Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

Serving sizes? Portion size?

Forgive me for sounding so dumb but how much table food should a 10 month old be eating? I don't want to over or under feed as a FTM. We have been giving bits and pieces of table food and following it up with a jar of baby food. I want to start switching over to all table food but don't know what her meal should consist of. I see that baby should get 6 servings of grain per day, 2 fruit, 2 meat, 1 dairy, 3 veggie and not sure how to split that up. Any suggestions?

Re: Serving sizes? Portion size?

• Options
    Don't really worry about any of this. Feed them as mush as they want. They should learn when they feel full. Also, a "serving" in toddler and baby terms is tiny. Like a few tablespoons at best. Just don't focus on it. If your feeding a well rounded diet then they should be able to control how much they put it.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    We've been doing BLW and I never thought about serving size or portion size.  DS has been self-feeding since 6.5 months.  Some meals DS will eat a lot, some meals everything gets thrown on the floor.  For dinner, I'll offer him a few pieces of protein, a few pieces of veggies, and a few pieces of carbs.  If he eats them, I offer more.  Some nights he may only eat the veggies; some nights he'll only eat the protein and carbs.  It's not like I can force him to eat something when he doesn't want it.  When he's full, he'll start throwing foods on the floor, and then we're done.  Right now he's teething, and he barely eats any solids.

He does love fruits and he gets fruits 3x a day.  I offer as much fruit as he'll eat (sometimes he'll eat an entire peach or plum in 1 setting).
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We haven't used baby food in a few months. She's pretty much just always eaten what we do. She stops when she's full. Actually she starts throwing it!

• Options
    We let LO eat until she starts throwing it on the floor. She is finished at that point and there's no way to get more in her. The amount really just depends on her mood. Some days she will barely eat and others she will eat a TON.
  • Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    rsideemd said:
    We let LO eat until she starts throwing it on the floor. She is finished at that point and there's no way to get more in her. The amount really just depends on her mood. Some days she will barely eat and others she will eat a TON.
    Exactly this for us too!
  • Options
    We've always done BLW and DD just eats as much as she wants. That being said I remember my pedi saying a serving size for a baby is about a tablespoon.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    I feel like my son generally eats a fairly large amount of food at most meals.  He's also 10 months, but he's over 2.5 feet tall.  We're starting to feed him more table foods, sometimes mixed with baby food.  I let him eat until he's done (being distracted or turning his head, etc.)  I know they say that the stomach is the size of your fist, and it seems like he eats at least 2 (baby) fist fulls in one sitting.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    As long as you are feeding healthy foods, I wouldn't give a second thought to "overfeeding." If they are taking it in, then they want and need it.

Nothing wrong with a robust baby. :)
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    i really don't pay attention to how much i'm giving her, she will stop eating when she's full :)
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    I'm one of those crazy moms that makes his baby food from scratch (wasn't able to breastfeed so my guilt drives this one for sure lol).  We feed our little one (20 lb very active boy) 3- six oz bottles of formula and he eats 3 meals a day consisting of the equivalent of 6-8 ice cubes of food.  We think he might be lactose intolerant so are backing off the dairy but typically he gets 2 cubes of fruit each meal, 2 cubes of a vegetable and either 2 cubes of a different starchy vegetable (sweet potato, etc) or 2 cubes of a grain.  Sometimes he is still hungry and will eat another vegetable or a protein.  I try to stay away from puffs and other filler foods but he loves grapes as a snack (we cut them up) and most of the food we make for him is chunky so he practices eating all the time.  Our ped approved the above menu but if you are concerned I would call yours- we can leave a message with the nurse and she calls us back with an answer from the doc so that is helpful for a ftm like me :)
  • Options
    my son is going to be 10 months and he eats whatever we eat and doctor says he is perfect. he knows when he is full and will start blocking his mouth with his hands and turning away.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"