November 2012 Moms
Options

SO SAHM ....

There is a common thread of ladies who speak of staying home when the DC costs are such that it makes no financial gain to work... a concept I am well aware of and take into consideration everyday when thinking about work and life...

Question: are there any moms who where one income in the family strictly pays for daycare to allow 2 adults to work... or where one of the incomes is barely more than daycare costs... if so, do you do it because you love your work, to keep an active employment history, for the health benefits or another reason? 

I am just curious if there are any families out there that have decided to continue to work even though the cost of daycare deeply cuts into the value of that income

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: SO SAHM ....

• Options
    I myself SAH by choice. We postponed having a baby until we could financially get by on one income. Personally, I know at least 4 women who stopped working because they were basically working to pay for daycare.
    In our situation, we made lots of cutbacks because it was my one true wish to be at home with our children. When I did work, it would've just paid for DC and that's it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
    imageimage
  • Options
    yep  - I am a SAHM bc its what we wanted and daycare wouldve been pretty much my salary but I am working PT so that I have some interaction and a resume that is active for when I do go back to work eventually.

I love being a SAHM mostly but I love contributing a little and staying active in a workplace....for my own sanity
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wish I could SAH but I make more money than DH! Luckily family takes B so we don't have to pay for daycare!
    View Full Size Image
  • Options
    We decided that we would like me to stay home. It has helped greatly with family closeness, especially SD. We have made sacrifices to allow me to stay home, but to us, they are completely worth it. If I went back to the job that I had, I would make over the daycare costs. I have my dream job now and am not looking back.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers  Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    We are that family. I am working and with all expenses I am technically making -40 per week ha. Insurance and 401k come out of my check. I also pay for "my" car and daycare. However if I didn't work, my hubby would need an additional 25K to cover insurance, car and other rando bills that I cover. (DH is a small business owner so he doesn't have health coverage for our family)

I hate it but I'm hanging in because we are in agreement that I won't have to work with two babies so the countdown to January 31 can't come soon enough!!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Not exactly the same--I'm a SAHM but work 3 nights a week at a dance studio. I hardly make anything but I thoroughly enjoy it and it gets me out of the house to keep me sane. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"