Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Won't take milk

LO is now one and doctor told us to move right off of the formula and use WCM 2-3 times a day.  We started with milk in a sippy cup and LO refused to take it! We then tried giving it to her in the bottle (against doctors orders), and STILL wouldn't take it.  She has no problem drinking water out of a straw sippy.  I am assuming she is not used to the milk, but our doctor told us to give it to her straight, without mixing it with formula.  Anyone else have this problem?  I am kind of stressing out.

Re: Won't take milk

• Options
    Yes to the warming of the formula.  I knew that was going to be an issue when we transitioned.  We make bottles ahead of time, and would warm up before bottle time.
  • Options
    We did the transition slowly. 2 oz. of wcm to a 6 oz. bottle.  Upped every couple of weeks.  Started in a bottle and then moved over to the sippy.  We just ditched the bottle last week.  Give it a try and see how that goes.

imageimage 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We mixed at first and also kept in bottle until she got used to milk. Then we switched to sippys about 2 weeks after we transitioned her fully to milk. No issues.

• Options
    We went cold turkey off bottles but did 3/4 formula to 1/4 milk and gradually decreased the formula and increased the milk until it was all milk. I don't think there's any problem with mixing to help them adjust! That's what our pedi recommended. Also, for a little while we warmed up the milk a little bit (maybe 30 seconds) to take the chill off, then we started just setting it out a few minutes before giving it to him; he eventually adjusted to milk being cold and he now drinks milk like a pro. Good luck!
  • Options
    1. My doctor said formula is okay if we choose to give it.  They even make formula that is for toddlers as PP mentioned.
    2. A lot of kids do get used to the taste of something new but it will take time.  So if you want to use WCM...maybe you could start slowly (ie. replacing one serving of milk a day...or mixing WCM and formula).

• Options
    Don't stress!

My LO was the exact same way. I had tried mixing it with formula, but he never fell for it. So, here's what I did. 

During daytime hours, I would give him 2-3 ounces of milk, but I would put a little bit of strawberry powder for flavor. I did this for a couple days (as a treat). Each day I would put less and less strawberry powder until he got used to the milk by itself. Guess what? It worked because now he drinks cow's milk alone with no problem. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"