Nurseries and Baby Gear

Help me find a car seat!

DS2 is about to outgrow his B-Safe and I am in the market for a convertible. There are so many options out there and it is so overwhelming trying to decide and all the features keep mixing together in my head. This is what I'm most interested in:

-Super easy installation
-Non-twist straps
-adjustable harness without re-threading

I drive a Honda Pilot, so space isn't really a concern, although I would like something that isn't as deep at the B-Safe so we can have more room behind the passenger seat. My kids are both pretty tall (DS2 is currently in the 96% for height) and I plan to RF until 2, but I am comfortable flipping after that. 

Another question, I have noticed that some seats have several different recline positions and other seats only have 1. How important is that?

Any suggestions?? TIA
BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11

Re: Help me find a car seat!

• Budget?

Recline angles can be changed with a tightly rolled towel or a pool noodle to a degree. You would need to try the seat in your car to see what you are dealing with. Some seats just don't work in some cars.

Also, a no rethread harness is not replaceable. In the event that you had a vomit incident or epic diaper blowout that can't be cleaned with a damp towel, you may need to buy a new seat. Think about how often you need to change the harness height. Is it that often that you really can't switch it every once in a while? Just some food for thought because there are some great seats that don't have a no rethread harness :)

I would avoid Britax convertibles with your son's height. The seat will be outgrown RF before he is two.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • @Kayla08 thanks for asking ... am just starting to think about the next seat myself. @kmc84 - good pont! Never thought about that! So then ideas for ones with no twist, easy to install, RF as long as possible?
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • The seats I see recommended most for extended rear facing are the Diono Radian, Chicco Nextfit, Clek Foonf, and Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise. The Graco seats listed have the tallest shells and will RF to 40lbs, radian 45lbs, and Foonf to 50lbs. Obviously budget will be a factor between these seats.

I have heard the Radian is hard to install and it takes up a ton of room unless you use the angle adjuster. It has a rachet tightened, which I found to be a big turn off. This seat can be tethered while RFing. Narrow enough for 3 across.

The Nextfit is an easy install. Some people have trouble tightening the harness correctly, but I have heard that it gets easier with use.

The Graco I have heard mixed reviews on as far as installation and harness use.

The Foonf is pricy, but it's very cool! It has an anti rebound bar and installs very easy. There are magnets to hold the buckle out of the way when putting baby in. It sits up high so kiddos can see more going around them. The fabric is very easy to wipe clean. It is a beast of a seat and may not fit well in smaller cars. Narrow enough for 3 across.

All seats are safe as long as you get one that you can install properly and use correctly 100% of the time. The best thing is to go to a store where you can try seats in your car, put your LO in it and see what you think.
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Chicco Nextfit
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • kmc84 said:

Budget?

Recline angles can be changed with a tightly rolled towel or a pool noodle to a degree. You would need to try the seat in your car to see what you are dealing with. Some seats just don't work in some cars.

Also, a no rethread harness is not replaceable. In the event that you had a vomit incident or epic diaper blowout that can't be cleaned with a damp towel, you may need to buy a new seat. Think about how often you need to change the harness height. Is it that often that you really can't switch it every once in a while? Just some food for thought because there are some great seats that don't have a no rethread harness :)

I would avoid Britax convertibles with your son's height. The seat will be outgrown RF before he is two.

That's not always true on the no retread not being able to be replaced or cleaned . I have two no retread harnessed seats and I'm able to remove the straps every time I clean the seats. The straps are removed the same way any other seat is. I have had a Britax, Graco Argos , combi shuttle and Graco smart seat all non retread and all allow the straps to be removed and replaced .
  • @headgear03

Thanks for pointing that out. From talking with someone who has a no rethread, I was informed incorrectly apparently :(
    TTC# 1 since 5/10

TTC #2
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

TTC#3
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • kmc84 said:

@headgear03

Thanks for pointing that out. From talking with someone who has a no rethread, I was informed incorrectly apparently :(

No problem . I do believe I heard something about the new next fit from Chico not allowing the straps to be removed but I'm not %100 on that . It was a big deal in the FB car seat group when it was released.
  • edited September 2013
    We recently purchased DS a Graco Argos 70 3-in-1 and we love it! The 3 position recliner was a bonus for us, not a must have. I was mainly searching for something that had a cup holder, could be used a booster seat one day, and easy straps, side impact protection, ect. Our budget was $200 and we ended up making the sale at Babies R Us for $159.99. No complaints about this car seat, and it looks great and is easy to clean!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • We recently purchased DS a Graco Argos 70 3-in-1 and we love it! The 3 position recliner was a bonus for us, not a must have. I was mainly searching for something that had a cup holder, could be used a booster seat one day, and easy straps, side impact protection, ect. Our budget was $200 and we ended up making the sale at Babies R Us for $159.99. No complaints about this car seat, and it looks great and is easy to clean!

The Argos is NOT a convertible seat - it's a combination seat that only forward faces.  The AAP recommends that children stay rear facing to a minimum of 2 years old so I would consider looking into a seat that will return your child to rear facing.  There are very few (if any) seats that will last your child from rear facing to booster.  There are seats that have excellent rear and forward facing limits that will last your child to booster age.  Booster seats are very inexpensive when it comes time for them.  

For the OP, I would look into the Nextfit (but like a PP mentioned, the harness cannot be replaced), the Graco Size4Me/MySize/Headwise (all the same seat but different names for different retailers and it has the highest rear facing limit on the market so it will likely be the only seat your child will need until they are ready for a booster around age 5 or 6) or the Radian.  The Graco does have the no-rethread harness but I'm not sure if it's something you can replace if necessary.  
  • Thanks everyone!!
    BFP 11/29/11 MC 12/29/11
  • If you're in a Pilot the Radian fits fine both with the angle adjuster and without. Recline is irrelevant rf, because there are certain angles uou are required to maintain with most seats.

A pilot is car seat install heaven. Ive seen six rf Radians in one. The install videos are a must see though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"