3rd Trimester

Is an IV necessary?

2»

Re: Is an IV necessary?

• I was told with dd and this one you have to have at least one bag of iv fluids before you can get the epidural

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Well, I guess I'll definitely need an IV. I'm only 17.5 weeks right now and my first kid. So I had no idea what was needed or not. I'll manage. Where is the least painful and most mobile placement? I hate them in the crook of my arm because whether I can or not, I feel like I cant freely move my arms.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • It's a pain but my hospital policy says yes, you have to have one... Just in case of an emergency and they need to administer something fast.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I talked to my OB about this in my last visit. He told me that if I had an epidural that an IV is absolutely necessary. If I test positive for group b strep, I'll also need an IV.

But, if all is well and normal, and I have an unmedicated birth, an IV is not necessary at my hospital.

I cannot stand to have anything touching me/on me when I feel uncomfortable. I don't have a fear of an IV, but I know I'd be ripping that thing out!
  • i have had several ivs in my life (ore than 10) and the only time it has been uncomfortable was when it was placed wrong and i asked them to redo it and then i didn't feel it. I feel the tape holding it in the most. I am glad to have an iv cause then they can make sure i am hydrated, drugged up, and given whatever I might need in an emergency.

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• I'm sure this has been answers. But an IV for a healthy normal birth is not necessary at all. And you have a right to refuse. But if your OB doesn't support that choice of yours, than you have the wrong Dr?. It's about convenience for hospital. With an epidural expect to not only have an IV but many many wires and tubes and junk hooked up to you and To be stuck in bed. Not ideal for birthing a baby in any way!
  • My doctor and I agreed no IV unless I chose to have an epidural (I planned for a drug free birth). I was in labor 9 hours and decided to have an epidural and then I got the IV. At hour 13 baby was born. This time I again plan for no IV unless I go with the epidural then I know I will need one. Good luck!
  • Meery82 said:

As far as I know, you need to have one. If there is some kind of emergency, they need access to your veins to give you medication fast. And if you are induced with pitocin, it runs through an IV.

This. Also, before I could get the epidural, I had to receive two bags of fluid via IV. Not sure if they let you get it without an IV.
    When you're in labor and having intense contractions, an IV or the epidural being placed will be the least of your worries. I was so distracted by my labor pains that someone could have punched in the face and it probably wouldn't have hurt lol
    Anniversary
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker   image

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Kari~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

• My hospital doesn't require IV or port.

A good nurse can get an IV in under any scenario so doing it just because or just in-case is a lame answer. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"