Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Good toddler books?

Does anyone have any good book recommendations? My son loves to "read" and I'm slowly trying to build up a little library for him.
BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Re: Good toddler books?

• Options
    Goodnight, goodnight, construction site is my sons favorite book (and mine too) it is adorable!!!!
  • Options
    My son is OBSESSED with Brown Bear, Brown Bear. He wants to read it all the time. He reads it with me, he read it with daddy, and he reads it alone. He loves to go thru all the pages and name the animals and then make their sound. I would also suggest the How Do Dinosaur series.
    April's TTGP Siggy Challenge: Favorite Superhero
    SuperMan!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    There is a monster at the end of this book. With Grover from Sesame Street. Adorable!
  • Options
    There is a monster at the end of this book. With Grover from Sesame Street. Adorable!
    I love this book!  We bought it for him before he was born, but he isn't interested in it yet.

My son (23 months) is really obsessed with touch & feel books as of this week.(We read It's a Small World Furry Friends at least five times this morning.) He also has me read the Spot books over and over.

At 15 months his favorites were "What Do You Want to Be"  "When I Was Born" and "Goodnight Moon."  Then he moved on to "Little Engine That Could"  "Caps for Sale" "I Knew You Could" and "Good Job Oliver."
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Great suggestions! Thanks! Jack loves Thomas the Train also. And I was just looking at Brown Bear, Brown Bear online yesterday. It had a great rating! I'll definitely have to get it.
  • Options
    Oh, there's so many!! We love Berenstain Bears, Dr. Suess, and anything with bright colors and a fun story line. We've built up LO's library pretty well, since before he was born- but we've read all those books. Now, I take him to the library and he has a good time walking up to a shelf and picking a book. I like him to feel like he's in charge, so I check out all of the books that he picks and some of my own that I'd like to read to him. We get new library books every 2-3 weeks.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My daughter does tend to love the random ones. She loves dogs so any dog books are a big hit. I buy some with a message like "Everyone Poops" to go with her potty chair. We tend to go to the library a lot so I see if any ones we get from there catch her attention then I buy her it. I also check out the top 100 books. One I would strongly recommend is "100 first Animals" board book. Just tons of pictures with name of animal under it. She reads it and points to random animals and I tell her their name.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Our LO goes through phases where he's obsessed with certain books.  Some of his past favorites have been a random Fisher Price "Sooo Big!" book, a few of the Sandra Boynton books (those are great!  I have Moo Baa La La La memorized!) Brown Bear, Brown Bear, My Daddy Loves Me (Laurel Porter-Gaylord, has pictures of animal "daddies" of actual behavior of how animals care for their babies, I think there's a "mommy" version, too), Karen Katz flap books that are now mostly flap-less, Richard Scarry's I am a Bunny...

He's currently into Pat the Bunny and Goodnight Moon, and a Winnie-the-Pooh opposites book.

Awesome that your LO has his own library :)

• Options

Ok, I'm obsessed with buying books for DS.  He has about 50 books, but we read only about 35 or so since he is too young to read some of the other ones (but I bought them for reading for later).  We also have another dozen or so that we borrow from the library and rotate from time to time.

Our all time favourite is the "Very Cranky Bear". It rhymes, has a good "lesson" at the end of it, and has good illustrations. It has about 2 or 3 sentences per page, but the rhyming makes it seems less long and can hold LO's attention well.

I also like the Michael Dahl series (Penguin Says Please, Hippo Says Execuse Me, Bear Says Thank You) - these are about 1 or 2 lines per page and the illustrations are adorable.  And it teaches him basic manners.

Pat the Bunny is also fun for LO to explore.  I like the story in "Guess How Much I Love You" and have a few other ones in that series.  The Sandra Boynton ones are always good - you can buy the box sets.  Our favourites are "Are You A Cow?", "But Not the Hippopotamus" and "Barnyard Dance".

LO is starting to have a greater attention span so sometimes I read him one of the "older" books (3+ sentences per page, non-Board books): out of those, my favourites are the ones by Oliver Jeffers ("Up and Down", "Lost and Found", "The Way Back Home").

• Options
    DS is almost 21 months and is OBSESSED with "Goodnight Moon" and "Time for Bed" He has worn out Goodnight Moon really bad and carries it around the house with him, super cute.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    All of the Sandra Boyton, Eric Carle & Mercer Mayer books. My LO also really enjoys the Touch and Feel books and any books where she can push a button and hear a sound.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    LO is only 1, but he likes Barnyard Dance (Boyton), Brown Bear Brown Bear, That's Not My Puppy, and Elmo's Play Day. 

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Am I the only who has a kid that doesn't like me to actually read to him? He LOVES books and prefers them over other toys but he turns the pages so quickly or prefers books with just pictures so I don't actually "read" any to him. We talk about the pictures and he points to things, etc but he doesn't have the patience for me to read to him.

Anyone else?

DS likes when I read to him, but he does enjoy flipping the pages, usually before I'm done reading it. He also likes to sit and look through a book on his own.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"