Working Moms
Options

s/o working out

how do you stay accountable?  I really want to get up very early and work out before everyone's up but I need a way to hold myself accountable.  I've thought of posting my workouts on Facebook, but I find people who do that so obnoxious.  DH doesn't really want to hear it or encourage me because he's heard it so many times before.  In general, I don't get a ton of support because I'm not overweight or out of shape so people give me odd comments when I say I want to start working out more seriously.  What do you guys do to stay motivated?

Re: s/o working out

• Options
    DH and I used to get up at the same time to workout in the morning. He would run outside and I would run inside on the treadmill. One of us was usually motivated enough to drag the other one out of bed. Does your DH work out too? I also sign up for races to get myself motivated.
    Formerly known as ms.mittens Jude 12/31/2008 Ezra 2/10/2011 Nora 7/23/2013 Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I am one of those obnoxious people who post on Facebook.

I use the Nike running app.

It really does keep me accountable. i get friends who will say, i saw you ran 5 miles yesterday, good job! And will also get people who will call me out if my runs arent posting.

I figure people can hide the Nike posts if they find it obnoxious.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I count calories, so on the days I workout, I get to eat more. No run, no wine. Very effective.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Nechie122 said:
    I count calories, so on the days I workout, I get to eat more. No run, no wine. Very effective.
    This is what I do.  I also just plain love to work out.  It makes me feel great and I really do get guilt trips when I skip a day. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It takes 21 days to make a habit. Get over this hump and exercising will be 2nd nature to your daily routine. Also, what is your goal to exercise? Lose weight, tone up, meet people? It it's weight loss, I find after seeing my body shrink (usually see results in first week) is motivation to eat healthy and exercise. Same with other goals; once you start seeing results, it's easier to stay motivated.

Some ppl work out better with a buddy.
  • Options
    Try Gym Pact. I love it! You "bet" a certain amount of money--I think the minimum is $5 per workout you pledge to do each week. If you miss a workout they charge you, if you meet your goal you win a little money (like $0.50 a workout). I've been using it for 10 weeks and haven't missed a workout yet. I set my bet at $20 because that's enough that it would piss me off if I lost it just because I was lazy. :) It has gotten me out the door after the kids go to bed and on cold mornings!
    DS born 5/25/09 BFP #2 10/25/11, m/c 11/5/11 BFP #3 1/20/11 EDD 10/1/11 BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Do you know anyone who uses My Fitness Pal?  All my friends were doing it, so I signed up and have a built-in cheering section.  The site also has chat boards, so you could check it out and make online exercise buddies.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Instead of facebook (although I still check in as well as update from map my run on there) I use Instagram more for the workouts as well as finding additional motivation from other IG users.  Additionally, since I got into running this year, that has providing more motivations with races and such.  Lastly, given the transformation I have made in the last year and a half, an external motivator for me is the people (coworkers, friends, etc.) telling me that I inspire them. 
  • Options
    rs_bride said:
    Try Gym Pact. I love it! You "bet" a certain amount of money--I think the minimum is $5 per workout you pledge to do each week. If you miss a workout they charge you, if you meet your goal you win a little money (like $0.50 a workout). I've been using it for 10 weeks and haven't missed a workout yet. I set my bet at $20 because that's enough that it would piss me off if I lost it just because I was lazy. :) It has gotten me out the door after the kids go to bed and on cold mornings!
    Can't decide if this is genius or crazy!

• Options
    rs_bride said:
    Can't decide if this is genius or crazy!
    All I know is I wish I were the one to have thought of it!!
    DS born 5/25/09 BFP #2 10/25/11, m/c 11/5/11 BFP #3 1/20/11 EDD 10/1/11 BabyFruit Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I go to a trainer.  He holds me accountable, and I've paid this guy, so I want to make my $ and his time worth it.  At this point, he's become a good friend, too, so I look forward to seeing him 2-3 times a week and getting some "me" time.  We schedule my workouts for after LO is down for the night (he goes to be at 7).
  • Options
    I like the ideas of the other PP's.  I also set out my workout clothes before I am supposed to workout.  If I skip, seeing those clothes just sitting there makes me feel really guilty.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Options
    I just bought a fitbit zip. I am trying to get my friend to get one too because you can share workouts and set goals. It helps to see a number on my daily activity, for instance the goal should be 10k steps per day. On days that I work out I reach that and then some. Sometimes when I am working at the computer all day and don't workout I only reach 3,000! That really put into perspective how sedentary I am on those days and it motivates me to move more. It's a small thing, but it's been helping me stay motivated, just by seeing the reality of how sedentary I have been on a particular day. If I get in a good workout I can add 5,000 steps easily in an hour. 
  • Options
    KL777KL777 member
    edited September 2013
    My work out is fun, so that motivates me to keep going (Zumba classes).  Also the wonderful results are motivating.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Options
    I like the My Fitness Pal app.  I know it has a feature where you can connect with others, so maybe finding a workout buddy in that way.

For the love of God, please don't post it on Facebook.  When people post about working out, cleaning the house, running a million errands, etc. it looks braggy, IMO. 
  • Options
    I like going to a fitness class once a week.  It's mom's time off and my husband hangs out with my daughter.  It gives me the chance to try something new and because I'm signed up, I'm motivated to go.

DH and I also do active things together...like jogging (DD in the stroller) and going for walks and hikes.  If you can do something active as a family or have a friend be a work out buddy, it can help.

I also thinking setting a goal like doing a race or charity run is a great idea.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  
  • Options
    Virgo17 said:
    I like the My Fitness Pal app.  I know it has a feature where you can connect with others, so maybe finding a workout buddy in that way.

For the love of God, please don't post it on Facebook.  When people post about working out, cleaning the house, running a million errands, etc. it looks braggy, IMO. 
    The fitbit also integrates wirelessly with this app, which is awesome for tracking calories and exercise too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"