March 2012 Moms
Options

Colors and Counting

DD can recognize and say all of her colors! She also can count to 10! I thought that was pretty cool for 18 and 1/2 months old. :)

Re: Colors and Counting

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

That awesome, and it's not your fault but post like this make me think my kid is behind. I hate that I let things get to me....

That is pretty sweet though :)

We are nowhere near this either. It is a little hard to take this post as anything other than AW as the OP contributes next to nothing to this board.
    @nicb13 what is your DS doing that is awesome and amazing now?
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

I figured it was an AW post and I'm not sitting here feeling butt hurt over it, but I think you know what I mean about posts like this. Sometimes certain posts make me think that either the OP is exaggerating, or straight up lying!

DS is a wonderful kid, says quite a few words and is developing just fine. He's very into sports and freaks out over baseball. He will grab just about any object and pretend it's a bat and when he hits the imaginary ball, he yells "boom". It's super cute :)

That is adorable! I hope you have tons of videos in case he's a big shot baseball player in the future! It will be perfect for his ESPN documentary
    :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Nicb13 said:

I figured it was an AW post and I'm not sitting here feeling butt hurt over it, but I think you know what I mean about posts like this. Sometimes certain posts make me think that either the OP is exaggerating, or straight up lying!

DS is a wonderful kid, says quite a few words and is developing just fine. He's very into sports and freaks out over baseball. He will grab just about any object and pretend it's a bat and when he hits the imaginary ball, he yells "boom". It's super cute :)

I agree COMPLETELY about the AWness of the post!

And that is so cute about his love for baseball!  DS is loving watching football.  We taught him to put his arms up for a touchdown and he runs around the house yelling "touchdown" with his arms up.  If DH or I do not put our arms up immediately, we get a very impatient "mama!" or "dada!"  Like, uh, hello, did you not see that I just yelled touchdown?
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Kristina's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) 
    We go together like a wink and a smile. June 27, 2009 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    52 books in 2015?           
    image  Image and video hosting by TinyPic   
  • Options
    WipzWipz member
    edited September 2013

I sometimes feel the same way, but then I remind myself my kid is unique and so is everyone elses.. we  all like to tell the acheivements and you rarely come on to say my kid is useless at X Y Z  lol  ... my lil guy never army crawled, isnt potty trained, didnt walk talk and chew gum by the time he was 10 months old... which is great if you can

......  he comprehends a lot more than he can articulate, but lately has been having a spurt in new words.  He has a crazy sense of humor which is beyond me as to where he gets it at this young age. 

He still eats what I would consider not as good as I would like, but I listen to the moms who say look at the big picture and I know he really is doing good and he sure ins't losing weight which he would because he is super active.

all in all my kid is on right where he should be..for HIM and I'm not worried  about him being behind  on anything even though it's super cute to hear what  everyone else is getting up to.  At our Pedi appointment yesterday our Pedi said age 2.5-3 for girls, 3-4 for boys is about right for potty training..so why the hell everyone is so worried about it this soon I don't know.. but if/when he is ready he is ready .. he will have all the stuff he needs and he can pick his time.

Same with his learning wall... it's there and when he wants to play with it we'll help him identify things or ask questions.. but I am not going to sit him in his highchair in front of it and start drilling letters and numbers and shapes and colors into him. 

...so far just having it on the wall for a week or so where he can interact with it has him recognizing his own name, spoon, kiss ( so cute he actually kisses that one if you ask him where the kiss kiss is) owl, Hug and  George ( curious george ) 

all you can do is give your kids the tools and encourage them and support them and give them the freedom to learn new things.. and celebrate the new things not worry about the things that havent happened yet. My kid vacuums, dances, can climb in and out of his own high chair , unzip his own trampoline from the inside... ok so he can't juggle, do dishes, paint masterpieces or drive a car...and he doesn't do algebra... but I am 43 and still suck at algebra.. lol.  He takes showers, can wash himself and stack the shampoo and soap bottles on the side of the tub.. so many things he can do...and the rest will happen sooner or later.

when you actually sit down and make a list of all the things your kid can and does do... you'll be surprised, so concentrate on those  :)

all of our kids are unique and every new thing learnt is awesome... it doesn't have to be in any set order  :)  We have beautiful bright and funny kids... what more could we want :)

• Options
    Emsworld said:
    DD can recognize and say all of her colors! She also can count to 10! I thought that was pretty cool for 18 and 1/2 months old. :)

Grats.. its so much fun watching them  bloom isn't it

• Options
    Nicb13 said:

Thank you @LilNunz1 for asking :)

Kids are SO different and although I love the March 2012 board, I need to remember that it's unfair to DS and unfair to myself to compare kids. Why is my child's development so stressful?! DH NEVER worries about this stuff. lol

It's only stressful because we feel judged even when when people ask innocently about  milestones we haven't reached yet and then mommy's feel like they are failing their kids somehow.  If your kid is happy and healthy and reasonably clean.(.I say reasonably because in my ..MY personal opinion... no happy kid is always clean lol.).. fed and loved... you are doing a great job..everything else is just the bonus level you will reach at some point  :)  Dad's dont tend to ask the milestone questions and think about different things for the most part...so they don't really put the unseen pressures on each other that mommy's feel..justified or imagined. 

We were pre-programmed to be the worriers and the caretakers and the momma bears of the family...but we're  also human and need to remember we are human and we are prefect .. perfectly unique..each and every one of us.

• Options
    I'm all for AWing. Guess I just appreciate it from frequent contributors over "drive bys". I feel like I know those kids and I love hearing about a new skill!

@wipz Great points. It is tough not to compare IRL as well!
  • Options
    eyenigheyenigh member
    edited September 2013
    I have so many smart ass answers that I'd like to give but instead, I'll just say good for you but this might have been better shared with people who know you better because it definitely comes off AW since you have almost no history here. I can think of a few other boards that would've torn you a new one with a post like that, lol.

• Options
    Sorry but I'm not sure what AW is and I'm also sorry for offending anyone. I read this board all of the time and feel like I know some of you and your kids. I don't have anyone else to share this with and I am just so proud of my DD for being so smart at this young age.
  • Options
    Maybe you'll get to post more often and let everyone else get to know you too ..and there is nothing wrong with being proud of your kid for the big or small moments...we're all proud mommas here.  I don't think anyone was offended so much as wondering who you are and not knowing quite how to respond to a virtual stranger.

There's always room for one more member of the family.. Welcome and Hi  ..I'm the black sheep of the bunch

:D
  • Options

Wipz said:
    Maybe you'll get to post more often and let everyone else get to know you too ..and there is nothing wrong with being proud of your kid for the big or small moments...we're all proud mommas here.  I don't think anyone was offended so much as wondering who you are and not knowing quite how to respond to a virtual stranger.

There's always room for one more member of the family.. Welcome and Hi  ..I'm the black sheep of the bunch

:D
    Exactly.

AW= attention whoring or attention wanted (depending on who you ask!). On a lot of other boards, I've been people who never post come on just to rave about their kids' accomplishments (My 9 month old knows all of her state capitals and replaced the starter on my husband's car!) and it just never goes over well as it just comes off as a stranger bragging or just looking for attention-- especially when the claims are outrageous. If that's not you, certainly no harm done. Like @Wipz said, we're all proud of our kids and like to talk about them so jump in and post more so we can get to know you!

• Options
    I can see now that it did not come off well. I guess I should have phrased it differently or asked if anyone else's LOs are counting yet or saying colors. I was just super excited that DD can do this and had to share it somewhere. I figured this was the right place. Sorry again to everyone and I didn't mean to make you feel bad if your LOs aren't doing these things yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"