Health & Exercise

Crossfit Question

Hey All - I am a FTM, my LO is now 9.5 months old.  It has been a very exciting time with her but trying to juggle work, baby, and house has left little time for me to focus on me!  

Prior to pregnancy I was in good shape.  I am currently about 35lbs over my pre-pregnancy weight.  Throughout the years I have found that I am NOT a "gym" person -  meaning I cannot be disciplined enough to go to a gym and spend 45 minutes by myself on a treadmill.   I have found I am most successful when I can interact, be coached, and work with others - if that makes any sense.  Pre-pregnancy I did boxing and I really enjoyed that but unfortunately the place I used to go to is no longer around and I can’t find a good substitute.  

Nonetheless, I want to start working out again and getting back into shape.  I have a crossfit that is local to me and it seems like something that would fit my workout style. 

My question is - do you have to be in somewhat good shape to start or go to a crossfit?  I am weak, my endurance isn’t great, I feel like I am starting over and I am wondering if crossfit is a goodfit or if it is targeting to individuals who area already leading an active lifestyle…thoughts? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Crossfit Question

• I started at CF about 1.5 years ago. I was very overweight and out of shape when I started. They just modify the workouts so that I can complete them but are still very challenging for me. I also was bored easily working out in gyms. However, CF is a very supportive community. I think you should give it a try. I haven't lost a ton of weight but that is because I haven't changed my diet enough (and wasnt able to do it for awhile bc of my job) but I am much, much more fit and strong. The best part for me is that because every workout is so challenging, I feel like I have accomplished something every time I leave my gym.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimage
  • You should definitely try it! From what you described it seems like it would fit your personality too (which I think is the biggest obstacle with CF). They will definitely work with you to modify to meet your abilities and challenge you properly.

I've been doing Crossfit for about a year and a half, including six months of pregnancy. I can't say enough about what it has done for me physically, mood-wise and my general outlook on fitness. Give it a try, it's worth every penny.
  • Loading the player...
  • Be careful doing Crossfit. The injury rate depends on the trainer. I know several people who have been injured because they were either too tired to maintain proper form for an exercise or were never taught proper form.

***siggy warning***

Me: 29; DH: 53
    TTC since February 2013 --- mild thin PCOS (or not, depending on which RE you ask), MFI

TI#1: BFN (April 2014; Clomid 50mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Clomid 50 mg x4 days)
    IUI#1: c/p (May 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Estrace x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x10 days)
    IUI#2: abandoned... O'd early & DH hormone issues (June 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x2 days)
    IUI#2.1: BFN (July 2014; Letrozole 2.5 mg x5 days, Bravelle 75 IU x4 days)

Moving on to IVF. (Why we're moving on to IVF)

IVF#1 (w/ICSI): BCP 9/9-9/23. Gonal-F, Ganirelix, Low-dose HCG (antagonist protocol). 41R/35M/32F... 2 transferred on 10/14, 14 frosties! On cabergoline to help avoid OHSS. BFN, possibly because of 90% drop in estrogen and progesterone a few days after ET.
    FET#1: Transferring 2 on January 8. BFP! beta#1 (1/17): 408, beta#2 (1/20): 1310, first u/s scheduled 2/5

image    image
  • CrossFit sounds perfect for you. I was the same as you. I would go to the gym but not get a very good workout and certainly didn't push myself. I started out very out of shape but they scale everything to your starting point. You improve so quickly that you keep wanting to come back an work harder to see more results. There will be people of all levels and ages there and at most gyms there is a real team atmosphere. I say definately go for it and good luck!
  • Crossfit will be a good fit. They modify the workouts to meet your fitness level and as your skill, strength and fitness increase you can start doing the workouts as they are originally written.

I crossfitted all during pregnancy and ion the 28 weeks following (minus 6 weeks of course ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Crossfit will be a good fit. They modify the workouts to meet your fitness level and as your skill, strength and fitness increase you can start doing the workouts as they are originally written.

I crossfitted all during pregnancy and ion the 28 weeks following (minus 6 weeks of course ;)
    BabyFetus Ticker Little Riley-our first little girl coming March 1st, 2013 (or sometime around there;)
  • Crossfit will be great!  Expect to go light weights in the beginning.  It is very important you get the right form down for all the lifts.  There are modifications and progressions for every exercise to meet your needs.  Attend a class and take note to see if the coach/trainer pays close attention to everyone's form.  It is very important so you don't injure yourself.  It's great comrarderie and competition so you won't get bored.  Enjoy!

We can't wait to meet you, our baby surfer GIRL!!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary

IMG_0517
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"