Babies on the Brain

A pregnancy-newb question (painless, I promise)

My SIL is due Oct 2nd. I am going out of town Oct 8-11. We are all excited because this is the first niece/nephew/grandchild in either one of our families. She and I were talking and I said i hope she has her baby before I go out of town and she said there is no way they would let her carry the baby a week late. I admit I am a total newb when it comes to this area of pregnancy. How long past due dates do doctors typically let women go before inducing/c-sections? Whenever she has the baby is fine with me, I am not trying to rush her, but I will be pretty bummed if I am out of town and miss it!

Re: A pregnancy-newb question (painless, I promise)

• It depends on the doctor and if she has had any complications (most common is gestational diabetes).  My doctor let me choose to be induced anytime after my due date and would not force induction until 2 weeks past.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My dr scheduled inductions around 41 weeks, depending on the health of the mom. I went early both times so it was never an issue for me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

View Full Size Image

• Loading the player...
  • I was 17 days over with my 1st. He was completely healthy.
  • I did wind up having an early induction at 39 w 4d but only because they knew my labors are extremely fast from my first experience in labor. With my first, I would have been pissed had I had to wait 2 weeks for my first induction had I gone further than he 1 week late that I went. But I still know the 2 weeks past due is the most respectable assumption for a first timer. It bothers me that they might say "they don't like to let most go past a week" because it is not at all unique to each mom.... I was healthy & my baby was fine at a week late -- but I know some people do prefer doctors who will induce on a certain date & in my eyes that's ridiculous, especially because I know SO many girls who once induced with heir first, wind up having a c section. Lots if money for the docs & hospital I guess so that's a win for them. I think her baby will be born October 9th. ;) You are right on!

• PunkyBoosterPunkyBooster member
    edited September 2013
    It totally depends. Personally I was having minor complications with my amniotic fluid levels and knew the chances of me making it to my due date were slim. I was induced at 38w when I ran out of fluid.

Bc of that, for me, I never would have been permitted to just wait it out.
  • Some will go 2 weeks or more. Most will not induce right at 40 weeks. And inducing because your sister is going on vacation isn't going to go over well with an OB with a clue.

40w6d is the standard gestation for a first pregnancy.

Why do you say dumb things? Did anyone say that my trip (which is not a vacation, it's business, FYI) had anything to do with this? No. I am merely saying what she said, and that was that she doubts they will let her go a week past her due date. I did not know if that's standard procedure or not. Read before you snark. Thanks.
  • Some will go 2 weeks or more. Most will not induce right at 40 weeks. And inducing because your sister is going on vacation isn't going to go over well with an OB with a clue.

Why do you say dumb things? Did anyone say that my trip (which is not a vacation, it's business, FYI) had anything to do with this? No. I am merely saying what she said, and that was that she doubts they will let her go a week past her due date. I did not know if that's standard procedure or not. Read before you snark. Thanks.
    Dude, are you fucking kidding??  Why the attitude?  She didn't say anything remotely "dumb".  You sound like a real peach....

Holy over reaction! GM was explaining how the doctor would view things. Chill.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • Stupid mobile quoting. My stuff is the last paragraph.
    Baby boy H is here! Born 2/1/2014 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Mysterious_wife: "And for the love of all things that sparkle, remove your last name" on BOTB.
  • The whole "inducing because your sister is going on vacation" line was a ridiculous assumption and was not one bit what I was implying, that's why I reacted the way I did. I never once made any sort of comment indicating that that was at all a consideration. I appreciate the answer she gave, but not the random assumption that I want her to have the baby because I am going OOT. Good lord.

To be fair, OP clearly stated that she would be happy whenever the baby came, she was just trying to work out her chances of being around...

OP I hear you, my SIL is due 2 days after DH and I go away, first baby in the family so we are all keeping fingers crossed for a few days early, SIL included!!

• PunkyBoosterPunkyBooster member
    edited September 2013
    Agree, the OP said she was going OOT and those are weekdays. She didn't say her sister was going on vacation. She also said it is her SIL.

OP, I get your excitement and it's sweet you are so excited but 1. Deliveries and recoveries don't always go well. I did not allow any visitors bc my recovery was horrible. I made most people wait 2 weeks. 2. Meeting the baby a day or 2 after being born won't kill anyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"