the time & ability to do- a lot of smoke & mirrors there.
  • Options
    Yeah, I don't get it. I also think pinterest is, for a lack of a better word, stupid.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    QueSrahQueSrah member
    edited September 2013
    I know that most of my friends aren't doing the crafts they put up on Pinterest, so I don't feel the jealousy myself.  But I think there are probably groups of women scouring Pinterest for crafts they actually do DO, and if you get enough of those in your circle (or your kid's class), I can see how you'd feel bad looking at Pinterest because there's some kind of peer pressure to be June Cleaver and Martha Stewart all wrapped up into one.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I'm not so sure.. I have a friend who's freaking out because she hasn't had time to either make or buy invitations for her daughters birthday.. that's a month away! I asked how hard it was to stop by Target, buy some invitations and stick them in the mail. The look of horror on her face.. TARGET INVITATIONS? With FILL IN THE BLANK LINES?!?! What in the world is wrong with me?!?

I apparently am a crazy lady, since I don't think anyone should stress out or drop a huge chunk of change on invitations to a one year old's birthday party.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think Pinterest is a great resource for inspiration and ideas.  For example, I am wanting to re-design the kids' playroom, so I'll go on Pinterest to get ideas for color schemes, organizing toys, etc.  Or I have a board for kids activities where I pin fun ideas for a rainy day.  I don't feel obligated to do every single activity, it's just a place to go for ideas.

I don't sit around thinking "If only I could have...".  It just helps me to organize my thoughts.
  • Options
    I pin all kinds of things I never end up doing and they are from all different people, not one person "doing it all". I don't get it either. The whole phenomenon of social media jealousy is so weird to me! I love Pinterest because it allows me to catalog ideas and inspiration that are important to me. The sharing aspect only allows me to be exposed to new and different things easily and quickly, I do not look at it as a brag book or a comparison of my life vs someone else's. I think if you are taking pinterest that personally you need to work on your self esteem and maybe stay away from the internet. 
  • Options
    Thank you!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"