Baby Names
Options

my mother named me Katryn.....

how would you like to have the only person with that name growing up... LOL!!! I have yet to meet another one....I was named after my great aunt from Scotland... My mom shortened to Katie growing up... but I have had a lifetime of mispronunciation. If you google the name you find some people named that.... I have yet to meet someone in person...

pronounced kate  ryn (sorry did not know any other way to show it)

Just wanted to share....anyone else with very rare names.

Re: my mother named me Katryn.....

• Options

Well my name is not nearly as rare as yours I'm sure but my first name is Deirdre and the pronunciation is butchered all the time.  It is pronounced Deer-druh.  I often get call Deidre and any other number of crazy names like Desiree and I don't even have an S in my name.  I've met a couple other Deirdres who are often called Deidre and a few Deidres who are often called Deirdre.  It's really strange.

Dee Dee DS Elijah Xin 3/11/05 DD Evangeline Mei 8/24/06
  • Options
    imageEXL311:

Well my name is not nearly as rare as yours I'm sure but my first name is Deirdre and the pronunciation is butchered all the time.  It is pronounced Deer-druh.  I often get call Deidre and any other number of crazy names like Desiree and I don't even have an S in my name.  I've met a couple other Deirdres who are often called Deidre and a few Deidres who are often called Deirdre.  It's really strange.

Never heard of your name either.... I was always called KATHRYN... I would freak out and say there is no H.... my sister in the last few years has started to pronounce my name cat  ryn to be funny..... I have pretty much changed me name......

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Actually the first way I thought you would say your name is cat ryn so I can understand why you've had troubles with it.  I know that Enya has a sister named Deirdre but don't know if they pronounce it differently.  There is a soap (I think?) actress named Deidre Hall but that's clearly not the same first name as mine. Wink  Do your siblings have rare names too?
  • Options
    imageEXL311:

I love the name Deirdre, but am not using it for our baby for just that reason. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I have issues with this because I am from Ireland and I love all the traditional Irish names but I live in the States so I wonder how mean it would be to give my children weird names?

Did it suck growing up with an unusual name?

And do you think there is a difference between a name chosen for cultural reasons and a new, oddly spelled, "unique" name? Or is it just difficult for a kid to grow up with a name that is difficult to pronounce no matter what the reasoning behind it?

I really like both your names, btw!

• Options
    imageMaudGonne:

I have issues with this because I am from Ireland and I love all the traditional Irish names but I live in the States so I wonder how mean it would be to give my children weird names?

And do you think there is a difference between a name chosen for cultural reasons and a new, oddly spelled, "unique" name? Or is it just difficult for a kid to grow up with a name that is difficult to pronounce no matter what the reasoning behind it?

Thanks for the compliment guys!  I've almost always gone by Dee Dee.  It was my nickname chosen for me before Deirdre actually.  It stinks to have a name that people don't often pronounce right (especially because my maiden name was butchered often) but I really enjoy having a name that not many people have.  It feels special to not know what it's like to be named Jennifer (beautiful name by the way but very common when I was younger) and to turn around everyone called your name just to find out they're talking to another Jennifer.  I think choosing a name for cultural reasons is great, although you still have to take into account if that particular name might lead to teasing in school for a child.  Cultural reasons gives meaning to a name while choosing a unique spelling of a name just because seems like it's trying to hard to be different.

• Options
    i was named Kaela Raquel. my first name is pronouced Kay-lah. i have only found one other girl in another state with the same spelling although Kayla is pretty popular or at least was at one time. Hardly anyone can get my name right the first 5 times even after i sound it out for them. growing up i HATED my name and wanted to change it. for a while i went by my middle name. now, as an adult i LOVE that no one has my exact name. i never got made fun of but it is annoying to have to explain my name over and over. but like i said now i love it and don't mind the explaining so much. HTH all you caring moms/ moms-to-be
  • Options
    I have met someone named Katryn, but it was pronounced Cat-rin.  She was from Estonia. 
    Married 12.27.03

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I was born Allyson Corinne. I was always one of, like, three Alison/Allison/Allysons in my class. Always had the wrong spelling, but there were always a ton of them - and I hated that.

I changed my names around when I was 13, legally, and am now Corinne Allyson.

Corinne is pronounced "Kor-een", and it is after my great grandmother. I got a lot of "Kor-in" or "Karen", and so I ended up going by Cori. I still like using Corinne though...much more than Allyson. I hated having a common name.

We will use a more rarely-heard name when we name our baby.

• Options
    My name is fairly average (although it was somewhat unusual when I was born) but DH is Talfryn.  He hated having an unusual name and is desperate to name his kids something like John and Barbara.  I'm not going for it, though - I want something a lot less common.  We're having a HELL of a time agreeing on names.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • Options

I think that's a pretty name!

I have an uncommon name (Nora), and growing up I hated it and wanted to be named Kristi or Mindy.  Now I love it, even though I rarely meet anyone who shares my name who is under the age of 80!

People do get it confused with Laura (which I don't mind - my BF is Laura) and sometimes Norma (which I hate!)  I'd rather have that than have a common name, though!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    My name is Toni and I totally hear you on the misspelling (Tony) or people just using the wrong name (Tori, Joni, Jodi, Tonia).  I am trying very hard to find a name that isn't really, really common, but still isn't too "weird" and won't get misspelled or mistaken all the freakin' time.  (And don't get me started on the unisex or boys' names for girls phenomenon.)
  • Options

imageEXL311:
    Actually the first way I thought you would say your name is cat ryn so I can understand why you've had troubles with it.  I know that Enya has a sister named Deirdre but don't know if they pronounce it differently.  There is a soap (I think?) actress named Deidre Hall but that's clearly not the same first name as mine. Wink  Do your siblings have rare names too?

no...they are Kelly and Korrie.....my mom has a thing for k's....

• Options
    imageMaudGonne:

Yes it was ODD.... but like I stated my mom nicknamed me Katie..so that took over for friends and family.... however the first day of school it was always misprounced and then...I would correct them and say just call me Katie... It was totally a pain...and embarassment cause then everyone would say what is your name???  I am ok with it now cause I am older but growing up it was harder....

• Options
    well said.... I agree completely..... My last named stinked too as well and was butchered... so I had it with both names...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"