Working Moms

Feel out of place after maternity leave

I was very fortunate to have a year of maternity leave to spend with my daughter.  I have been back at work for 2.5 months.  There were a lot of changes at my work in the past year and no one has taken the time to bring me up to speed.  My boss hasn't even sat and talked to me for more than five minutes...we used to have a pretty good relationship.  I know it's a busy time in the office...but I can't help but feel a little like I have been replaced.  I'm feeling like it is time for me to move on from this job but I'm not sure I'll be able to find something for the same salary.  So I just feel a little trapped and coming to work is not very rewarding/challenging.

Anyway, just wanted to express the way I'm feeling somewhere...

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

Re: Feel out of place after maternity leave

• JessAnnJJessAnnJ member
    edited September 2013
    Is it possible that they are taking things slow and not trying to overwhelm you? It has only been a couple months maybe it will get better.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• I was in this situation, and I only took 14 weeks off.  But I was working for a government contractor, and the project I was on before ML ended while I was out, so I came back to a different program with different people.  Noone was friendly to me and I got no support in my new role.  I decided to make a change and look for a new job of my choice.  I am much happier now.  It may be time to start looking at your options.  You are in a good spot right now because you have the luxury of taking your time finding a new job.  Good Luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Loading the player...
  • A year is a long time to be gone, so it is quite possible that it will take a while to get back into the swing of things and feel fully integrated. That said, I would think that would have happened after 2.5 months. I would look around on the side and if you see something else that seems great, apply.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I think you need to give it more time. I was only out for 12 weeks and it took me a full three months to get back to feeling like I was back in the loop.

BFP 11/09 - DD 7/10 - BFP 8/11 - M/C 9/11 - BFP 6/12 - DD - 2/13

• I agree that a year is a very long time and they've likely gotten used to doing things with a new team.  So, it will definitely take time for you to integrate back into things. 

I would not be okay with my boss not sitting down and having a true meeting with me though.  Schedule one with him to discuss your role.  Tell him how you feel.  Tell him you want more. 

• Thanks ladies.  It's kind of a weird situation at my work because I was put on a project before I got pregnant and I ended up leaving the office for mat-leave a few months before the project was scheduled to end.  The project didn't finish on time and is still going on almost a year after it was supposed to be finished.  So the person who replaced me for mat-leave is still doing the same job as me but the project side.  I'd like to be involved in the project too...but obviously, I missed a lot while I was away.

Because of the project my boss has also been super busy trying to wrap things up.  So I understand it's a challenge to meet with me to bring me up to speed...so I have kind of let is slide but it has been a really long time...I'm sure we can squeeze in a cup of coffee at some point.   I'll try to figure something out soon because I'd like to make the most out of my job while I am here.
  • I was only on leave with this last baby for 8 weeks.  The day I got back, my boss called me in to discuss what happened while I was out and what she wanted me to begin working on right away.

I think it's weird you've been back 2.5 months and your boss hasn't been able to spare 10 minutes to clue you in.
  • Your boss probably isn't thinking about having to catch you up, he probably just figures ok you are back, lets keep moving. Not saying this is the right approach, but if you need more than that from him, why don't you just be proactive and schedule yourself a time to meet with him and say something like, I have been back a couple of months now and there are still some items I want to go over. If you wait much longer, you will look silly for not stepping up sooner. In other words, if you don't speak up, you can't expect your boss to read your mind with what your needs are. And, wow, a year mat leave? That is unusual, you are very fortunate. Keep that in mind, as you think about looking for a job elsewhere. Sounds to me like they were very good to you with that benefit. Best of luck!
  • Thanks, daisy662, a year of maternity leave is actually the norm here in Canada. So my work didn't really have a choice, haha.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"