December 2011 Moms

Credit cards

As much as I dislike credit cards and the spell they put me under, I need to get one. We currently had one that we put both business and personal expenses on, but we need to do better at keeping business and personal separate. Any recs for a card that has some type of rewards?

Re: Credit cards

• Do you like to travel?

We have a Southwest Airlines card. I believe it costs $100 a year now, but there are no transaction fees if you travel out of the country and use it and we haven't paid to fly in I don't know how long....They have a partnership with AirTran now, so points can be used internationally. We flew to Cancun in August on AirTran for free. We've flown during the holidays to go snowboarding too. Flying at busy travel times is not a problem if you book far in advance. We love it! 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Loading the player...
  • moosebaby2011moosebaby2011 member
    edited September 2013
    I like my Discover Card and my Chase Freedom Visa. Both are cash back cards that have quarterly specials for 5% back based on purchases made at that quarter's "special" (some examples are grocery stores, online shopping, or gas stations). Reward dollars can be refunded as a check, used against your bill, or used directly at Amazon.com plus some other options. Neither has an annual fee, and I haven't had any negative issues with their customer service at all.
    OHM born 12/16/11, BAM born 1/10/14, mmc 06/30/15
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • We have a delta Amex. It has an annual fee but more than pays for itself in free checked baggage since we fly several times a yr and its almost always on Delta.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • I like my Discover Card and my Chase Freedom Visa. Both are cash back cards that have quarterly specials for 5% back based on purchases made at that quarter's "special" (some examples are grocery stores, online shopping, or gas stations). Reward dollars can be refunded as a check, used against your bill, or used directly at Amazon.com plus some other options. Neither has an annual fee, and I haven't had any negative issues with their customer service at all.
    We have the Discover card, too, and I like to use the cash back on amazon. :-) I personally would never pay for a credit card when there are so many free ones with great cash back options available. But I also don't fly very often. ;-)
    DS born 12/2011
    DD born 03/2014

• Thanks for the recs! We don't travel often so I'm leaning towards something with cash back.
  • I have a lot of different credit cards - but we pay them off in full each month.  We fly a few times as a year so we use our Delta Amex - we upgraded our card and so now we get a companion ticket once a year, so it pays for itself.  Plus by putting our purchases on there it upgrades DH's travel status, so he's usually Gold/Platinum each year.

BUT you mentioned you don't travel.  Other cards we have US Bank Visa - used to be good but they lowered it to 1/2 point per dollar now.  So I don't use this as much.  Costco Amex - you get % back in Costco statement, so if you are a Costco member a good option.  It's free.

Discover - wasn't a fan of this one until our new daycare center only takes Discover - so it will be nice to earn % back for paying for daycare fees! 

I always see the Chase/Capital One cards with cash back - those could be a good option - don't have those!  :)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have a delta am ex card, which we opened to save on baggage fees, and a Southwest rapid rewards visa. Between the two cards, we rarely have to pay for flights and never have to pay for checked bags.
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • My personal card is a simple VISA cash back.  We charge everything and pay them off all monthly, so I tend to be able to get $500 + towards my bill every 12-18 months.  H has an Amazon card as his personal card and our joint card is a fidelity investment rewards amex.  I travel a ton for work and  use my corporate amex, but I get plenty of points for hotels/airlines through that travel.
    laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We have the American Express Blue Cash card.  There is NO annual fee and we put pretty much everything on it (and pay it off every month) and I get back about $600-$800 a year.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"