Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

Morning Wake Up Problems

My DD will be 2 next Wednesday, so I thought I'd post this here. In the past week or so our DD is almost inconsolable in the morning when we wake her up. She goes down around 7:45 - 8:00pm and wake up at 6:30ish on the weekdays and about 7:00 or 7:15am on the weekends. She takes a 2 hour nap during the afternoon. The weekends don't seem to be as big of a problem. When we walk in her room we try to gently wake her up. She used to let us pick her up out of the crib, change her diaper, change her clothes and we'd be downstairs for breakfast lickety split. Now she basically throws a tantrum when we try to pick her up out of the crib and she barely tolerates the changing. When we finally make it downstairs she refuses to eat. I know she is hungry though. It takes about 15 minutes before she'll touch food and by then we are struggling get out the door on time. I realize this might just be phase, but it sure is wearing on us. 

Does anyone have any experience with something similar? My hope is that this too shall pass!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Morning Wake Up Problems

• Options
    Can  you get her to bed earlier during the week so  you don't have to wake  her and she gets more sleep? Or can she eat breakfast at daycare (or wherever she goes) so you don't need to spend time on that in the morning?
  • Options
    She's not ready to get up at the earlier time.  Adults get cranky too if they are woken up before they are ready, particularly in the middle of a sleep cycle (and even more in the middle of a dream).  Can you try to make sure she has a completely consistent wake-up time throughout the whole week, and get her to bed a little earlier to help make up for that sleep?  Also, give her a little more time in the morning - it sounds like your morning is rushed, and for someone who didn't want to wake up and hasn't transitioned to being awake yet, rushing them only makes them crankier.  (Yes, that might mean you have to set wake-up time at 6:15am for every day, including weekends.)  And be as patient and gentle as you can. 

My daughter has always taken a while to wake up - like a minimum of 30 minutes when she was that age. And she doesn't eat until she's been awake for nearly an hour. (Just like my husband.)  She can always have breakfast in the car (or maybe at daycare?).
    IMG_8355
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I think I'll see if we can get her down sooner.I agree with TiffanyBerry that she is most likely in a deep sleep cycle. Maybe we should also stop trying to get her breakfast in the morning and let her eat at daycare. I'll have to think on that one little bit.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"