2nd Trimester
Options

Hypothyroidism just confirmed

I've always been right on the line of having hypothyroidism (my Mother has it, also), and my new midwife confirmed that pregnancy pushed me over the line and I now have it. I'm 13.5 weeks and a little frustrated that my previous midwife didn't follow up on this - the results were from blood work done at 6.5 weeks, she never discussed the results with me.

So now I'll need to start a prescription to help my thyroids, which I'm looking forward to because I knew I was feeling much more exhausted than usual. My only concern is that we've waited far enough in the pregnancy to start that some damage to the baby may have already been done. From what I've read, there's an increased chance my child will be delayed developmentally or worse as we're not addressing the issue this early in the pregnancy. Does anybody else have experience with this or know more about hypothyroidism and pregnancy?
3 early losses in 2013, but so thankful that our first baby boy is due 3/29/14! <3

Maximilian Hunt
Born 3/19/14  //  7lbs 7oz  // 20.25in

Re: Hypothyroidism just confirmed

• Options
    I discovered that I was hypothyroid a month before I became pregnant...I started on Synthroid in March and I got my BFP in May.  They have increased my meds almost every month since then.  So far everything seems to be ok...I'm 24w3d pregnant if your mobile.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    That's good to know. I've had two ultrasounds and everything looked fine on those (6 and 11 weeks). I guess I'm just concerned that we're not taking action on this until this far into the pregnancy. I was taking a tincture my naturopath recommended for thyroid support up until about...maybe 6 weeks pregnant, but the nausea made me stop taking it because the taste is so awful. Now that I'm officially diagnosed with it, I'm hoping the big guns come in quickly enough to not cause any issue with the child.
    3 early losses in 2013, but so thankful that our first baby boy is due 3/29/14! <3

Maximilian Hunt
    Born 3/19/14  //  7lbs 7oz  // 20.25in
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was diagnosed after my initial blood panel this pregnancy as well.  I'm 13 weeks now and been on the medicine for close to a month now.  I started to feel a little better after a week on the medicine and much better after two weeks.  I have an appointment tomorrow to get my levels checked again to see if they need to adjust the dose.  My doctor didn't mention any additional risks to the baby and everything has looked normal on the 2 sonograms I've had as well.  I hope they get you on track quickly and you start feeling better very soon!  Try not to worry too much, if that's possible.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"