Baby Names

name already used by family member

DH has a cousin Alexa with the same last name as ours. they're not especially close, but our families are in contact. seems weird to have two Alexa Lastnames. would this be a dealbreaker for you?

Re: name already used by family member

• If the last name was different I would do it, but since the last name is the same I would keep looking.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Agree - since the last name is the same I have to say its a no go. it would be really weird, especially if you live close. What about Alexia? Its a little different ...
  • Loading the player...
  • there must be other names you like.

i wouldn't even use a variation. ?too close.?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • yes it probably would be a deal breaker for me.  Maybe you could use a variation of the name. 

Alexis

Alexandra

Lexi

• yup total deal breaker if the last name is the same - sorry!!
  • yeah, I wouldn't be able to use it.
  • I wouldn't use it if there is already one in the family.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • If I were the mom I'd be pretty POed that you stole my kids name.
  • Do not do it, My daughter is Alexa and I would not like it if a distant family member used the name
  • with the same last name, I would say don't do it.

I do know of sisters with different last names once married who both used Aaron (boy) / Erin (girl) and that works.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • It would definitely be a deal breaker for me, but I'm crossing names off my list if ANYone I know has a child named the same name.  My cousin just had a baby boy and named him the same name as MS....but we have different last names.  I still think/thought it was weird.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes.

Can you pick a similar name like Alexis? Alana...etc..

• I went to HS with a Meghan and a Megan that were cousins with the same last name.  Same grade and everything (the girls couldn't have been more different, though).
  • That would be a dealbreaker for me. 
  • My married name is the same first/last name as one of DH's cousins.  I have never met her, but I do get her mail sometimes!  Also, I have to get a criminal record check every year (I am a teacher) and they pulled her records instead of mine! 

Not a huge big deal, but a bit of a pain....

*Edit-- On the other hand, each girl will probably get married and may change her last name anyways.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"