Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Cereals

Hi all,

My LO has cereal for dinner and i pump twice a day to get enough to mix it with.  Other than that, he eats solids for breakfast and lunch and nurses daily on demand (4-5 times a day).  I haaaaate pumping and would love to ditch it and mix his oatmeal with water.  Is this a big deal? At first I thought not but then I think that's 3 oz a day he would be missing of BM but I could also offer an extra top up feeding at some point.  Advice?

Re: Cereals

• Options
    I thought I had a siggy? But apparently not.  My son is almost 11 months old.
  • Options
    At 11 months I would just ditch the cereal. They should be switching to or sompletely on finger foods by 12 months. Cereal really doesn't give them any nutritional value, it's just empty calories. We give our son oatmeal, but we do oatmeal fingers or crock pot oatmeal that he feeds himself.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We dropped cereal over a month ago - maybe two. I make him other things with oats now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    We never did cereals, but I also hate pumping and say ditch it.  If he needs those 3oz extra, he'll let you know.
  • Options
    Thanks ladies!! I am slowly trying to transition him to something else but he loves apple cinnamon oatmeal so much and gets so excited when he see's it.  He eats plenty of foods/snacks during the day. Will keep trying and ditch the pump! 
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    Mixing BM or formula with anything is just a way to add nutrients.  It's certainly not required so if he likes oatmeal and you don't want to mix it with BM you don't have to.  At 11 months old you can mix it with regular milk if you'd like something more nutritious than water.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    I stopped having enough BM to mix in with her cereal awhile ago, my LO didn't seem to notice when I switched it water.
  • Options
    At 11 months I would just mix it with cows milk.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"